In Cabin Electric heater

dae06

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2005.5 1.9
I believe I am supposed to have this "electric cabin heater" in my 2005.5 Jetta pkg 1 with climate control, but am not sure if I am doing things correctly.

I've read to turn the dial to the "Red Dot". I have a red dot, but no indicator telling me I am pointing to it. I have also read to turn it to 80 degrees. Is it really 80, because I can turn it past 80 all the way to "HI".

Either way, I don't seem to get instant heat.

I can not find anything in the manual, Please give me your suggestions.

Thanks.

dayne66

Veteran Member
TDI
(TRADED)2006 Jetta TDI Package 3 (Cdn) 5 sp
Econ light not lit, temp knob as high as it goes, fan on low......and it's not exactly "instant" ...but mine is blowing warmish air in about 45 seconds, many minutes before the temp guage even budges....that's if the 2005's had it...I'm not sure'

dae06

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2005.5 1.9
dayne66 said:
Econ light not lit, temp knob as high as it goes, fan on low......and it's not exactly "instant" ...but mine is blowing warmish air in about 45 seconds, many minutes before the temp guage even budges....that's if the 2005's had it...I'm not sure'
Do you feel heat while idling, even before you start driving?

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
Mine heats up rather quickly. The heater I believe is in the heater core box. I leave my temp set to 72* and fan on low. Works well, better than any gasser I've owned. But I must say this, my car sits in my heated garage that is set at 50*. I guess I'll see what happends when it actually gets cold out when I leave work.

dayne66

Veteran Member
TDI
dae06 said:
Do you feel heat while idling, even before you start driving?
Yep...on the odd day I idle for more than a few seconds before easing out of the driveway.

philip_g

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta
dayne66 said:
Fan doesn't have to be on low.

dayne66

Veteran Member
TDI
philip_g said:
Fan doesn't have to be on low.
You are right, but , I seem to feel the heat a bit sooner if I start it out on low...then up the fan a notch or 2 when I feel heat.

Claudio

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta SW
on my 09 i put temp on 80, air recyle ON, air conditioning ON and fan on 4, and it works right away (30 sec or so)

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Reason for fan on low is to maximize temp of air exiting vents. Recirculating air and leaving all other electric heaters OFF for first few minutes does wonders when car at -0. Can't speak for '09 & '10 models, but my AUX heater blows mildly-warm air, which is just fine at -0.

philip_g

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta
MyAvocation said:
Reason for fan on low is to maximize temp of air exiting vents. Recirculating air and leaving all other electric heaters OFF for first few minutes does wonders when car at -0. Can't speak for '09 & '10 models, but my AUX heater blows mildly-warm air, which is just fine at -0.
On my 06 I notice zero difference in the discharge temps between 1 and 2.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
When you start the car, put your hand down by the heater air outlet and some warm air will start coming out.

abarns

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Pkg 1
It's not going to be smokin' hot, it's just going to take the edge off a little. To really notice that it's warm you'll have to hold your hand next to the vent as mentioned.

abakos

Veteran Member
TDI
-----
dae06 said:
OK I may be getting a little heat right away. I'll check better tomorrow.

Thanks
My car has the Climatronic (or whatever it's called...) auto climate system and as I recall I had to enable the electric heater through Vag-Com. Works pretty well though. I'll start to get warm air after less than a minute or so, well before the temperature gauge even thought about moving.

Of course I still can't figure out why in the hell VW would put in an electric heater and not enable it. Perhaps this is something the dealer would need to enable on delivery? Makes no sense unless it depends on destination.

philip_g

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta
abarns said:
It's not going to be smokin' hot, it's just going to take the edge off a little. To really notice that it's warm you'll have to hold your hand next to the vent as mentioned.
it's enough to be comfortable on single digit mornings when the car doesn't get up to temp for 15 minutes or more

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Was -1ºF this morning... car in driveway (wanted to test battery condition). Noticable heat after 2 minutes. Waited 5 minutes before turning heated seat on. Drove 25 miles (50 minutes)... motor never reached full operating temp.

Does anyone block-off their radiator in winter? How about you Canucks? If so, what's your material and fastener of choice?

MBoni

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen
MyAvocation said:
Does anyone block-off their radiator in winter? How about you Canucks? If so, what's your material and fastener of choice?
Somewhere around here, there's a nice thread on the topic, but the best/cheapest choice seems to be foam pipe insulation (like you'd wrap around your water pipes in the basement). Just cut them to the appropriate length and insert between the slats of your radiator grill. You can control how much air is blocked by adding individual pieces, and remove as needed when it gets warmer out. No need to use any sort of glue/tape, friction keeps them in place.

johnt26

TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan
I have been researching the aux electric heater thing for the 2009s and I'm still not convinced either way.
In early research it seems that my enabling of the aux heat with the VCDS has worked. I got nothing before that after a cold soak but tried after enabling tonight and got heat quickly.
After an all night cold soak in the mid/low 20s tonight, we'll see in the morning!
I called VW Customer Care, they didn't know (surprise!), but said I should contact the dealer since they are the experts.:( I said, "the dealer that knew less about the car than the information printed in the brochure and had to be schooled on the oil capacity of an '09 TDI after an overfill? No Thanks! :cool:

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
My experience, which is nil, is that it has to be on the passenger vents. Not the defrost or floor.

Isn't that why there is that honking huge vent in the middle of the dash? That only works when it's on the passenger vents right?

My experience is about 20 minutes in my friends 06 TDI.

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
Have 2 - 2005.5 Jetta TDI's and both have the electric cabin heater. Turn the heat to high and don't have other set to economy and I get heat right away in mornings, like this past week @ 15F or so

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The heating element sits right in front of the heater core, so you get heat in the same places you would from the core.

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
I wanted to mention something that I have noticed on my '10. It doesn't matter what temperature I have the HVAC system set to (well, I haven't tried full cold yet), but I hear the relay clicking when it's cold out and I start the car. So, you don't need to turn the heat all the way up to get the aux heater to turn on.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
MBoni said:
Somewhere around here, there's a nice thread on the topic, but the best/cheapest choice seems to be foam pipe insulation (like you'd wrap around your water pipes in the basement). Just cut them to the appropriate length and insert between the slats of your radiator grill. You can control how much air is blocked by adding individual pieces, and remove as needed when it gets warmer out. No need to use any sort of glue/tape, friction keeps them in place.
Here you go.
http://www.southlandvw.ca/dcm2/parts_specials.html