Im getting One Of These, The Jetta Is History

MR42HH

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 530d
mavapa said:
Car&Driver's 2007 review talked about an $80,000 car. I couldn't find a price in several reviews. Where did you get your price? The expected highway number is about 33 mpg (US).
Car & Driver likely took the price of an European model with some options, including 19% VAT, and converted it directly to US$ with the conversion ratios we have these days.
We all know it doesn't work this way.

For an apples-to-apples comparison, a 335i with Steptronic is 43,460€ on the German price list. A 335d with Steptronic (not available as a manual) is 44,350€.
So the base 335d is a whopping 2 percent more expensive than the 335i.

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
eli said:
mavapa said:

Of course no one would buy a $60,000 car for fuel efficiency.

blanket statements are easy to disprove! (don't think too hard about that.)
there are some consumers who have the $ and who would prefer to give lots more $ to an automaker in order to get a car that will consume less fuel, so less $ goes for fuel imports. This can still be true even if diesel is >30% more costly than gasoline like it is now in some areas..
This has been stated, I believe previously in other threads, by mavapa and as you say, easily disproven. All those rich people buying E320 CDI's and Lexus hybrids must be crazy, huh?

I for one use my CDI for more than thrills of being rich - the comfort for my large frame on long trips to work late at night after 12 or 24 hour shifts as well as the safety factors really make a difference. Has little to do with being rich or spendy. Honda Accord was a distant second - not nearly as comfortable. My CDI has 120,000 miles on it now and has barely broken in - fuel economy keeps getting better, and its resale value has held up with not much more loss than a much lesser car at this point.

TM

HO'OLAKO

Veteran Member
I sure hope the 2% difference is true.Would love to get the bmw but the E320cdi is a option now because BMW won't give me a straight answer. I accredit this problem to junior salesmen. We shall see! will chip to 350hp and have M6 19'' rims and of course it will be lowered!

clark246810

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI, DSG Golf Sport Wagon
HO'OLAKO said:
I sure hope the 2% difference is true.Would love to get the bmw but the E320cdi is a option now because BMW won't give me a straight answer. I accredit this problem to junior salesmen. We shall see! will chip to 350hp and have M6 19'' rims and of course it will be lowered!
It will be close to 2%,I can hardly wait,christmas in september/october!

Last edited:

pdxgrease

Veteran Member
TDI
none
i can't wait for the diesel bimmer invasion. I really appreciate my x3 but it needs those extra 200ft lbs of a diesel powerplant. My3.0si is rated at 260hp but only 225ft lbs. Btw, steptronic is a really crisp satisfying automatic to drive in. I have 2 years left on my lease... so hopefully there will be a smaller AWD diesel bimmer by 2010. An x3 with the 3.0liter would be awesome or a 335xd wagon even better.

for you bimmer drivers. Do you leave it in sport mode most of the time like me?

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
mavapa said:
Car&Driver's 2007 review talked about an $80,000 car. I couldn't find a price in several reviews. Where did you get your price? The expected highway number is about 33 mpg (US).

Of course no one would buy a $60,000 car for fuel efficiency. You could buy a V8 gasoline-powered pickup and gas for it as long as it lasts for that. Plus making interest on the difference for several years.
As usual I beg to differ with mavapa: I paid $1000 more for the diesel option precisely for the fuel economy advantage and have saved a bundle. I could have saved more if a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry would do but...... NOT

Cheers

TM

Last edited:

sno_duc

TDI
00 New Beetle
I'll jump in. In August we traded the wifes '04 Audi A4 for a '08 335xi coupe. Twin turbo direct injection 300 hp 300 ft lb gas motor.
The thing screams, pushes you back in the seat and keeps you there.
Passed a slow car ( 50 in a 55 zone ) fairly short passing zone so I mashed it, in the short amount of time it took to get around I was doing a buck.
I'm holding out for a diesel in the one series.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
clark246810 said:
Yes it is sweet and I hear what your saying but Im not after mpg, I like the performance experience/reliability and for 50% more money, what a bargain and what a car! You get what you pay for.
I'm sorry but any 8v engine was never top of my list for "performance."

If you wish to contend you bought an 8v vehicle, of any fuel type, for performance you're smoking something I'd like to try.

8v = economy. Always has.

pdxgrease

Veteran Member
TDI
none
um... are you talking about the same engine that is going in the bimmer? I'm confused. Because it is certainly a robust engine. A range topper in europe. Did I miss something, you talking about a different engine? If not you're a tool ;) If yes I'm sorry for calling you a tool. Well actually I'm sorry for calling you a tool either way. Just don't be a tool if you were ever thinking of being one. Blaspheming the engine going into the 335d is not ok. ok?

335d ftw!

Last edited: