Import mk4 pd150

Jimmybid

TDI
2002 ALH Jetta wagon and 2006 BRM Jetta
I want 4motion and I was pointed toward importing a tdi found an amazing pd150 with a 6 speed 4 motion and 140k mikes I’m wondering a few things about the import process
1 is the date I can import it 25 years from the manufacture date or the year of the model?
2 will the pd150 be able to meet emissions laws even if I instal a cat? Can I oversize the cat so I don’t have to mess with the ecu?
I live in a state w emissions testing for cars 15 years and newer but to get it in the states it has to meet a standard and idk what that would be
3 will it fail for not being up to par with crash safety due to the added 4motion

ts888

Veteran Member
TDI
03 ALH
For the US, 25 years is the cut off. From a Fed perspective, the vehicle will need to meet the Fed rules for the year of manufacture, but given that year is now 1998, a German car will likely be OK -- They're looking at lights, glass, safety type stuff.

State rules are an entirely different challenge. Given you live in the NE, maybe consider registering the vehicle in Vermont? That used to be a good option for gray market cars, at least in the past.

You should find an experienced importer to help you. I brought in a car from the UK in 2011 using an experienced broker, and it was smooth and easy.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Right now the only way to import is in pieces. Korwerks did it for years with "half cuts". Canada can do 15 years. And it's build date. You'd probably have to use a BEW ECU to be able to use OBDii for emissions (NY does plug in testing).

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
Right now the only way to import is in pieces. Korwerks did it for years with "half cuts". Canada can do 15 years. And it's build date. You'd probably have to use a BEW ECU to be able to use OBDii for emissions (NY does plug in testing).
That's not true. " A motor vehicle that is at least 25 years old can be lawfully imported into the U.S. without regard to whether it complies with all applicable FMVSS."

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Move to Canada; we can import non-NAR cars that are only 15yrs old, so anything mid-2008 and earlier is now fair game to import and get registered all legit.

Do I spend way too much time on mobile.de plotting how/if I should import cars like this? :cool:
(130hp ASZ engine, 4motion, 230K km, under €4000)

Last edited:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nope.
Lacking someone there (as in Germany) that I know and trust who could take a look and then help get the car to port for shipping is the sticking point for me, particularly with a private seller like the car above.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Nope.
Lacking someone there (as in Germany) that I know and trust who could take a look and then help get the car to port for shipping is the sticking point for me, particularly with a private seller like the car above.
Haven’t you always wanted to see Germany for yourself? *wink wink*

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Nope.
How is it that with a global presence like TDIClub that there aren't better connections with people in Europe? In counterpoint though I will say I thought I had a good connection to get a new B3 euro headlight lens and the idiot sent a glass lens in a bubble mailer...only, nothing more. When it arrived in shards and I complained he said he wasn't doing anything more about it because I was too critical of him....which honestly sounds like a scammer to me. He's on FB...I should call him out on it...he ended up being a sleaze.

At any rate, someone in the Mk3/B4 forum is stationed in Germany and has purchased a couple cars.......

Steve

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Actually....now that you mention it....
Member @Frans here, proprietor of DutchAutoParts.com, has a link on his website where he lists that they help export cars, primarily to Canada. :D

I did contact him a couple years ago asking about it, but it sounded like there wasn't much demand these days.

I might hit him up again, though, and see if he might be willing / able to help track something down.

Edit: Here's his thread here.

And specifically this car is what got me a-drooling:

Last edited:

454k30

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
I want 4motion and I was pointed toward importing a tdi found an amazing pd150 with a 6 speed 4 motion and 140k mikes I’m wondering a few things about the import process
1 is the date I can import it 25 years from the manufacture date or the year of the model?
2 will the pd150 be able to meet emissions laws even if I instal a cat? Can I oversize the cat so I don’t have to mess with the ecu?
I live in a state w emissions testing for cars 15 years and newer but to get it in the states it has to meet a standard and idk what that would be
3 will it fail for not being up to par with crash safety due to the added 4motion
Hey! These are great questions and I can help answer most of them.

1. It is from the date of manufacture.
2. State emissions are tricky. Some states the import must be made to comply with local standards (CA where I now live). Some states don't test diesel cars at all (WA where I came from trucks do get tested). If your state doesn't have any requirement for testing on a 25 year old diesel then you are fine.
3. Once a car is 25 years old the federal crash test standards do not apply. This and federal emissions standards are what drive the the 25 year import rule. Before someone chimes in, yes it is more complex than this but I do not want to write a book here. Basically once a car is 25 years old, the federal government does not look at the emissions and safety. But do not confuse this with state restrictions for titling and licensing. Fed laws and state laws do not work together, and being legal for one does not guarantee the other.

If you'd like to read more about the import process I suggest reading this awesome blog. https://wittymelon.wordpress.com/portfolio/importing-vehicles-into-the-u-s/

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Yes...it is more complex...in fact you can petition (I think that's what they called it) for a vehicle to be allowed into the US based on certain criteria for instance if you're wanting to import a variant of a car already brought it.

Also, you can find a list of cars that others brought it already that can pave the way for yours if someone has already done it. I.e. you don't necessarily have to repeat the process if someone already brought in that same version of the car.

There are a number of things that can be done to accomplish a particular import but it take time and effort...and money.

Steve