import mexican mk4 to USA?

apeck618

TDI
2012 golf 2dr TDI, 6speed
Would it be possible to import the Mexican mk4? It looks like it is still produced to this day. possibly buy a donor American jetta to swap the vins, So it could be road legal.

I would like to get one and swap everything to make it look like a 2005 GLI.
Since there doesn't seem to be any 05 gli's that are in good shape anymore, and that is my favorite Vw.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Go to Florida, Texas, Arizona, New Mexico or California vehicles that have spent their lives down there still look new underneath.

Louisiana, Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi are also good sources.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Swapping vin's would be illegal. Importing one from Mexico nearly if not all the way impossible for a US citizen. IIRC some embasy people can do that but that is it. It also must go back and not stay here. So give up on this idea. Shop for cars in the Southern states if that is what you want to do. Probably cheaper too than your idea.

Carlos_TJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Bora (BXE PD)
OP have you ever seen a post 2005 mexican mk4? They are severely decontented. They have basic features the US spec mk4 GLI is far better equipped.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
swap the vins, So it could be road legal.
That won't make it road legal. That's a modification that is likely to land you in prison, though, unlike the other scary legalese warnings about modding emissions components, etc.

apeck618

TDI
2012 golf 2dr TDI, 6speed
That won't make it road legal. That's a modification that is likely to land you in prison, though, unlike the other scary legalese warnings about modding emissions components, etc.
no one would need to know but me, its not like it would be stolen since i would own both of them.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
no one would need to know but me, its not like it would be stolen since i would own both of them.
You and the hordes of people on the Internet that you spilled your guts to