Impexfest VI - May 4th & 5th, 2007

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta
BrianCT said:
I'm just wondering how a vehicle with emissions VIN for gasoline could get emissions as a diesel, especially since no such vehicle-engine combination has ever been produced.:(

If someone could P.M. me on how you get a recent make/model gasoline vehicle to pass a standard in diesel [a non-existant in model year]... by all means do so.

Or is the Corrado too olde for this testing or from canada?

In connecticut you have to really pull hairs to get a non-diesel vehicle into diesel vehicle emissions qualifications [certainly when the vehicle has never produced diesel in it body/make style].:(

BrianCT
I'm going to guess the owner lives in an area with no emission testing (most of the country doesnt test)

Or, they obtained an exemption... shouldnt be too hard.

Justler

Veteran Member
Most likely switched the engine type at the DMV/MVA. Probably a somewhat difficult process, but I wouldn't think it would be too hard. May even just be a check box =P.

Glad to hear everyone had such a great time!

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I had the tittle changed to reflect a fuel type of diesel when I registered the car for the first time. NC does have emissions is the larger areas like charlotte and Winston-Salem from what a friend of mine told me. My change was very simple.

I have looked into whats involved in california to do the same swap there and as long as the engine is newer then the car and all the emissions equipment from the newer engine is in place there is no problem with the swap. You would have to go through DMV and a referee station the first time but after that you would be set. My car does not have the EGR but the european intake manifold with the DS inlet does and if I move or sell the car to CA the EGR will go back on.

The diesel-Geek Corrado is currently registered in California

R2point0

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 2015, Silver; Passat, 1997, Blue
Had a great time at the 'Fest. Thanks a lot to Paramedick for helping me with the IP seal on my '97 B4, and for pulling our chestnuts out of the fire with the black B4. Slick Diesel-Purge setup, too.

I was feeling guilty about leaving the wife with the monkeys, so I went home early, but after seeing pics I'm staying for the whole evening next year.

R2point0

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
BlueCTTDi said:
Is that a Corrado I see up there???

oh, now I'm REALLY pi$$ed off that I couldn't make it.. beautiful ride :)
There were THREE Corrados there! One with a TDI transplant and other two were still gasser motorvated.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
david_594 said:
Lito, thats your jetta right? When did you pick up a set of Montreal II's?
When he got rid of the Tocattas due to lower mpg/way harsh ride on the fine streets of Baltimore. A year ago the switch was made as the Tocattas headed to Ohio after the 2006 ImpexFest and they are now rolling around on a Columbus based Jetta TDI.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
CoolWht said:
There were THREE Corrados there! One with a TDI transplant and other two were still gasser motorvated.
The other silver one had over 500whp:

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Marauderer said:
Everyone was awed by PeterV's T-Red Jetta in it's new shiny silver paint. Jettafock was especially taken by the new rims it has!

topgut

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI
loved IMPEXfest

Thanks to all the organizers of the IMPEXfest. I greatly appreciate your efforts. People helping people is wonderful to see. A special thanks to Paramedik for helping me fix my ECU turbo boost sensor tubing and letting me drive HIS CAR......WOW. Ed? and I loved the boost. To the fellow who inquired, that was my black B4 Passat TDI for sale. I was wearing the "Nuclear Powered" T-shirt. All in all it was a great first IMPEXfest for me. I hope to see Jeff this summer and do it again next time. Thanks again!

John in PA

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Lito Great time and again thanks for doing all the work. John S. Thanks for the use & effort that the Impex crew did.

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE
Medic92 said:
Tom, your sausage tasted great.
:eek: :D

Lito - Once again, great job! I think you've finally gotten a dinner plan that is FOOLproof and easy - don't change it!

John - Once again, thanks for opening your place to us. This is a GTG we always look forward to!

I uploaded pics late Sat night...I guess I didn't upload them all the way...too sleepy...
I'll try again tonight.

Stay tuned for Tomo's pole dance!

Last edited:

zocco

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS TDI
Ditto like everyone else...thanks for a great event! Being my first, I learned a lot, and met some great folks!

I'll share my favorite random site I saw during the day.
- Paramedick taking a hammer to an injector pump while looking at the vagcom, answered two other members questions regarding other wrenching projects and gave directions to three other people. Now that is multitasking. :D

BrianCT said:
What's the story on that clogged intake.:(
That intake was mine. 2k Golf w/ 95K. I peaked in to see how bad it was. Thanks to Snowball for the personal direction. Now I need to set aside sometime for the full cleaning as I chickened out getting it done on saturday. :eek:

Dave

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE
MikeS_18 said:
Hamster was angry that I was not a Zaino groupie and declared I still had swirls. and of course, it rained on the way home. lol!
Angry? No, I was just thinking how sad it was that you put Johnna thru all that work when a simple two step Zaino would have left you guys with more time to have fun…and better results!:eek:

No wonder it rained…LoL…:D :p

CoolWht said:
Did anyone miss not getting sunburned this year? Think that's a new record for ImpexFest!
Yes – me! I was looking forward to getting at least a little sun… No, I did not miss the HOT and HUMID, though.

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
zocco said:
Ditto like everyone else...thanks for a great event! Being my first, I learned a lot, and met some great folks!

I'll share my favorite random site I saw during the day.
- Paramedick taking a hammer to an injector pump while looking at the vagcom, answered two other members questions regarding other wrenching projects and gave directions to three other people. Now that is multitasking. :D

That intake was mine. 2k Golf w/ 95K. I peaked in to see how bad it was. Thanks to Snowball for the personal direction. Now I need to set aside sometime for the full cleaning as I chickened out getting it done on saturday. :eek:

Dave
Is that the one with the Biodiesel sticker on the back of it?

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
I do want to publicly thank the tool less MOGolf for his profound knowledge and assistance in rectifying several TDI specific fixes. Once again he gives of his knowledge. His patience is renowned for these miserably designed German parts that should fit but are slightly disoriented or at least to those of us that are uninitiated.

Thanks Glenn

Marauderer

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta "Diesel Edition"
PeterV said:
I do want to publicly thank the tool less MOGolf for his profound knowledge and assistance in rectifying several TDI specific fixes. Once again he gives of his knowledge. His patience is renowned for these miserably designed German parts that should fit but are slightly disoriented or at least to those of us that are uninitiated.
Thanks Glenn
Yes, it was quite a pleasant surprise to not have Glenn working from early to late and just socializing.

Thanks Glenn

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Hamsterdiesel said:
:eek: :D
Stay tuned for Tomo's pole dance!
We have to see the pole dance AFTER we all were blinded at Bertucci's? :eek: BTW, the T-shirt you gave him was a GREAT choice! :)

I forgot to thank Glen for jumping in on the second Passat IP seal replacement. That sucker DID NOT want to come back into spec. All ended well under his masterful touch. Only had to take it apart a 1/2 dozen times, though.

Last edited:

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Uh-oh, I see plug wires!

Why didn't the border patrol grab this perp prior to entering the IMPEX zone :confused:

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
You're all welcome, but I should have brought the blue gloves anyway. ;)

Thanks John for another fest, and the soap and water.

Thanks Lito for the organizing and little addition into the fuel tank. I do think that it may have helped. I'll try more in my normal fuel later. This tank was topped up with LSD (not ULSD) on the way back. It seems to be idling more smooth.

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
I'll fess up. I too brought a gasser to Impexfest :eek::eek::eek::eek: But in my defense it was because I needed to the dent guys to see if they could fix a ding in the door of my 2007 Eos. Unfortunately, mine was the first Eos they had ever worked on and the dent was not repairable because there was too much bracing behind the door. Next year, I'll bring my Passat I promise ;)

dieseldorf said:
Why didn't the border patrol grab this perp prior to entering the IMPEX zone :confused:

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
dieseldorf said:
While TDI's dominate at ImpexFest it is not exclusive to them. VW gassers are also welcome - Impex does sell stuff for 2.0's, 1.8T's and VR6's as well. I also recall a Karmann-Ghia air-cooled classic appeared at two of them before it's owner (who also has a Golf TDI) relocated to the midwest a few years ago. And of course there's always a few Benz diesels on hand too. So no border patrol needed in the Impex zone.....

(And it was nice to see some Corrados which are fairly rare....)

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
owr084 said:
I'll fess up. I too brought a gasser to Impexfest :eek::eek::eek::eek: But in my defense it was because I needed to the dent guys to see if they could fix a ding in the door of my 2007 Eos. Unfortunately, mine was the first Eos they had ever worked on and the dent was not repairable because there was too much bracing behind the door. Next year, I'll bring my Passat I promise ;)
I saw that EOS, was it RED? Nice ride! How do you like it so far?

MaryP

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI, GLS, 5 speed
Had a great time at Impex, as usual. Lito, thanks for all the hard work you do!

I had taken some pictures, but I must have had my camera settings off, because they all came out really grainy. I'm bummed.

Sorry I missed dinner Sat. night. The time I had with my family was priceless though... ;)

Lito, either the diesel purge or the hi-test stuff you added sure made my car very peppy. It is idling smoother now as well. I am sure my mileage went up, but I haven't refilled to check it to check for sure. I will look into buying that Startron from West Marine...

oEo

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf TDi PD ::Indigo Blue::
G60ING said:
The other silver one had over 500whp:
Anyone catch the name of the person NEXT to the corrado in the indigo Golf with the silver steelies? The car had Maryland plates. (Send me a PM)

Thanks

Last edited:

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
no-blue-screen said:
I saw that EOS, was it RED? Nice ride! How do you like it so far?
It's definitely red - paprika red. And, it's as good as can be without being a diesel ;) Some day either through an imported front clip or an A-5 donor, I'll rectify that deficiency. That is unless VWoA gets it head out of its *** and realizes there is a market for diesel convertibles and decides to import them. But, I'm not going to hold my breath.

Course, I only get to drive it if the wife is asleep in the morning when I leave for work:rolleyes:;)

Last edited: