Impexfest VI - May 4th & 5th, 2007

SyNtAxx

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Tornado Red GLS TDI
nordska,

Sweet....I am going to make a few calls this week in the mean time in hopes of getting an answer on this noise I'm hearing. I listened to it again and its not a metalic noise...or grinding in anyway. I raise the RPM of the motor...but since I was by myself I could not hear if the noise got louder, In fact I couldnt hear it at all over the motor. If it is indeed a lower roller...will parts be available at Impex on hand for purchase ? I ordered alot of parts for pickup on the day of the fest as it is.

Most of the work is easy. I would focus on the not so trvial work first..ie brakes noises. Oil/Fuel filters I can do on any weekend if I run short on time.

I'd really like to get a solid once over on the motor while I'm at it. So I can sleep better at night.

Are going to have name tags ? How is everybody going to identify each other ? Lol.

nordska said:
Hey Nick,
I'll give you a hand with checking out the sound your hearing... as well as I could probably (time permitting) work on the rear brakes, oil change, filters, and nozzle install... I told someone else I would help them do an intake cleaning so after that I'll do what I can....

SipNFuel

Veteran Member
TDI
Former owner of 2001 Golf TDI & 2010 JSW TDI
I would love to make it to my first GTG. I just need to get new tires before making the drive. Is there any chance in doing a shock/strut job here. I'm looking at putting Koni reds all around with some GLI front springs.

Thanks,
TRIP

SyNtAxx

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Tornado Red GLS TDI
Anybody going to be bringing the proper tap set for the boostvalve install ?

i am also bringing to the fest a cordless drill and dc charger for recharges of all types of batteries....fast charger :)

Nick

IAD_TDI

TDI
03 Jetta
I will try to be there one day leaning toward Fri/Sat. I Have to pick either Sat or Sun, have another project that weekend that has to be done. I have a timing belt coming up in a Jetta 03 (next year) and would like to help/watch one being done. Any takers...

Had some lights come on this spring and would like to check that out. Also Transmittion has some problems not sure how to check anything in the tranny, hopefully something simple.

see you all Saturday,

Todd

scottab

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf TDI
Just a heads-up. I took a quick attendance and it looks like we have members coming from the following states:
MD, VA, WV, KY, NH, NY, PA, NC, SC, NJ, OH, FL, MA, GA, DE, ME, CT and D of C.

This should be a lot of fun. ;)

R2point0

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 2015, Silver; Passat, 1997, Blue
IAD_TDI said:
I will try to be there one day leaning toward Fri/Sat. I Have to pick either Sat or Sun, have another project that weekend that has to be done. I have a timing belt coming up in a Jetta 03 (next year) and would like to help/watch one being done. Any takers...

Had some lights come on this spring and would like to check that out. Also Transmittion has some problems not sure how to check anything in the tranny, hopefully something simple.

see you all Saturday,

Todd
Take another look at the first post for scheduling - the Fest per se is Saturday only. Friday is for tent raising and carousing.

R2point0

Veteran Member
TDI
What is the current availability of the lift and air tools? I have an exhaust system for the B4 that I got used off Vortex that I may want to install if I have time. My current system leaks enough that it's irritating and loud.

QQQ

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
Well, I wish I can go but I'm going to have to backout to see my daughter. It's too bad becuase I wanted a tune and some adjustments.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
R2point0 said:
What is the current availability of the lift and air tools? I have an exhaust system for the B4 that I got used off Vortex that I may want to install if I have time. My current system leaks enough that it's irritating and loud.
From the very first post in this thread:

THE LIFT IS FIRST COME FIRST SERVED.
This list does NOT imply any order or a reservation
Syntaxx - Rear Brakes, 20indigoblue02 - sway bar

If you want to use the lift, you will be required to sign a waiver.
We are limiting lift time to 1 job per vehicle or 1.5 hours which ever comes first.
There are too many people who will want and need use of it as well. We will have to share.

scottab

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf TDI
If there is air being provided I can bring and impact and 3/8" air ratchet and a hose. Just let me know.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Folks.......This is a one day fairly large GTG it is meant mostly as a people getting together and enjoying each others company......Some work has traditionally been done but it isn't the time or place to try and rebuild your car in a day.........;)

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
And to repeat post #135.

paramedick said:
That's a bit cold. Buy the parts from someone else, and install them at a vendor's GTG. I think you will find others with this feeling.

R2point0

Veteran Member
TDI
OK, before the flames get too hot...

Car54 Already said he was bringing a compressor - I was asking as confirmation and as a check to see if anyone was bringing an air chisel. If no air chisel is available, I'll try to scrounge up a manual exhaust cutter. Anyone bringing a sawzall?

As for the lift, I've read the first page a number of times. I know the lift is first come, first served, and I know that the list isn't a reservation. I was asking because, although the text says there is normally high demand, the list only showed 2 definite users. If there is heavy demand, I'll ditch the exhaust system in deference to those who really need it, but if demand is light I'll bring it up and see how it goes.

Tomo, I realize in retrospect I have what seems a laundry list. I view it more as a buffet - lots of choices, but nothing definite. The only thing I NEED to do there is the IP seal, because I need someone looking over my shoulder so I don't blow up my engine. I also need the Vag-Com - my wife just spilled a glass of water on the laptop keyboard.:( Again.:mad: ) Everything else is optional and/or lightweight. If I get to it, I get to it.

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
Question:

For those of us that have not been to Impex, how much stuff do they have in stock? What kind of things should we pre-order and what stuff can we just get "off the shelf"?

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
They have most Maintenance items in stock........However Most VW Parts other than Maintenance items come from a VW Dealer........There is several dealers in the area and Heritage VW Impex's main supplier will deliver parts on Saturday if they are in stock..........
That said......It is best to order in advance!

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
R2point0 said:
OK, before the flames get too hot...

Car54 Already said he was bringing a compressor - I was asking as confirmation and as a check to see if anyone was bringing an air chisel. If no air chisel is available, I'll try to scrounge up a manual exhaust cutter. Anyone bringing a sawzall?

As for the lift, I've read the first page a number of times. I know the lift is first come, first served, and I know that the list isn't a reservation. I was asking because, although the text says there is normally high demand, the list only showed 2 definite users. If there is heavy demand, I'll ditch the exhaust system in deference to those who really need it, but if demand is light I'll bring it up and see how it goes.

Tomo, I realize in retrospect I have what seems a laundry list. I view it more as a buffet - lots of choices, but nothing definite. The only thing I NEED to do there is the IP seal, because I need someone looking over my shoulder so I don't blow up my engine. I also need the Vag-Com - my wife just spilled a glass of water on the laptop keyboard.:( Again.:mad: ) Everything else is optional and/or lightweight. If I get to it, I get to it.
Don't take it personal........
It is not directed at you. I have attended every Impex since the beginning and people tend to get in over there heads......and most do not attend for the sole purpose of working on someone elses car......I don't ,I have enough trouble and not enough time to work on my own car......and some of the people that say they are going to come, don't! I hve only seen Car54 at 1 Impexfest!! although he said he was coming to all of them
Last year the lift ended up getting tied up most of the day because of a repair gone wrong......and works usually stops mid to late afternoon
I am not trying to discourage anyone, but common sense needs to prevail.....

Last edited:

peterkin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VW Jetta TDI, RC3 ASV110, Sprint 520's....Lots of Fun. (Sold it, like an IDIOT)
I'll be there as I work right around the corner at AAI. I'll stop by after work on Friday.

Thermo1223

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Jetta 5M-'04 JW A5
Bob S. said:
And to repeat post #135.
No it is not, there is a thing in business called "competition".

If he decided to purchase them from another vendor that makes a contribution to the community just like others do whats the harm? Maybe the vendor isn't as personable but judging him by the person from whom he purchases parts is ridiculous.

What if I personally decided to buy everything from the dealer and ask for help at a GTG? Am I any less of helpful member to this forum or community just because I chose to use dealer sourced parts. If thats the case then everyone who buys from Impex is same because as was mentioned before they source parts from a local dealer. Are they the bad guy too?

The people in this place are so two-faced sometimes it's sad. What if I never come to a GTG but still offer help online? Are you still better then me? This place is about being a community, a helpful resource for others. Granted sometimes things like this can be taken for granted but that doesn't mean we turn like wolves on each other.

:rolleyes:

I know what Tomo means, which is why I am will gladly drive down to York, PA for Jeff's handy work but find going to MD to do a major job like injectors or a clutch install a little iffy. That is only because I live 3 hours away, if I was closer then it would set my mind at ease.

Last edited:

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
The point of post #135 was in reference to using Impex's lift to install parts sourced elsewhere. Impex makes the lift availible to Impex customers at no charge which I think is very nice of them. :)

Also if one is planning on doing a big job at a GTG it should be started in early morning. I still remember the GTG where two brothers decided to start a timing belt AND suspension changeout at 4pm! :eek: They got done at 2am - and that was only because someone knowledgeable assisted them later in the evening. The host was not amused as they didn't clear it with him first and since then there have been no more GTG's at that place which is a real shame! :(

ImpexFest is more about socializing then being a hard core wrench-event. Other GTG's are more suited to the big projects IMO.

Thermo1223

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Jetta 5M-'04 JW A5
CoolWht said:
The point of post #135 was in reference to using Impex's lift to install parts sourced elsewhere. Impex makes the lift availible to Impex customers at no charge which I think is very nice of them. :)

Also if one is planning on doing a big job at a GTG it should be started in early morning. I still remember the GTG where two brothers decided to start a timing belt AND suspension changeout at 4pm! :eek: They got done at 2am - and that was only because someone knowledgeable assisted them later in the evening. The host was not amused as they didn't clear it with him first and since then there have been no more GTG's at that place which is a real shame! :(

ImpexFest is more about socializing then being a hard core wrench-event. Other GTG's are more suited to the big projects IMO.
Of course but how many people buy parts from TDIparts & Dieselgeek, are they any more guilty? Do they get dirty looks when wanting to use the lift and speaking of such last year someone was diagnosing a leak in their exhaust. I doubt they purchased parts but I could be wrong and they used the lift. If Impex wants to say who can & cannot use their lift that is fine, it is theirs afterall. Nit picking because you didn't buy the parts specifically from them though is really unfriendly to put it nicely.

They are hosting a GTG for everyone not just purchasers of their parts, at least that is my take on it.

I take offense in people who judge others by where they buy any kind of product from. I'll get off my soapbox though.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I don't have a lift (yet) but I wouldn't police who uses it based on where they got the parts. However, if I wanted to do a repair at Impex I would only bring parts if I couldn't get them from Impex. It's only courteous. I doubt anyone would say anything, but they will notice, and remember.

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
"Hey, can I use the lift to install these shocks I got on shox.com for $10 less than your price?" = SO UNCOOL

"Hey, I'll be in the parking lot installing the 40K filter kit I got from DG a month ago." = Yeah, whatever

"Hey, can I buy a 40K filter kit here?" = COOL

Justler

Veteran Member
As noted in the beginning of this thread, you can use the lift to help install the parts that you purchase from impex.

If you don't buy your parts from them it's a crapshoot and plan on not using the lift. Whether you think it's cool or uncool it's how it is. If I owned a place with a lift and resold parts, i'd be the same way, or i'd charge you if you didn't buy parts from me. Tuning shops do this all the time, except they give a better labor rate if you buy your clutch or diff, or headlights from them.

While this is a community and it's ideal that people want to help each other out, it is also a business. Impex has to pay for the facilities and the lift that they let us use each year for what I assume is no charge.

Lets get this back to a good thread about how much fun impexfest is going to be and how cool it is to see each other again, and meet some new friends!

Last edited:

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Impex is generous to host this gtg. Impex is the host. Impex is a for profit business. We all need to be good guests.:)