Improving the rain sensing wipers on 2012 models

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
As most of you know the 2012 NMS models all have a rain / light sensor. The rain sensor / auto wiper function was disabled from the factory. Many chose to use VCDS to enable the rain sensor. The problem I observed is that the sensitivity isn't very good... the wipers are either going too fast or too slow and will often pause when they shouldn't, then go on high for a moment before slowing, then pausing, and repeating.

However, today I found there is an adjustment on the rain sensor!

With the doors unlocked connect to the body control module on address 09. Then go to coding, and pick the rain light sensor from the drop down, and press long coding helper:

Go to the 3rd block (Byte 2) and you'll see you can adjust the sensitivity.

The stock coding on our car was 0A. I changed it to BB. With the sensitivity switch on the stalk turned up all the way I found the wipers behaved much better.

I'll report back with my results on this, but I can already tell the auto wipers work much more sanely with the new coding.

PS: I'm curios what the coding is on the 2015 SEL models, which had the ran sensor active from the factory. Anybody have an autoscan they can share?

PPS: There is also an adjustment in the RLS for the headlight activation threshold. I turned it down one setting so the headlights turn on sooner.

PPPS: See here for info on turning on the rain sensing wipers: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/b7/vw-passat-auto-wiper-activation.htm

Thanks,

-Jason

Last edited:

BPofMD

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
Thanks Jason.... just had my windshield replaced and for whatever reason I now don't like the way they are behaving....If this monsoon lets up a little, I'll try your BB adjustment and will report back.

banshee365

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
This may go without saying but you know the sensor sensitivity is also controlled via the intermittent setting delay switch right?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
This may go without saying but you know the sensor sensitivity is also controlled via the intermittent setting delay switch right?
Yes, of course. Unfortunately, that adjustment range was not sufficient and the wipers still had a mind of their own.

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
Just checked our '15 SEL, and long coding was 02 30 0A. Also confirmed VCDS will work with Windows 10. I'm sure that is out there somewhere, but I hadn't looked into it.

My wife comments that if someone in front of her uses their windshield washers, her wipers will activate.

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
So far VeeDubTDI and I have been very pleased with this change. I was actually thinking of disabling the auto wipers because they would spaz out so often.

-J

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
mine wipe the dry window a time or two, mostly when bugs bounce off one of the 4 sensors

dc2002

TDI
2013 Passat SE Roof Nav
Great find! did this over the weekend and seems to be working much more consistently now.

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Golf SEL Sportwagen, 2005 Jetta TDI, John Deere 355D
Maybe I'm crazy, but I have zero complaints from the rain sensing wipers on my 2013. Much better than the Bmw 545 I had before this car. They seem to work perfectly for me. I would love however, to find a delay in the time it takes for the headlights to come on when dark. Not a sensitivity threshold, but a time threshold. I despise pulling in my garage and having the headlights turn on right before I shut the car off.

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
Just did this to mine finally! This week is going to be a good week to try it

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I had to turn ours on with VCDS, but have had no issues. When we bought the car they didn't work, and the service person at the dealership actually told us that "-the only cars that they work on are those sold in South Korea." Which was so preposterous on the face of it that I just waited until I'd purchased VCDS and turned them on myself.
I believe some people's dissatisfaction with the interval wipers is that they're not continuous, i.e., the only speeds available are the ones normally switched by the stalk: off, interval, slow, fast. We used to have a SAAB that had the continuous type, which some may prefer.