I'm Back.....Looking to make a few more mods...

scottisha

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI 4dr
I was here years ago with a 2011 Golf TDI....
I'm back with a 2014 4-dr Golf TDI 6spd Man.

Mods so far:
Llumar Ceramic tint (5% sides, 15% back)
Llumar Airblue windshield film
Hardwired Valentine One (not sure why at this point, as I drive like an old lady right now)
18" Golf R OEM wheels/tires and sometimes (18" Miro 111's 255/35/18 tire
H&R Sport Springs
Custom quad exhaust with modified OEM rear valance

Mods I'm Planning on:

Tune (stage 1-1.5) I'm leaving DPF on at this point.
Possible an intake. If I recall, they don't offer much gain, if any, but I do like the sound of the turbo spooling up.
Headlight upgrade

Mods I'm considering
front bumper swap..... (I hate to try and have someone color match the front bumper, but I think the GTI or Golf R bumper would really improve the bland looking TDI front end.

Car day I brought it home:

With Tint

With OEM R wheels

I'm really surprised at how good my mileage is, considering it;s brand new. I was lucky to see 38-40mpg avg on my commute, in my 2011 Golf TDI when it was new and I've had a couple days at 50-50.3 mpg avg so far. 67 mile drive to work, which includes some city driving the first 20 minutes.

Scott

Last edited:

Trolleyvw

TDI
2013 jetta TB 6mt
That 2011 is awesome! I also love those talladegas (sp?) on the new one!

Any differences between the 2011 vs 2014? Not sure of any changes made for 2014s

scottisha

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI 4dr
When you say, "That 2011 is awesome" are you referring to the white one I used to have or the 2012 Golf R in the above picture?

There are a few things I did notice about the 14 compared to the 2011:
1. Better stereo standard. "Premium 8 touchscreen" think I had the 315 in the 2011.
2. 14 has the under dash cubby below light switch.
3. 14 has power recline for the seats.
4. Reflex Silver is an optional color in 14
5. Better observed fuel economy.

I'm not real sure why my fuel mileage is better, but I know when the 2011 was new, I wasn't seeing above 39 mpg avg per tank. Took some time to see 43-44.

Depending on cost, I would seriously consider the new GTD when it arrives.

Scott

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI [buyback completed 14/1/2017] 2006 S65 AMG
Hey Scott, your 2014 - does it have the Dynaudio speaker/amp package?

scottisha

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI 4dr
Hey Scott, your 2014 - does it have the Dynaudio speaker/amp package?
I don't think so. It definitely sounds better than the stereo in the 2011, and it's pretty loud without too much distortion, but it doesn't say Dynaudio on the front tweeters like the Golf R does.
I'll take a picture of the Window sticker and post it when we get home from dinner.

Scott

scottisha

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI 4dr
Just noticed after posting that picture, that it says, "Sport Suspension"... I have driven it pretty hard into and around corners and recall thinking, "damn, I guess putting the 18" R wheels on really made a difference"... now I'm thinking it was a combination of the wheels/tires and the so called "sport suspension"
I recall my 2011 feeling very numb and soft prior to installing the H&R Springs, so maybe there is a difference.

Trolleyvw

TDI
2013 jetta TB 6mt
When you say, "That 2011 is awesome" are you referring to the white one I used to have or the 2012 Golf R in the above picture?

There are a few things I did notice about the 14 compared to the 2011:
1. Better stereo standard. "Premium 8 touchscreen" think I had the 315 in the 2011.
2. 14 has the under dash cubby below light switch.
3. 14 has power recline for the seats.
4. Reflex Silver is an optional color in 14
5. Better observed fuel economy.

I'm not real sure why my fuel mileage is better, but I know when the 2011 was new, I wasn't seeing above 39 mpg avg per tank. Took some time to see 43-44.

Depending on cost, I would seriously consider the new GTD when it arrives.

Scott
Yeah I must have meant the Golf R. I thought, for some reason, when you said you had a 2011 that you have it and got another, the 2014, and that PGM 2 door was your '11. Now that I know it's an R, that thing is sick!

And I thought I heard something like 2015 for the US to get the GTD and if so, that'll be my next car for sure

scottisha

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI 4dr
Had the H&R springs installed today. H&R Part # 54757

These are just the "Sports" not "Super Sports".

Car rides much better than my 2011 did with the Super Sports.
Low, but not too low. I'm extremely happy with how the car looks.

jay_fyp

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT 2004 Jetta TDI (PD) 5mt R.I.P - 2013 Golf TDI 6mt - 2004 Golf TDI (PD) 5MT
Installed those springs today. They are awesome. Aesthetically they have just the right look. Not slammed at all but look good and plenty of clearance for everyday driving.

They handle amazingly, I kept the stock struts and shocks on just to burn them out and then replace. Cornering is much improved, and bumps are as smooth as stock easily. Super happy with them.

jay_fyp

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT 2004 Jetta TDI (PD) 5mt R.I.P - 2013 Golf TDI 6mt - 2004 Golf TDI (PD) 5MT
Also for others interested, it's a fairly easy DIY, I did it today and I'm pretty novice. It takes a bit of time for the front, back literally takes 20-30 minutes after the wheels are off.

scottisha

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI 4dr
Installed those springs today. They are awesome. Aesthetically they have just the right look. Not slammed at all but look good and plenty of clearance for everyday driving.

They handle amazingly, I kept the stock struts and shocks on just to burn them out and then replace. Cornering is much improved, and bumps are as smooth as stock easily. Super happy with them.
I'm equally impressed with how the car looks and rides with these springs. I had the Super Sports on my 2011 Golf TDI and I hated how the car drove. It looked good, but was bouncy. These "sports" are close to OEM feeling. In fact they remind me of how my Golf R felt with the stock suspension.

I was going to take the Golf R to the drag strip this past Friday, so I swapped wheels/tires to the Golf TDI. (I run my OEM R wheels at the track and the Miro's on the street).... Now that I've driven and seen the Miro's with 255/35/18 tires on my TDI, I don't want to take them off. I think I'm going to sell the new set of Enkei RPF1's and try to find another set of Miro's.

My exhaust parts should be in by the end of the week. Keeping my fingers crossed that it looks good. I'm just replacing the OEM suitcase muffler and single side outlet. I found my old OEM TDI rear valance in my storage unit, so I did a little cutting and think it may work for what I want to do.

I can't wait to squeeze a little more power by getting a tune... Just not sure when that's going to happen.

Scott

scottisha

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI 4dr
rear exhaust complete. Obviously no sound or performance gains, but it looks nicer that stock:

Stock muffler with the section I cut out of the valance:

Finished product:

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
Wow, that looks great! What tips are those?

scottisha

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI 4dr
Wow, that looks great! What tips are those?

I can't really vouch for the tips yet, as they aren't super good quality. We'll have to see how they hold up and how the stainless finish lasts.

Here's the link to them:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/14111044370...iewitem=&sspagename=ADME:L:OC:US:3160&vxp=mtr

Link to the T/Y-Pipe I used:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-10734?seid=srese1&gclid=CM3tq_iig7sCFcJi7AodmywAJA

Luckily, I had my OEM valance, from my 2011 Golf TDI, in storage. The cut-out part of it isn't perfect, but I'm not planning on entering my car into a competition either.

Scott