Impex TDI Fest (new location): Saturday, May 16th, 2015

chudzikb

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta 03 Golf 2 door
Took none, but, had a great time, does that count? Dent guy fixed something that probably should not have been fixable. Impressive, very impressive.

MaryP

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI, GLS, 5 speed
I took a few but can't get the site to upload them from my iPad. I'll have to wait to get home and try it from my PC.

Had a great time and it was so great to see everyone! Thank you Eric and Bruce for the intake work! I hope you weren't disappointed that it was so dirty after all, but I feel better at having it done! Many thanks also to Tim with Dent Wizard. He was able to iron out some small dents and some very large ones as well. Dontcha know I found two more after he left! And OMG, I am so very bad at remembering names, but also thanks to the paint fellas that buffed out the paint oxidation in my black car! Looks so wonderful! Great job!

Also one more giant thanks to Jeff with Rocetchip for the update flash!

Last edited:

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Impexfest's humble beginnings. Look who replied first! LOL.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=42991&highlight=Impex

pictures here:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=409397&postcount=81

Big thanks today to Jeff and Todd for the major assist re-building Art's darn driver's door. This is the first time I've replaced the handle support and lock mechanism and It was a good learning experience.

Jeff, sorry about your finger.

It was so nice to see so many old and familiar faces. I'm not really good remembering everyone's name and I'm embarrassed that so many remember me.

It was also a great way to spend my birthday. Wish I could have stayed longer.

Matt, it was finally great to meet you. Anytime you need help, with anything please call or txt me.

Lito

Big props to Tim and Kory for making my car look like new again.

Last edited:

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
I had a BLAST!

I met a bunch of people and got to hear a little about their stories and connections to their cars.

Half the Canadian Contingent is home safe!

It was a bit comical that MrVermin and I drove 8 hours, on separate days, in separate cars, when we live about an hour away from each other, so that he could sell me a gutted EGR valve and take me for a ride in his extremely modified ALH powered Jetta! As soon as I got home I told my wife, listen, the work I put in to my car is not crazy, Joels car, now that is insane, the headlights shake, the hood shakes, even the winshield wipers shake when it is just idling. Riding in it was fun, and a little scary. Nice to see you again Joel! The boss is booking me out of Labour Day weekend so that I can finally attend TDIFest.

I do regret I can not remember the name of the gentleman and his wife who were parked beside me and almost took my PSI Powerbox for a test drive, I had to go make sure my car got tuned at lunch time, then I had to go for a test drive, and by the time I got back I could not find them.

It was great to meet Jeff from Rocketchip, Jeff if you are reading this thank you so much for tuning my ecu! The drive home was epic: it wasn't until two hours into the drive that I realized I could REV PAST 5000 RPM!!! That has to be the best surprise EVER! I have owned this car for 14 years and driven over 300,000km and it has always revved precisely to 4600 and that was it, now it goes happily into the red area! Also, the power used to drop off at 4000, now it pulls hard all the way up to 5000! If you were to look at this on a dyno curve that would be like 25% more area under the curve to look at, even before you add the power gains! Also, thanks for offering to go back in and adjust the IQ after my test drive. Half way thru my 8 hour trip home, I decided to pull out the laptop and I changed the value from:
32720 = 2.4 to 2.6 mg/str that you set to prevent shudder
to:
32768 = 1.6 to 1.8 mg/str which I picked because its the factory default, it brought the mg/str down a nice tick, and there was no shudder, no smoke, but I am pretty sure more power... 'cause I could pass anything I wanted to on rest of the way home, and the hills and valleys on NY-20A between Mt. Morris and Buffalo were crazy fun. Thanks again for hooking up my otherwise stock ALH.

I met a bunch of people, and I don't want to try and name everyone here but I will remember Wil, from World Impex, who really liked my shifter. And I will remember Fernando, and his special perspective on cars and life, and Bob, who hopped in my passenger seat for a test drive immediately after Jeff was done.

The food was good too!

I am so glad I stayed at a hotel the night before, I was rested and there at 8am, and I just want to mention I was the first one to open their hood, AND the first one to have blue rubber gloves on and start working on their car. It was too hot or I would have mounted those fender liners and finished plumbing the vacuum lines for that stealth race pipe before I left. I also needed to fix the wiring for anti-shudder valve... but hey, still accomplished a LOT today wow the car is totally transformed with the Rocketchip tune. Some more shade is the only thing I would wish for next year.

Almost forgot, I met Stealth TDI which was a treat because I had enjoyed his website from way back. Scott, I started to say but I think I got distracted, that it was funny you were wearing your, "Tail of the Dragon" T-shirt because I specifically remember first learning about that road when I saw a striking picture of your Mk3 that was taken by a Killboy photographer. Since then I have heard more about the Tail of the Dragon and it is on my list of roads to visit in my Mk4.

Here are some pictures:

Last edited:

subdvr99

TDI
2006 BRM (Sold)
I had a great time yesterday, I learned a lot talking to everyone and loved seeing all the cars. It made me realize that my 143k mile car is still a baby! Sorry I couldn't stay beyond lunch, bit I still was able to get in a have Jeff update my tune. Thanks Jeff!

Paul, Fernando, Mike, Mary, Will, and numerous others I forgot names of, it was great meeting you all. Wish I could have met more!

See you at an event sometime soon. I have 2 pictures on my phone, I will get them uploaded soon.

-Mark

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Interesting that the front row of cars ended up being silver and blue!

The GTG was great! I think it was the best turn out in several years and Impex's new location is great! Thanks to Doug, Will, and crew for welcoming us into their shop and supplying the great food.

It was great seeing cars and people from all over North America - MD, VA, PA, KY, NH, OH, Canada and more!

I only took two pictures...

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
had a great time at the get together, met very nice and interesting folks.

learned that a tap of OK/reset button will tell the MFD you know the door or hood are open, and proceed to show whatever it is you want to look at.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
It was a good GTG. Thanks to all for being so kind & patient with my dog. As you observed, she is the brains of the pair.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hello,

I had a good visit although we didn't stay long. I don't post so much these days. I still read, though. My relative silence seems to have led to the veterans being the only ones who remember me. :( Okay... I'm over it. :D

Almost forgot, I met Stealth TDI which was a treat because I had enjoyed his website from way back. Scott, I started to say but I think I got distracted, that it was funny you were wearing your, "Tail of the Dragon" T-shirt because I specifically remember first learning about that road when I saw a striking picture of your Mk3 that was taken by a Killboy photographer. Since then I have heard more about the Tail of the Dragon and it is on my list of roads to visit in my Mk4.
Thanks for the mention. It was a pleasure to meet you, too. Yes, we did get distracted. Lots of folks dropped by to visit you. Here are photos from each of my rides on ToTD:

Someone from VWVortex pointed out the "tons of win" in this photo, particularly the bus in the background... my car doesn't look bad, either. ;)

Diana having fun:

I like this photo...

Because when you zoom in on the mirror...

I'm looking forward to taking the Mk6 on TOTD in August. :) I haven't decided if I'm coming to TDIFest or not. Sometimes, I think ImpexFest is just as good, if not better in some regards due to the work projects that are more common at ImpexFest. :)

Scott

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Scott, it was nice to see you and Diana again. So glad she's able to join you on your outings. Nice to have a travel companion, I'm sure.

Jerry King, thanks for leaving the typical way that you do. Good to see you, you look good for an old man.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
I had a great time. It was nice to see everyone.

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE
Great people, great times! Good to see so many folks I haven't seen in so long. Good to meet the new ones too!

I couldn't help but notice the variety of vanity plates in attendance. ..all with the same theme. ..

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Titanium Beige six speed manual & Jetta, 1999.5, Tornado Red
Glad I made it, even if late in the day and only for a short time. It was great to see many of the people I remember from earlier GTGs, but I am sorry to have missed those who had to leave before I arrived. I look forward to next year's GTG.

Dave

ACHTUNG TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Sedan, Silver (sold); 2016 Jetta TSI 1.8t Sport, 5 sp, LP; 2014 BMW 328d xDrive Sport Wagon (wife's)
Although the location was different (barely) it's the attendees and their diesels that make this a GGTG - Great Get Together every year. Many familiar faces but as always some new ones.
Although the TDI hit our shores first as the B4 Passat then followed by the MKIII Jetta, this Fest kicked off in the MKIV era. It was great to see a good number of MKIV Golfs and Jetta there still looking good and running strong especially Art's at 670,000 miles. Then if I had those R seats I'd be living in them and racking up miles too. More comfortable than chairs at home.
Thanks everyone again for the GGTG and see you next year!

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Although the location was different (barely) it's the attendees and their diesels that make this a GGTG - Great Get Together every year. Many familiar faces but as always some new ones.
Although the TDI hit our shores first as the B4 Passat then followed by the MKIII Jetta, this Fest kicked off in the MKIV era. It was great to see a good number of MKIV Golfs and Jetta there still looking good and running strong especially Art's at 670,000 miles. Then if I had those R seats I'd be living in them and racking up miles too. More comfortable than chairs at home.
Thanks everyone again for the GGTG and see you next year!
Had I known those R seats were available in cloth, I would have gotten those over my Wolfsburg edition seats. They are awesome.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI [buyback completed 14/1/2017] 2006 S65 AMG
Wow, ya'll look like you had a great time. I'm sorry for missing it. I'll definitely be down next year though!

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
quick public service announcement / modification retraction

Zip tying my vacuum reservoir bulb to the top of the upper rad hose coolant tee was a bad idea, in case anyone saw this at the fest:

This happened:

That is all.