I'm back. 2006 Jetta TDI, M5, pretty stripped down version.

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI, 2dr, M6, Stock
Hi. I'm back after a couple year hiatus from TDI's.

Prior I had an 03' Golf, M5.

Picked up a 2006 Jetta with the 5 speed. White with black / charcoal? vinyl interior.

It's got 220k miles. When I bought it I managed to get the car lot down a bunch on the price because it ran like ass. Horrible vibration at idle, noisy as hell when idling and the vibration correlated to RPM. I convinced them it needed a cam.

First thing I did was pull the valve cover. To my surprise the cam has minimal wear. I figured with 220k I might as well change the motor mounts. Perhaps they were bad. I did the low hanging fruit by changing the left and right mounts. Made it substantially better but still not right.

After a lot of thought I decided it had to be the DMF. If I'm going to pull the trans I might as well drop the sub frame and do the dog bone / pressed in mounts.

Picked up a LUK DMF setup from IDPARTS at a great price.

Dropped the sub frame + trans the other evening. The flywheel was toast. It had spun a few inches and I had to torch out the hub to get access to the crank bolts as DMF will do quite often when failed.

Got the new clutch in and pressed in those mounts. Vibration GONE!

Smooth as butter. Very happy now.

Next day I knocked out the T-Belt. Yes yes I know all about the various theories as to using the lock tools etc etc. With the ALH I see the lock tools being very useful however with the BRM I am not convinced if one is careful and knowledgeable about what they're doing.

Marked it, counted it out, put it on. Spun it a few full revolutions by hand and checked the tension again. Perfect.

Slap it all back together, plug in VCDS and check the torsion value. Prior to doing the belt I had it adjusted to 0. After the belt it was 2. Old belt was definitely stretched a tad and I had previously adjusted the torsion value and this would explain the 2 with the new belt. A couple adjustments later and it's back to 0 again.

Prior to doing all this I decided I had to have a highline cluster. I picked up a used one from a wrecker and spent the better part of TWO WEEKS off and on trying to get the new one to adapt to my car. After a few emails to various cluster / IMMO guru's they had convinced me it was impossible without very expensive tools and I could send it to them so they could do it on the bench directly clamped on the EEPROM or whatever they do.

I'm never one to take no for an answer so I persisted on. I was able to FINALLY get the IMMO to copy from old low line cluster to high line cluster. Boom fires right up, no immo active message and no problem coding it. Whooppee. Even got the SKC from both and the odometer corrected back to my true miles.

Next was the CCM and CECM. Picked up a few highline ones as all modules in my car are low line. I was able to find a 2005.5 5 cylinder at the local wrecker that had not been touched yet. It had all highline modules and the MFSW! Got the CECM, MFSW, Rain sensor, auto rear view mirror, homelink visor, several power lock buttons, couple red/clear lenses for the lights at the bottom of the door, lots of plug ends cut off for the pins etc for $16 out the door! Damn I hit them on a good day.

Long story short. Car ran like crap. Bad DMF. Fixed.

Low line car now 80% upgraded to highline.

Seems to average about 45mpg hand calculated so far. 50/50 city / highway. Impressive. I was under the impression the BRM would get a bit lower than my old ALH did. Seems to be about equal so far.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Seems to average about 45mpg hand calculated so far. 50/50 city / highway. Impressive. I was under the impression the BRM would get a bit lower than my old ALH did. Seems to be about equal so far.
Congrats on the new ride, and all the work you did to it. I have a white 06 as well...mid-level model I guess, it has leather interior, but does not have the fancier cluster and steering wheel controls.

I've recently completed all of the same work...new LUK clutch/DMF (Also from IDparts when they were on sale). Timing belt, cam, fluids, filters, etc. (Plus some other expensive repairs). I love the car, but the MPG is a bit lower than I had hoped for. After the belt/cam change, the torision value landed on -1.0, and the first tank of fuel came in at 45.6 mpg, all highway. I adjusted the torision to 0.0, and the 5 full tanks of fuel I've run through it since only brought back 43 mpg.

I haven't investigated it yet, but was going to bump the torision negative again and see if it made any difference. The other basics are all good...brakes are cold (no dragging), and the car has a fresh alignment with new tires.

Like your previous Golf, I too also have an 03 Golf 5MT, and I absolutely love it and the 06 Jetta. I wish the Jetta had the mileage and the range of the Golf, but Jetta is a nicer machine to run on the highway even if I do have to stop for fuel a little more often.

In any case, congrats on the new 06.

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
Man sounds exactly like mine, needed wheel bearings, radiator at 180k,
still working on dsg fw, tb, cam list goes on.
What is the difference between a low line and a high line jetta?
My 06 has the MFSW and Climate control. Must be a package 2.

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
Man sounds exactly like mine, needed wheel bearings, radiator at 180k,
My 06 has the MFSW and Climate control. Must be a package 2.
I honestly don't know.

Mine has manual HVAC, lowline cluster, no sun roof, no seat heat etc etc etc.

If manual windows were an option i'm sure it would have those lol.

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
Forgot to mention I fixed my aux heater also thanks to very helpful posts somewhere on the internet.

It was only kicking out ~600w when testing.

Re-soldered all the resistors as per the how to's and it's fully functioning now.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
These cars come with a list.:)
I have spent an obscene amount of money fixing mine up, but I do quite like the car now that it's all fixed up/tuned up.

Myturbodiesel has a pretty good list of what the different packages included. I guess the Canadian models were packaged a little different again, so mine is a bit of an oddball. My 06 would be in the middle...it has leather, sunroof, and alloy wheels...but is otherwise plain Jane, unless there are options there that I'm not aware of.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/2005-2006-VW-Jetta-TDI-buying-guide.htm

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Forgot to mention I fixed my aux heater also thanks to very helpful posts somewhere on the internet.
That was the first thing I fixed on my 06, mostly because I was picking the low hanging fruit early on (and it was a free repair...lol).

I only learned last week, from reading on here, that the ECON button disables the Aux Heater (and the AC).

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
That was the first thing I fixed on my 06, mostly because I was picking the low hanging fruit early on (and it was a free repair...lol).
I only learned last week, from reading on here, that the ECON button disables the Aux Heater (and the AC).
I do not have an econ button. Do you have the fancy auto ac?

I am really liking this car now that the stuff is fixed. Drives so damned nice for a 11 yo car.

Thinking about scrounging the seat heater wiring harness, controller and pads from some power seats that are local..........Would only need to source a manual heater control with heated seats on it.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
I do not have an econ button. Do you have the fancy auto ac?

I am really liking this car now that the stuff is fixed. Drives so damned nice for a 11 yo car.
Well, I do have an ECON button instead of an AC button, but I thought they were all like that in 2006...I guess not. Mine just has the basic climate controls, or at least I thought they were basic.

I'm really pleased with how mine drives as well. I've got four new tires on it, and a fresh alignment, so it's straight and smooth. It still has some suspension rattles that I need to sort out, but they're low priority at the moment.

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
I went back and pillaged the rest of the 2005.5 Here's what I've snagged off it.

MFSW + controller + clock spring. Yep, all 3 were required to make the MFSW work properly in my car. The clock springs look the same, have the same number of wires however on the back the windows that work with the G85 steering angle sensor are different and will NOT work. 2005.5 steering wheel controller must have 2005.5 clock spring....

Wood trim! It pops off so easy so I snagged it all. The only piece I need goes around my shifter. The donor car was auto.

Rear parcel shelf with sunshade + got the hooks that go in the C pillar to hang the shade. Unfortunately those clips are bonded to the headliner so I had to destroy the headliner to get the clips. I have no sunroof, donor car did.

CECM. Car was loaded to the hilt. Mine was not.

Siren. :)

Rain sensor + plugs + auto rear view mirror. Yet to be installed. Going to get the right windshield installed first.

Going to go back and get the seat heater elements + harness + controllers. Then just have to source a manual HVAC with heated seat switches. I would take the whole seats but I don't care for the feel of the leather seats. They don't seem as supportive as the manual seats.

Tons of pigtails off various modules. Great to have for retro fitting.

I'm sure there's a few more things I snagged but can't remember!

Oh yeah the best part. My first trip was $15 out the door. The 2nd trip was $14 out the door! All those parts for $29 bucks!

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
List of things completed:

MFSW

MFA cluster

RCD510

DMF+clutch. Holy crap I didn't realize how loud the old one was until new was installed. Reason for installing new setup is trying to track down a TERRIBLE vibration at idle and during acceleration. DMF was the culprit.

Both motor mounts + damned dog bone mounts in subframe

Bunch of coding to customize things

CECM swap

CCM swap

Alarm horn delete/siren install

Inspected cam

Fixed persistent ASV code. Turned out to be damaged harness near battery which is well documented.

Cabin air filter. Holy crap I think it was the original one! It was BAD!!!

Replaced HVAC blower motor. 2nd day I had the car it decided to release magic smoke.

Replaced RCV valve. Was very slow to respond. A/C was delayed up to 10 minutes.

Things to do:

Replace windshield to add rain sensor/auto mirror.

Install homelink sunvisor.

Install rear sunshade/parcel shelf.

Oil / filter change.

illtww

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI/DSG
Firehawk! YES! you are the man! An motivting me!

So I am in a little delimma with my 2005.5.

She runs good at 265K! Stage 1.5 tune. Rode great until a few months back and started to destroy are destroying a the front tires... (wifes car)

I think I need/want to replace: (all stock as far as o know)
1. Full LCA's, Tie rod Ends, Ball Joints, Rear LCA bushing, Struts (Billstien B4), Strut Mounts, Rear shocks.. alignment and new set of tires.

Never done the "dogbone" mounts or Motor Mounts so I am gonna add that to the list! Best place brand to get those?

I am gonna try Napa for the other parts!

Would love to do the highline cluster swap on my 2005.5 package 2.

Last edited:

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
Firehawk! YES! you are the man! An motivting me!

So I am in a little delimma with my 2005.5.

She runs good at 265K! Stage 1.5 tune. Rode great until a few months back and started to destroy are destroying a the front tires... (wifes car)

I think I need/want to replace: (all stock as far as o know)
1. Full LCA's, Tie rod Ends, Ball Joints, Rear LCA bushing, Struts (Billstien B4), Strut Mounts, Rear shocks.. alignment and new set of tires.

Never done the "dogbone" mounts or Motor Mounts so I am gonna add that to the list! Best place brand to get those?

I am gonna try Napa for the other parts!

Would love to do the highline cluster swap on my 2005.5 package 2.
If you want to do the high line cluster swap I would plan on sending the old and new cluster off rendering the car inoperable so they can have the info.cloned.

I was able to get this done myself but it wasn't quick. Lots of trial and error. I would not be able to assist via forums on that one.

To fully replace the dog bone you have to drop the subframe and hammer out the old.mounts. I used a press to get the new ones in. I tried first.to tap them in. Nope not happening for me so I went to the press.

They hammer out fairly easy because they are plastic but boy is it a tight fit getting them back in!

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh, to answer your question about where I bought mounts.

IMO Do NOT buy from local parts stores. They'll sell you the Chinese ones for $100 each!!!

I opted to buy the Chinese ones off amazon for the engine and trans mount. My logic is they're relatively easy to replace and if they do fail the consequence is minimal. They were around $30 each.

The sub frame dog bone donut things that are pressed in I went with idparts. Not much consequence if these fail however due to the labor to replace them I went with ones that had good reviews.

Anyone use blacksmoke tuning lately? I had in the past on a few VW's I've had. Always been satisfied with the results and they were super fast to reply.

This time however I sent them the dump from my computer almost 2 weeks ago.

I had one reply since saying we're working on your file.

It's been a week since that reply.

I'm starting to wonder if either the BRM is something they haven't done much of or something else is going on....??

EDIT: For those not in the know blacksmoke tunes aren't BLACK SMOKE, that's just the name of their website. I absolutely hate people who "roll coal" intentionally.

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
Went back and grabbed a few more things. Mainly just pigtails to add to the fuse box for more circuits.

Found the other mirror. It was in the next car over lol. Mirror glass no good but i'll be dismantling the mirrors anyhow to swap covers and glass.

Here's the mirrors with the puddle lights.

illtww

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI/DSG
How much of the "sub frame/ dog bone mounts" went over to the press to get the new mounts installed?

Trying to envision that. Car on the lit and all.

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
The whole subframe piece went to the press.

It pressed in pretty easy until it got to the notch in each mount. You'll see what I mean when you have the new parts in hand. Once it got to those notches the whole mount wanted to tweek over to one side.

Steady and straight pressing got them both in without ripping the piece that was tweeking off.

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
Without VW's special on car tool I do not see how the top one is even possible without a press.

Even the bottom one would be one hell of a battle without a press.

Before I had the new parts in hand I thought they would be metal. My thought was to throw the new ones in the freezer to contract them a few thou then pop them in.

Nope, they're plastic.

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
Rain sensor windshield installed.

Rain sensor + appropriate rear view mirror retrofitted.

Rain sensor works great. Happened to be sprinkling after I left the shop.

Auto headlights now work also as does the auto window up when car is off and rain is detected feature!

Tested it in the shop with a spray bottle. :)

That's my favorite one.

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
The only thing I can think of that I haven't finished is the 115v outlet install.

It's installed and harness run to the dash. I have not tied the harness in yet.

I'm am not sure I am going to use the alternator to trigger the outlet or not yet.