I'm not allowed to have a new Golf

TDI-rex

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S DSG
I got my first 2015 Golf TDI S DSG back in August, but unfortunately did not have a good experience with it from the start. As one of the first produced for North America, it seemed to come with some quality issues from the factory. The dealership first had to repair an exhaust leak before I took delivery, which was done successfully.

The second issue they repaired before I took delivery was not done quite as successfully. Between the engine block and the DSG, the intermediate plate had either warped or been installed incorrectly at the factory. This required the dealership to drop the front subframe and remove the transmission to repair. Repairing that would have been fine, except it was done by a technician I can only describe as a complete idiot. With less than 1000 miles on my brand new car, the front subframe began moving around while driving because... get ready for this... the service tech simply did not tighten the bolts down after re-installing. That could have been a very bad situation if I was not so attentive to the fact that my front end felt and sounded wrong. A different VW dealership repaired the damage from the unsuccessful repair attempt, but I had no interest in keeping a car that was delivered to me like that. Needless to say, I was furious.

Happily the dealership general manager agreed with me that although factory quality issues had been the start of the problems, his technician had made things much worse. I got the dealership to order an identical replacement car but had to wait because I would not budge and change color or options.
On Tuesday of this week, my replacement car had finally arrived at the dealership and was ready to be picked up! It was great... with a VIN number over 15000 units later, it seemed to be a much better built mk7 by the Mexico factory. Also, the DSG seemed to shift better and faster, the engine seemed stronger and I was looking forward to getting it broken in.

Unfortunately on Wednesday with 150 miles on the odometer, a Corolla driver was being a Corolla driver and slammed into the back of me while I was stopped in traffic. I am mostly OK, just still very sore all over! The Golf did an amazing job protecting me, it barely looks damaged compared to the Corolla which was beyond destroyed. The Corolla was going 25mph+ and went under the rear bumper causing substantial damage, but overall there was absolutely no deformation of the car's shape which I think shows an incredibly strong cabin structure.

Maybe eventually I will get a new Golf AND be allowed to keep it, that would be cool. But in the meantime enjoy these carnage pictures! It's like a fun spot-the-difference game looking at my blue DSG car next to our black manual trans car.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
ah, a coat hanger, little rubbing compound, and you will be good to go.

( just kidding. I feel your pain. glad you were not hurt, and thanks for sharing your experience. )

for the record, I am pretty sure those subframe bolts are called out as single use fasteners.

Hope they get it fixed up soon to your satisfaction.

WiszMaster

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta TDI - Silver, '06 Golf TDI, '06 MB 320 CDI
Oh man! I'm so sorry to hear! Glad you're OKAY!

I once had a BMW 5 series, BMW bought back due to some issues, ordered a replacement ... Waiting 9 weeks, 6 weeks after delivery got hit by a cement truck and totaled it after much fighting with insurance.

TDI-rex

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S DSG
Ah, I see you're here in the Bay Area. How is Sonnen as a dealer?
I have mixed feelings about them. On one hand the salesperson I worked with was great on his own as an individual, and when things went wrong after the purchase the general manager did step up and do the right thing by ordering me a replacement car.

However the general manager who made that decision is no longer with the dealership, and everyone short of him I had worked with didn't have much interest in making things right in the way I saw fit at least. Also... they have my old 4400 mile 2015 TDI that they caused issues on for sale used now with a great description about how it's a one owner, local trade-in!

If they were to have the car you wanted and offered you a deal... I wouldn't necessarily stay away completely. But I think there are better and more honest dealerships, and ones that would have avoided the issues they caused to begin with.

If you don't mind the distance, check out some dealerships out in the valley near Stockton and Modesto... they have trouble moving cars out there and are likely to deal with you more than those within the "Bay Area" zip codes.

Oh man! I'm so sorry to hear! Glad you're OKAY!

I once had a BMW 5 series, BMW bought back due to some issues, ordered a replacement ... Waiting 9 weeks, 6 weeks after delivery got hit by a cement truck and totaled it after much fighting with insurance.
Can I ask if you got the BMW totaled after the fight with insurance based on the $$ cost of repair exceeding what was reasonable, or because the right thing to do was replace the new vehicle you had that happen to already? With the value of my car likely to be $20,000+ to insurance I would imagine the dollar figure alone won't total it... but I am hoping to argue that they cannot reasonably expect me to accept major repairs on such a new car. At a minimum I can see that the rear floor is wrinkled and will have to be cut out to replace it.

WiszMaster

Veteran Member
TDI
Can I ask if you got the BMW totaled after the fight with insurance based on the $$ cost of repair exceeding what was reasonable, or because the right thing to do was replace the new vehicle you had that happen to already? With the value of my car likely to be $20,000+ to insurance I would imagine the dollar figure alone won't total it... but I am hoping to argue that they cannot reasonably expect me to accept major repairs on such a new car. At a minimum I can see that the rear floor is wrinkled and will have to be cut out to replace it.
It was a multitude of reasons.
I got hit from the left, right behind the rear driver side door, took the trunk off, rear quarter, blew out rear window... Blew all driver side airbags, curtains and doors.
1. The insurance estimator couldn't write a proper estimate.
I.e. no airbags on estimate, obvious items missing, I think first estimate was $8-9k which was clearly incorrect. Adjuster came came out multiple times, and everytime wrote bad estimates. They were trying to avoid paying... This was the cement company's commercial carrier.
2. Car needed to be cut up, and entire rear clip replaced due to damage.
3. Estimator/agent handling my claim went on "vacation", and for weeks was MIA.
4. The E60 5 series(2006) electronics were in the trunk, lots of it. Most of which was smashed, ripped out, and harnesses destroyed.

After some time, and moving the car to 3 different shops, I was consulting with shops in Miami and New York, as they were the only 2 shops certified to weld BMW's, neither actually wanted to touch the car due to the age, mileage and damage.
The damage was quite extensive, and it was a $63,000 5 series, with about 3,000 miles, 6 weeks old.
We finally had a hurricane come through town, ripped the tarps and filled the car with rain water ... They agreed to total it. Too much damage. All electronics, fiber optic harness,

Last edited:

TDI-rex

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S DSG
Ouch, poor BMW, I'm glad the deadbeat insurance company finally had to total it out in the end... that would seem crazy to do repairs that extensive on a brand new car and claim to have made you whole.

The damage to my car is obviously a lot less serious, though I'm hoping it has enough hidden damage to total it out on value alone. The trunk floor is definitely tweaked as well as quite a few other panels that are definitely not just bolted on. It just doesn't seem right to me if the insurance company cuts up a car like that and gives it back to me all before it has seen 200 miles... but I don't think I can count on them seeing it the same way without a fight on my hands.

nkgagne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagen 6M, 2006 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Be sure the estimator checks out the seats carefully, too!!! When I was rear-ended in Mom's Subaru, the seats sacrificed themselves to absorb the impact and save my spine. Body damage was repaired, and also the obviously broken driver's seat, but the occupied passenger seat was never comfortable from that day forth, as the backrest was subtly twisted.

WiszMaster

Veteran Member
TDI
<cut> but I don't think I can count on them seeing it the same way without a fight on my hands.
Mine was a fight ... 3 months. Upside of it, They had me in a rental, and got to pay for it.... on-top of paying for the car. Of course I was making lease payments for a $63k vehicle... and that's not what they gave me for a rental.

TDI-rex

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S DSG
Always fun putting miles on an insurance provided rental for a bit, but yes it's quite hard for a rental to replace something like that new 5 series!

WiszMaster

Veteran Member
TDI
Always fun putting miles on an insurance provided rental for a bit, but yes it's quite hard for a rental to replace something like that new 5 series!

Rental car company flipped when I returned it, 20k miles in 3 months ... They had actually sold the car at auction a few weeks after I picked it up... They were less than thrilled to say the least. Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
What was the rental ?

Rental car company flipped when I returned it, 20k miles in 3 months ... They had actually sold the car at auction a few weeks after I picked it up... They were less than thrilled to say the least. Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
Glad to hear your OK and the car took the brunt but man what a PITA this is for you.

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
Wow, what a tale indeed. Glad you were protected. Hopefully the process of repair or replacement goes as smoothly as possible. I don't blame you for simply wanting you brand new car to just be, well...mint condition.

The good news is that if you do stay all-in with the Mk7, you'll have one sexy garage.