Import of European Cars to U.S.

tdihopeful

Veteran Member
TDI
03 2dr 5sp Golf
Wanting to know a little more of whats involved in importing cars from Europe specifically the U.K. What I know already is shipping cost is approximately 600-1,000 to get a car across "the pond" that's pretty much where my understanding stops. As for import fees registration of a foreign vehicle etc. I would like to know. Another matter is I have heard if a family member with dual citizenship shipped the vehicle as they're personal vehicle various taxes and or fees can be avoided.

tdihopeful

Veteran Member
TDI
03 2dr 5sp Golf
Thanks for the link. Considering "Diesel Gate" VW emissions scandal an ICI would likely be needed for any of the newer models.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Any vehicle imported needs to be 25 years old or older and with original engine. Frank at miniobsession@hotmail.com has imported hundreds of vehicles and knows how to do it the least expensive way plus doing the paperwork correctly.

ThatBruceGuy

TDI
2015 GSW DSG
Hey there @tdihopeful :) When you want to import a vehicle into the USA it must be certified as "compliant to all USA standards".
That means the vehicle must meet all of the FMVSS standards for that car, including Crash Standards.
All of these rules make it so you can only import cars that were also sold in the exact same configuration as their USA counterpart.

Any slight variation in the car that's scrutinized by a FMVSS regulation will make it difficult to import. Unless it's 25 years old.
And then, there's also the cost of getting your car EPA certified. Any car that's not older than 21 years old must also get an EPA test.

I don't think you could even import a LHD B5 Passat into the USA without it being identical to its USA counterpart which you would then have to prove.

That's why the 25 year is so often talked about in the JDM scene. Once the car is 25 years old, the importation gets A LOT cheaper.
That's why every year you see an article titled "It's 2021, click here to see what cool cars from 1996 can you now buy!"