I'm baaack!

pharmerman

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat, maroon (gone but not forgotten), 2002 Passat GLX v-6 Manual
Haven't been here in about 10 years. Haven't seen any of you since the Grand Rapids, Michigan TDI fest. I've long since parted with that '96 Passat (B4), but vee dub runs deep in my veins. I had a wonderful 2002 passat gasser (RIP), and my son is driving a 2015 passat (too nice for a first car, but if you're married, you already know that argument was lost before it started). Anyway, I'm BACK, doing my research and preparing to grab another oil burner. The tech advancements are incredible. I feel like I'm carrying an Apple IIe and you guys are carrying quantum computers. Despite all that, I'm still hopelessly in love with the B5.5. It's VW's most beautiful design language (imho), and executed with more excitement than its sister Audi A4 of the same platform. So let us begin: Beyond bone stock, what mods would YOUR dream B5.5 tdi have, and why?

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS, 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL Premium
I'll play:

Balance shaft delete
5-speed manual conversion w/ stage 2 tune.
Recently replaced camshaft (bonus points if franko6 mk2.0 camshaft is installed)
Ceramic tints
Panzer/Evolution skid plate
Multimedia head unit with Android Auto/Apple CarPlay and rearview camera
Monster Mats

pharmerman

Veteran Member
TDI
I thought the manual tranny was available for 2004-2005? I had the Panzer on my B4. Awesome upgrade. I had several deep gouges by the time I sold the car, so I know it saved me from the tow truck.

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS, 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL Premium
I thought the manual tranny was available for 2004-2005?
Nope. Only auto-tragic sold here. There are 5-speed and 6-speed manual options available to convert to though. 5-speed conversion is a little cheaper than replacing the automatic transmission if/when that fails.

The balance shaft module is the main time-bomb that must be addressed. If the chain-driven BSM has been replaced with geared BSM, i'd probably leave it in there but just be aware that the hex key can still get worn off. But if the chain-driven is still inside, just have it removed/deleted. Deleting is cheaper and more fail-safe, resulting in a little peppier driving and maybe a hair better MPGs too. The drawback is a little bit more vibration. Tolerable to most here, but BSM delete does lose a certain amount of refinement.

pharmerman

Veteran Member
TDI
Nope. Only auto-tragic sold here. There are 5-speed and 6-speed manual options available to convert to though. 5-speed conversion is a little cheaper than replacing the automatic transmission if/when that fails.

The balance shaft module is the main time-bomb that must be addressed. If the chain-driven BSM has been replaced with geared BSM, i'd probably leave it in there but just be aware that the hex key can still get worn off. But if the chain-driven is still inside, just have it removed/deleted. Deleting is cheaper and more fail-safe, resulting in a little peppier driving and maybe a hair better MPGs too. The drawback is a little bit more vibration. Tolerable to most here, but BSM delete does lose a certain amount of refinement.
Good to know. Always something quirky to deal with on these. Any successful GLX 4-motion conversions? Marty lives within an hour of me, so I'm mulling over building my dream rather than trying to find it.

pharmerman

Veteran Member
TDI
My favorite mod is to ditch the passat body and chassis and drop the engine in a B7 audi A4 quattro, with a 6 speed manual.
You have my full and undivided attention. Would you happen to have a link to someone doing this swap? Seems like computer management would choke unless it's an engine code already used in Europe.

pharmerman

Veteran Member
TDI
Looks like you may be in the Windsor area. I'm in West Michigan. Do you have a shop?

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Hey QuickTD, does the B7 intercooler use the same fittings as the Passat BHW.

This is very interesting. My son has a B7 TFSI that supposedly has been rebuilt. When (not if) it takes a dump, may talk him into converting it with the Passat I just picked up with a bad transmission.

Did they import a B7 Avant 2.0 and manual to the US?

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
When you mention Audi B7 A4 Quattro, what years are you referring to? 2005-2008?

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
should we look at 2004-5 only for a BHW swap? I've seen a bunch of S4 manuals for sale. The V8 probably kills mating a BHW to those manuals, huh?

Last edited:

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So we could use the 2005 passat TDI engine, harness and reflashed ecu in a 2006-2008 Audi 2.0TFSI and avoid everything else including any Audi S4 since they had a V8? I did some research on the TFSI. It's basically a hybrid gas engine with direct injection like a TDI which makes it ideal for a BHW replacement. Demon Diesel has a nice build thread in the conversion forum. So Audi made and imported 2.0 T and 2.0 TFSI to the states or only Canada?

Last edited:

pharmerman

Veteran Member
TDI
The Audi 2.0 TFSI with a tdi and seats from the s4 would be close enough for me.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I was looking through classifieds and every 2006-2008 Audi 2.0T was also an FSI. Looks like lots of donor cars out there for a swap. I'm down for one!

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Have you had any problems getting the BPW ecu and harness? Frans a good source for them? Malone is good for the reflash and stage 2 tune? Is the C5 A6 a good swap candidate? I like the longer wheelbase of the A6. Did Audi put the 2.0TFSI in them with manuals or were they all 3.2 v6 or other? Didn't Audi put a TDI 4 cylinder engine in them as a base diesel? Probably never imported to the states if they did. I've never seen one.

Last edited:

pharmerman

Veteran Member
TDI
I've had enough experience w/ diesel to know that's what I want, but not enough time, tools, or energy to do it myself. Is there anyone out there that would do the swap for me if I showed up with a car, the necessary parts and cash?

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's pretty awesome, QuickTD. I can reflash my ECU in my Mercedes diesel swap I did a few years back but only because of the aftermarket ECU I'm using with tuneable software I got from Baldur in Iceland. what software do you use to flash the TDI's?

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Impressive. If we go with this swap, can we send you the ecu for reflash and tune?

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
(y). I don't want to hijack pharmermans' thread so we could PM. There are a lot of these 06-08 quattro six speeds in the mid atlantic and southeast US. If you're looking for one seriously, PM me and let me know how much you want to spend and any other particulars and I'll help you find one.

TPW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A6 Avant BHW 6 speed manual, 2003 Golf ALH 506k miles
Is the C5 A6 a good swap candidate?
I did a 2003 station wagon. Used a 2005 BHW and bought 6 speed from Frans. This car had 4:11 rear end so I didn't need to buy a different one. It's a great car for longer trips, but because of it's weight, it never gets the 40+ mpg that my Passat does.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The A4 quattro's are nice cars. I really want to convert one. I'm driving an 05 TDI Passat variant converted to an FHN 5sp. Pretty nice car but not an Audi. hopefully Malone can do all the reflashing and tuning in a BPW ecu. I'll most likely be moving on to CR's in the near future . I like my deleted and stage 2 tuned 6SP manual NMS. Malone did a wonderful job on the reflash and tune.

Last edited:

J.P.

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 05 b5.5V/6spd w/274k miles (daily). Silver 02 Golf/5spd w/240k miles (fun 1). Mint Tornado Red 01 Golf/5spd w/440k (ALH still perfect!!!).
I am relatively new to the b5.5 realm and have a 6spd swapped 05 wagon with BSM deleted, Colt Stage 2 cam, Malone stage 1.5 tune. It is a comfortable and reasonably quiet car, and consistently gets 37mpg per tank in mixed-use. It doesn't feel as torquey down low as a tuned ALH, but I can pass at will with no worries and it seems to pull stronger at higher rpms. I would like a bit more performance (doesn't everyone!) - it is not as fun as my tuned A4's - but it is a much bigger and more comfortable car. I know user Sprocket in SE MI has a b5.5 wagon with a different turbo and more aggressive tuning.

My car had a 1.8T single mass flywheel (used a lot with 5spd swaps). With that setup, the car had a nasty drone/growl at 1600-2000 rpm and I went through the synchros in less than 10k miles. The 6 speed has a really long input shaft that becomes a torsion bar with a single mass flywheel and shatters synchros at will. Now I have a euro stock 6 spd flywheel/clutch and the car is smooth and pretty quiet.

I still have very notchy shifting (on a fresh rebuild) that I'm trying to sort out. I've read that it could be related to the oil. I've got Redline Lightweight Shockproof oil in it as I intend to tow 4k with it. I'm trying to figure out if it could be related to linkage as well..... Any input from the experts on this thread would be appreciated.

That said - I agree with you style-wise. I am partial to the b5.5 wagon! A roomy and sharp gear and people hauler.

I get down to Grand Rapids periodically and would be more than happy to let you drive the car.

Last edited:

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
You guys are bad... I am now cruising Facebook marketplace for audis with bad 2.0t engines to do a swap... is there any write up/build thread on the b6 audi bhw swap? I tried to look, but didn't see it.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
You don't want to do a B6, B7 is the way to go. There are a few B6 swaps in the conversion section.
Sorry, I meant b7, but since that was a couple of pages back I second guessed myself. I saw the v6 conversions, they look like a lot of work.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon

I have moved on to the Tiguan and putting TDI's in them. The sedan/wagon thing is too low for me, haha. Just looking for a a project to put the BHW in. ...
Hey vwztips, you have pictures of your conversion? This I would like to see.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
there are lots of B7's in the states but unfortunately most come from the New England and salt belt states. Any corrosion areas one should look for in particular on the B7's?