Ignition Switch Woes

twob4s

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1996, Blue
Anyone having problems with the Meyle replacement ignition switches? I have gone through 3 on my B4 TDI and 3 on my B4 VR6 in less than 18 months. Although I am getting pretty quick at replacing them, I really would prefer to stop the insanity. I am thinking of getting one through VW? Any ideas?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
How large are the key chains being used in these cars? Large heavy key chains can cause issues.

Can you see the damage on the switches? On my Corrado I had to replace the lock cylinder because there was too much slop in the movement required to turn the ignition switch to the start position and it would not always do this.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Heavy keys affect the lock mechanism(or so it's is falsely claimed), not the switch electrical contacts.

twob4s

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 1996, Blue
G60ING said:
How large are the key chains being used in these cars? Large heavy key chains can cause issues.

Can you see the damage on the switches? On my Corrado I had to replace the lock cylinder because there was too much slop in the movement required to turn the ignition switch to the start position and it would not always do this.
I don't have heavy key chains - probably about 6-8 keys on one ring. I'll check the lock cylinder, it does seem to have a lot of play in it.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
next time you go to replace the ignition switch try starting the car with a screwdriver instead of the lock cylinder. I bet it starts everytime.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Plug a new switch onto the lock tumbler and that'll fix the tumbler for a few months?!?....:confused:

Note: The post implies that a new switch corrects the problem for a few months, yet nothing is done to the lock mechanism when the switch is changed.

It is possible that the metal lock tab where it fits into the plastic switch slot is deforming the plastic of the switch over time, that some degree of lock tab rotation would then not result in the same number of degrees of switch rotation, but the looseness within the coded pin tumbler assembly doesn't do this.

Unplug the connector from the current switch, plug in one of the old switches. Turn the switch with a screw driver. If the switch works, the problem is in the lock unit still on the steering column. If the switch still doesn't work, then you know that the switch is bad.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The new switch might be tight enough when very new and then once it its broken in it needs more lock cylinder motion.

Lug_Nut said:
Unplug the connector from the current switch, plug in one of the old switches. Turn the switch with a screw driver. If the switch works, the problem is in the lock unit still on the steering column. If the switch still doesn't work, then you know that the switch is bad.
I like the sound of this test to prove or disprove my thoughts on the problem.

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Gol TDI, blue and falling apart
twob4s said:
Anyone having problems with the Meyle replacement ignition switches? I have gone through 3 on my B4 TDI and 3 on my B4 VR6 in less than 18 months. Although I am getting pretty quick at replacing them, I really would prefer to stop the insanity. I am thinking of getting one through VW? Any ideas?
What's happening that is causing you to replace them?

I've got a replacement one on my Golf at the moment. It works, but when I take the key out it still acts like the key is in the ignition. I've had to take to remembering to turn off the radio or it'll be on the next day when I get back in the car.

Seems to be a problem with fit — pushing on the switch a little causes it to work properly.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
Tom Servo said:
What's happening that is causing you to replace them?

I've got a replacement one on my Golf at the moment. It works, but when I take the key out it still acts like the key is in the ignition. I've had to take to remembering to turn off the radio or it'll be on the next day when I get back in the car.

Seems to be a problem with fit — pushing on the switch a little causes it to work properly.
I have a similar issue with my Passat. Had to replace the ignition switch April 2008. Shortly after, I too had to remember to turn off the radio. However, juggling the key, and squirting with contact cleaner did no good.

I think it has to do with the lock cylinder. I just haven't had the gumption to go after it.

Tony

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
TonyJetta said:
I have a similar issue with my Passat. Had to replace the ignition switch April 2008. Shortly after, I too had to remember to turn off the radio. However, juggling the key, and squirting with contact cleaner did no good.

I think it has to do with the lock cylinder. I just haven't had the gumption to go after it.

Tony
I put my old defective switch back in and the door chime thing worked properly, so I'm leaning more towards the replacement switch being the wrong size. It doesn't slot into the hole as perfectly as the original one.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
Tom, you may be onto a solution.

I've just been too lazy. The car runs great, the radio/CD player works great, I just have to manually turn it off. Minor quirk not worth fixing just yet, for me.

Tony

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
I just ordered a new one after getting drenched in a downpour yesterday trying to unlock the car the old fashioned way.

Today it has taken to not starting (starter turns but the dash lights are off) unless I press on the housing. Probably another loose wire. :(