Immobilizer Issue

rdean

TDI
Jetta, 2001, Bright Green, Jetta, 2002, Blue Lagoon (RIP)
My 01 Jetta would not start yesterday 10 minutes after shutting it off! The Immobilizer light was flashing. I checked a couple of things and then took the key, flipped it over, opposite of the way I normally insert it, and it started and ran. When I got home, it started fine with my spare key. This morning, same thing- it only starts when the key is flipped over!
As I bought this car used last year, after my 02 was totaled, I do not have the Key Code.
My question is, should it fail to start before i can get it checked out, is there any way to get it to run by bypassing the immobilizer? I do have a Ross-Tech VAG. I'm getting ready to head off on vacation and would hate to get stranded!

chromeBuddha

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI manual
When I had trouble with the Immob, I would show an intermittent fault when I did a scan with vag-com. What are you showing?

Mine always seemed to happen when the engine was hot and the weather was the same. I started using a sun shade in the front window and haven't had the issue in 2-3 years... Not sure if something in the column is getting hot and not working right or what...

rdean

TDI
Jetta, 2001, Bright Green, Jetta, 2002, Blue Lagoon (RIP)
Thanks. I haven't had a chance to scan it yet. Got home late and then off to work.
I'll post if I get anything.