In tank fuel pump for BHW

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
I'm using an 87 4 runner fuel tank. It is efi. For the sake of keeping it clean i was considering installing a low pressure in tank fuel pump.

Way back in 1985 the f250 came with a 490 engine and dual fuel tanks. Inside each tank was a fuel pump. 5psi and 40 gph.

5/16 diameter hose.

It is a simple 2 spade style terminal fuel pump.

Is 40 gph good enough for the bhw? I believe 5psi is what the oem pump put out.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Sounds like overkill to me. I put an om606 engine with VE style Bosch pump engine in my 97 F150 which is equipped with an in tank pump. It is sufficient for the 3 liter Mercedes no problem. The F150 was oe return line style so the Bosch just sends excess back to the tank. I would advise a return line on your setup so it doesn't matter what volume pump you run. Curious what your whole setup is as I'm planning a BHW into an 03 Explorer automatic.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
The 87 4 runner (or similar era pickup) will have 3 hoses coming from tank not including filler tube and vent.

1 is for pickup. The carb non efi tank has no fuel pump provision.

I'm using an r150f 5 speed from a 1989 to 1995 3.0 v6 pickup or 4runner. I wanted to use a slush box but couldn't find reviews on the tdi with the compushift.

The little lady is getting a slightly tuned om602.962 in her 99 discovery 2 using a zf slush box, it will get the compushift.

Braddman

TDI
2006 Audi A4 BHW 2.0 TDI, 2005 Toyota Tacoma BHW TDI Swap
In my TDI Tacoma I am using the factory Toyota lift pump connected to a Holley carburetor dead head 4.5 to 9psi fuel pressure regulator adjusted to about 14psi. PART# 12-803 I am thinking I can adjust the regulator above 9psi because diesel fuel is thicker then gasoline and it seams to allows for higher pressure adjustment.

I had to use a dead head regulator because the Toyota uses a basket style fuel pump assembly with an eductor connected off of the pump outlet port. The eductor is used to draw fuel into the bottom of the fuel bucket from the bottom of the fuel tank. This prevents the fuel pump from sucking in air when the fuel tank is low because the fuel bucket will always stay full of fuel.

Without a dead head regulator I would not have enough fuel pressure for the eductor to work properly. I also drilled the eductor port out larger to help the thicker fuel flow through the eductor faster. I think I used a 3/64” drill bit but I don’t remember. I have put 20,000km on this setup with no issues.

BEW lift pumps produce around 14psi. Here is a great thread dissecting a BEW fuel pump assembly. https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/2005-bew-pd-lift-pump-operation-and-internals.225672/

If your fuel pump doesn’t have an eductor I’d probably recommend a Holly Carb bypass regulator. That is what I think @jimbote is using in his Toyota pickup. The other option would be to try and fit the BHW fuel pump inside the tank.

Last edited: