I'm out ?

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
I am no longer a VW owner. Traded the Passat off on Saturday for a Honda Pilot for my beautiful wife. When I purchased the Passat it was with intension of having my wife drive it after the first year. As things are that changed and she decided she wanted to keep an SUV in the family and her Expedition didn't fair to well this winter. Rust has started to take over the rocker panels. In order to keep from changing my budget around too drastically I made the decision to let the Passat go. I loved it and drove it for nearly 35,000 almost trouble free miles. And my wife loves her new Pilot Touring 4X4. I sold her Expedition outright last Friday. I am using that money as a down payment and buying a new Civic SE for my daily 100 mile commute. I will miss the torque of the diesel but won't miss the paranoia of having to fill it up at the same station consistently and/or worring that the diesel I buy at an unfirmilliar station is contaminated or has too much bio. Best regards to all, I have learned a tremendous amount from the knowledgeable people on this forum.

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
If anyone local wants to come pick up an unopened liter of Castrol Edge Professional LL03, some DEF (maybe two gallons) and factory carpet floor mats. They are free for the taking, just PM me and we can set up a time to get them to you.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Don't be a stranger. I hope the Hondas treat you well. :)

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I grew up working on Honda bikes, best engines in the world and the car engines are the same. Seen a few D16 engines break 500K before a valve adjustment. Just dump the ATF every 50K as Honda doesn't use filters in the trans and torque converter clutch trash will slowly foul the oil. Honda puts nice drain and fill plugs on just about everything that holds oil so take advantage of them :)
+1 on don't be a stranger

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL
Why did u buy Jetta Tdi or Golf TDi? It's better driving cars than Honda.
I drove brand new Toyota Corolla, what a piece of...., the seats are indescribable bad, it has some bump around lower back that impossible to adjust.

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL
Honda SE with same options as Jetta TDI® Clean Diesel S with included already options is ony 1,400 difference. Honda 22,161 vs Jetta 23,560

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Good luck with the Pilot- our son and his family have had excellent service from their '09. Drive on!

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Posts #5 and 6: Oh good grief. He already bought the Pilot. Let it go!

D-Cell: Best of luck. Sorry to see you go.

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
Honda SE with same options as Jetta TDI® Clean Diesel S with included already options is ony 1,400 difference. Honda 22,161 vs Jetta 23,560
I did love the ride and power. Just as an FYI I got the Civic SE for $17,475. It is ~$4000-5000 less than the Jetta comparably equipped. I'm sure I won't love the Civic like I did the Jetta and Passat, but it'll do so to speak.

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL
Posts #5 and 6: Oh good grief. He already bought the Pilot. Let it go!

D-Cell: Best of luck. Sorry to see you go.
did u ever read the posts or just see my name and starting some bias?
Read post!!!
it's about brand new Civic!!!

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I did love the ride and power. Just as an FYI I got the Civic SE for $17,475. It is ~$4000-5000 less than the Jetta comparably equipped. I'm sure I won't love the Civic like I did the Jetta and Passat, but it'll do so to speak.
Sorry to see you go.

Good luck with the Honda's. My friend has 440,000 on a 2006 Odyssey van that has only seen a rebuilt transmission @ 250 K other than normal maintenance.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
Different strokes for different folks I love my wife's NMS for trips but honestly prefer the go cart feel abuse thriving civic for my work commute- id post up videos of the abuse I give that civic on a daily basis but it would incriminate me. Lots of left lane huggers in my parts, lets just say its seen redline with the clutch dumped thousands of times- Zero repairs other than front pads in 300K

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL
Different strokes for different folks I love my wife's NMS for trips but honestly prefer the go cart feel abuse thriving civic for my work commute- id post up videos of the abuse I give that civic on a daily basis but it would incriminate me. Lots of left lane huggers in my parts, lets just say its seen redline with the clutch dumped thousands of times- Zero repairs other than front pads in 300K
I can agree on heavily abuse, but do u care what u are driving?

To me it's like food, some would eat McDonald's every day, but some would home made food. Because, some are actually care what they eat.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Caring about what you eat and caring about what you drive are two very different things.

You probably won't need a triple bypass heart surgery from driving a Honda every day. McDonalds? I can't make any promises. ;)

Ace Deprave

Veteran Member
TDI
Former owner of a 2012 Passat SE TDI (traded for a 2015 Golf R)
I can agree on heavily abuse, but do u care what u are driving?

To me it's like food, some would eat McDonald's every day, but some would home made food. Because, some are actually care what they eat.
The question is why do you care so much about what he is driving?

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL
I don't care, just strange to read some like this posts. Person had Passat Tdi, then switch to Honda's brand. This is completely turn over. Most people whom are driving Germans cars are staying with germans brands, or may go with American SUV's. I'm looking from the experience being too long on different car forums, car and coffee, car clubs. That's all.
See I can understand Honda Pilot, which is very common CUV between families, but Civic? I don't know. The buying Civic it's like just get a car and that's it.
Personally, I would not buy neither cars, even they are super reliable. The Pilot just simple plain, the 8 seater is useless, since rear seats are too tight and no cargo behind, better option for same money is Toyota Sienna AWD, or used Suburban, Yukon XL or Cadillac ESV or Ford Expedition XL ( but I don't like interior,Chevy does better job).
So I'm just expressing my opnion, because it's a car forum as I said many times, even you can't agree with opinion, which just fine.

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
I don't care, just strange to read some like this posts. Person had Passat Tdi, then switch to Honda's brand. This is completely turn over. Most people whom are driving Germans cars are staying with germans brands, or may go with American SUV's. I'm looking from the experience being too long on different car forums, car and coffee, car clubs. That's all.
See I can understand Honda Pilot, which is very common CUV between families, but Civic? I don't know. The buying Civic it's like just get a car and that's it.
Personally, I would not buy neither cars, even they are super reliable. The Pilot just simple plain, the 8 seater is useless, since rear seats are too tight and no cargo behind, better option for same money is Toyota Sienna AWD, or used Suburban, Yukon XL or Cadillac ESV or Ford Expedition XL ( but I don't like interior,Chevy does better job).
So I'm just expressing my opnion, because it's a car forum as I said many times, even you can't agree with opinion, which just fine.
I'll share with you our thinking process as you so desire.

We owned two vehicles, the Expedition and a Jetta TDI before we purchased the Passat. The Expedition served us well as a family hauler that would easily accommodate the excess baggage that was required with two small children, ie big stroller and diaper bag and left plenty of room to bring home groceries. As the children got bigger we required less space for strollers and stuff. Also as fuel prices arose we found ourselves driving our Jetta TDI much more as a family instead of our Expedition mainly due to the poor mileage. That lasted until our children got a bit to big to fit comfortably on long drives in the Jetta so we purchased the Passat figuring that as time progressed we wouldn't need such a large family vehicle anymore, ie the Expedition, and that the Passat would accommodate us nicely. As things are they change. We found ourselves driving sick parents to and from doctor appointments more frequently as well as having the children's friends spend the night so we determined we needed to keep the third row seating to accommadate the more frequent extra passangers. We had looked long and hard at buying another Expedition as ours did us so well for nine years we owned it. But the price and mileage of a new one was a bit hard to swallow and quite frankly out of our budget. So we started researching other third row SUV's. We had almost pulled the trigger on a new Acadia or Enclave as they get decent mileage for what they are. But resale value was less than spectacular. After driving a few SUV's such as the MDX, Highlander, and Explorer we found the Pilot. The Pilots pricing was a bargain compared to the MDX, Acadia, Enclave, and Highlander plus it gets very good mileage and has excellent resale value. Hence the reason we purchased it new instead of CPO like I had planned on, the new one was the same price as the CPO. The most important thing is my wife loves it! She won't drive a minivan.....;)

Now here is the decision behind the CIVIC, I had planned on driving the Passat for the first year as I did and loved it! I have been driving the VW's now for 6 years and really love the driving experience but hate the repairs and maintenance associated with owning them. I shelled out several thousand dollars into my 06' Jetta TDI for repairs. I didn't want to replicate that with the even more finicky common rail with failure prone turbos. And before you get all offended and tell me the turbo is now warrantied to 100,000 miles, that would expire in two years time as I drive about 30K miles a year. Total cost of ownership on the Honda Civic VS the Passat is considerably less than that of the Passat over the 150,000-200,000 miles I plan on keeping it for. That compiled with the fact that as our children grow they are becoming more involved with extra corriculur activities I have less time to spend working on the cars as I did in the past. I look at the Civic as nothing more than an effiecient tool to get me to and from work, it's no longer about needing or wanting that driver experience. Maybe I will be back in the future, only time will tell.

I hope that helps you understand why I bought the two. If not, well it really doesn't matter much to me.:p

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL
Yes we had Acadia and it's nice vehicle but resale value really bad. So after this mistake with GM CUV, we went and got used Escalade ESV. Well it was not the target, but it was target big GM truck, the E-Lade was for the right price and with one the best resale value from GM trucks. I like GM truck, the engine are reliable but thirsty. Well at this size I'm kind what are difference between Acadia 21 to 22 mpg and E-lade 19 mpg on hwy. What for the city driving, well my wife are working from home so not too much city driving.

No offense about Civic, just easy (better) to buy used Accord or Camry or Subaru.

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I don't care, just strange to read some like this posts. Person had Passat Tdi, then switch to Honda's brand. This is completely turn over. Most people whom are driving Germans cars are staying with germans brands, or may go with American SUV's.
I'm on my 2nd VW now. My first was a 2002 VW Passat GLX (gasser) and my new one is a 2013 Passat TDI. When it was time to part with the 2002, I wasn't looking at doing another VW at all. I planned on getting some type of hybrid (most likely the Ford Fusion hybrid). I've never owned a Ford before. My cars, except for my VW have all been Chryslers.

However, after test driving the Ford, I wasn't excited about all of the electronics and the buttons and stalks on the steering column on the Ford. After researching options, I found that VW had the TDI available on the Passat here in the US and the mileage while less on paper than the hybrids, in reality, it was going to be higher.

So, I ended up back in a VW. It really had nothing to do with the "driving experience" of the VW or the TDI. It was just the cheaper (less than 30k) option, with the best mileage I was going to get for my driving style. it had tons of room for the kids in the back and luggage in the trunk.

And I like being a little different, so driving a diesel is fun as it's not the norm.

My wife just released a Dodge Durango. We didn't even try anything else. She liked her 2012 Durago, the dealer offered us a great early lease turn in, and we got a new 2015 Durango Limited Rallye with 0 down and for the same payment as our 2012 Durango. We carpool and have a need to carry 6 passengers on a weekly basis. So in this case, our decision was based on convenience of a lease turn in and the fact we liked our previous car and it's looks.

Nebelwerfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
Why did u buy Jetta Tdi or Golf TDi? It's better driving cars than Honda.
I drove brand new Toyota Corolla, what a piece of...., the seats are indescribable bad, it has some bump around lower back that impossible to adjust.
It's that season again...nonsensical posts.

Did you even read his post? Obviously not.

Don't bother replying to this one either, Google translate is down.

Regards

OsirisTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Tech Package DSG Golf, Executive Egg
The family next door owns a Pilot/Civic duo, they are happy motorist, money well-spent.

Baldy_54

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Passat SE, DSG
I am thinking of getting out of the Diesel World. With gassers getting in the High 30's and the price of Diesel Fuel, the luster of the Diesel is not so glowing. In addition having to pay 4-6 cents higher than trucks at the auto service station where I deal kind of irks me. Another point is the projected costs of repair for diesel blue heater and other poorly designed parts on the new diesels is a bummer. Might just trade in my 2013 Passat with 28,000 miles on a new gasser.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
My civic gets 40MPG and new 14" Michelin tires are about $50 bucks each, front pads for $15 at AutoZone ect = that is a true economy car and that's what I rally to work and don't care if it gets hit or stolen. I however will hang on to the wife's NMS as its the most economical mid size car that drives amazing ever :cool:

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
Just thought I'd post my first full tank mileage (actually the second tank but my first fill-up). I was able to get 473 miles on this tank, (I could easily have gotten over 500 if I tried) on 11.006 gallons at $2.269 a gal. For a total of 42.98MPG! Not bad considering, but I do miss the ride and comfort of the Passat.

ChrispyjVW

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SEL
I am no longer a VW owner. Traded the Passat off on Saturday for a Honda Pilot for my beautiful wife. When I purchased the Passat it was with intension of having my wife drive it after the first year. As things are that changed and she decided she wanted to keep an SUV in the family and her Expedition didn't fair to well this winter. Rust has started to take over the rocker panels. In order to keep from changing my budget around too drastically I made the decision to let the Passat go. I loved it and drove it for nearly 35,000 almost trouble free miles. And my wife loves her new Pilot Touring 4X4. I sold her Expedition outright last Friday. I am using that money as a down payment and buying a new Civic SE for my daily 100 mile commute. I will miss the torque of the diesel but won't miss the paranoia of having to fill it up at the same station consistently and/or worring that the diesel I buy at an unfirmilliar station is contaminated or has too much bio. Best regards to all, I have learned a tremendous amount from the knowledgeable people on this forum.
D-Cell, did you ever have issues with your RNS-510?

D-Cell_Mekanick

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Honda Civic SE
Several, they changed it out and the same problems still persisted. It's so nice having a radio that is fast and does what it is supposed to do when it is supposed to do it!

ChrispyjVW

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SEL
Several, they changed it out and the same problems still persisted. It's so nice having a radio that is fast and does what it is supposed to do when it is supposed to do it!

That worries me... I meet with the Reg Tech Mgr this coming weds to have my system diagnosed... he tried to say it was "normal Characteristics" of the system but I persisted to argue with the VWoA rep and she arranged this meeting..

I'm worried if they replace my unit I will run into the same situation as you, since I'm convinced the RNS-510 is a poorly designed system to begin with..