Impact bumper specs

rpalmerleger

TDI
2011 tdi wagon
I am trying to attach a hitch to my 2011 tdi sportwagon and want to mount a hitch behind the bumper instead of the ones that mount under the bumper. I see that the impact bar mounts are the same for 2011-18 model wagons. So I would assume that a hitch from 2014 or 2017 that mounts behind the bumper would work?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Installing anything that is not designed by a qualified person or OEM spec that meets or exceeds DOT laws, and using that on public roads to tow any load, is usually a full recipe for disaster and if or when it happens, your insurance company usually will throw you to the wolves with no coverage whatsoever and deem you at fault regardless.
unless your an engineer for VW or a company permitted to do so by DOT, then you are not a qualified person to do so.
that being said, take it to a professional and have documentation of the install. Or do whatever you want.... you have been informed. I highly suggest you read up on your insurance policy.
Also modifying a safety feature will also land you in hot water if it ends up being in a collision.

Last edited:

rpalmerleger

TDI
2011 tdi wagon
Installing anything that is not designed by a qualified person or OEM spec that meets or exceeds DOT laws, and using that on public roads to tow any load, is usually a full recipe for disaster and if or when it happens, your insurance company usually will throw you to the wolves with no coverage whatsoever and deem you at fault regardless.
unless your an engineer for VW or a company permitted to do so by DOT, then you are not a qualified person to do so.
that being said, take it to a professional and have documentation of the install. Or do whatever you want.... you have been informed. I highly suggest you read up on your insurance policy.
Also modifying a safety feature will also land you in hot water if it ends up being in a collision.

Im just looking to add a hi
tch for a bike rack no towing

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
read your policy, its in there under modifications.
if your going to haul bikes, just get an over the trunk setup.