In desperate need of help in Columbus, OH

mcolmsted

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Jetta Wagon
We were up this weekend for a vintage base ball festival and are supposed to be leaving tomorrow. However, as we were attempting to leave the festival today, our 03 VW Jetta wagon refused to start. It won't turn over, etc. We know there is an error code being thrown of P0228. According to Autozone, this is the throttle position sensor.

Is there anyone who can tell me what this is, how it can be fixed, and if there is anyway to get it fixed in order for us to drive home to St Louis tomorrow?

If not, the plan is to rent a Uhaul trailer and have a friend tow our car back tomorrow. It's going to be a tight fit for all of us in his truck, though, so we'd prefer to get it fixed if at all possible. Any and all help is MUCH appreciated!!

Courtney

Last edited:

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GOLF 2DR, ‘15 Passat SEL TDI
everyone is at the fest in cincinnati right now... try posting on the fest forum for help. maybe someone will be passing that way on the way home.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
I take it you were at the Ohio Village for the Muffins or the woman's league game.

If I understand the problem, it means the car's computer does not know where the throttle is. It is like a broken throttle cable in an older car.

As noted all those who know what is going on were down near Cincinnati this weekend, but they should be getting back in town about now. Hopefully one of them will read this and hopefully they will have some specific help ideas.

I am in Hilliard (North West Columbus). If I can be of any help (614-876-6814) but I am no mechanic.

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
It may sound funny but is your battery up to snuff? If getting the battery back to normal doesn't get it running, you're probably looking at replacing the throttle pedal assy. where the throttle position indicator lives. I'm basing this on a quick search of the code in these forums. Some indicated a battery problem just before or during the incident. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

mcolmsted

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Jetta Wagon
Thanks, Mark! MOGolf is here this morning and his initial assessment is the battery as well. They're headed out to get a battery and hopefully that will get us back on the road! :)

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
YAY I knew MoGolf would be there to rescue you.

He is a Saint around these parts!

mcolmsted

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Jetta Wagon
Thanks to MOGolf and a new battery, the car is up and running! We'll be heading home today. Thanks for all of the help and suggestions!! :D

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
GREAT NEWS! :cool: …and they all lived happily ever after… :D You can never tell where Glen will turn up next, definitely one of the "Higher Powers" in the TDI club! As soon as I read he was on the case, I could rest easy. Way to go Glen! Congrats Courtney, glad you could touch base with some of your MiGTG peeps too.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
I talked to mcolmsted. They all made it home safely with no further problems. :)

mcolmsted

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Jetta Wagon
I certainly wasn't expecting to run into any TDIers in Columbus (although I had tried to convince the hubby that I could run down to TDIFest while he was playing base ball), but boy am I ever glad I did! MOGolf saved the day (and our weekend, and probably a good part of our week) with his willingness to help. Thanks again, Glen!!