I'm going to have to pass on this....

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
I can't wait for the public trials. For an example of what could happen, just watch the end of any Tour de France (or any other grand tour race) where there's a crash. Count the number of other bikes taken out, then figure out what will happen if anything happens to one of the cars, or the lead truck, in the train.

It would take just about one of these to make negative public reaction explode.

TurbinePower

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Powder Hound said:
I can't wait for the public trials. For an example of what could happen, just watch the end of any Tour de France (or any other grand tour race) where there's a crash. Count the number of other bikes taken out, then figure out what will happen if anything happens to one of the cars, or the lead truck, in the train.

It would take just about one of these to make negative public reaction explode.
Doesn't even have to be an externally caused wreck. Imagine what would happen if the lead truck had a blowout? Or one of the cars in the string?

Or wireless signals getting corrupted by foul weather or local interference?

Kabin

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta '04 PD TDI/Tip
It's tough to pull off even with demos. I recall GM's demos in southern california in the mid 90's. It was with their own vehicles, radars, electronics, software, drivers and still the vehicles made contact. And that was benign open roads.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Ha ha. Who's going to volunteer to be the lead vehicle directly behind the lead truck? You know, the one who's eventually going to eat a tire tread (or sand/gravel/rocks) without ANY hope of avoiding it ...

Kiwi_ME

Veteran Member
TDI
'18 Kona EV, ex '03 Golf TDI, '82 Rabbit Diesel
Kabin said:
It's tough to pull off even with demos. I recall GM's demos in southern california in the mid 90's. It was with their own vehicles, radars, electronics, software, drivers and still the vehicles made contact. And that was benign open roads.
If I recall correctly that demo on San Diego's I-15 used metal studs in the roadway to provide position feedback.

Not sure about UK regulations but our heavy trucks have more axles and I've never seen any evidence of the tire failures that are so common on US roads. But, yeah, I always let someone else get in front to take the flying rocks.

Last edited: