Ignition Switch Issue

cb2jz

TDI
mk6 Jetta
I’m new here, have had a 2011 Jetta TDI for a couple months now, just under 192k miles on the clock. Went to start my car the other day and the key would go into the ignition, turn far enough for my head unit/radio to come on, but no further. I cannot turn the key to accessory or on or run positions. I just replaced the battery this morning as some of my other VW owner friends have told me that should have solved the problem. Anyone have any advice for me? I’m thinking it needs a new ignition switch but VW+college=no money
Thanks!

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
I’m new here, have had a 2011 Jetta TDI for a couple months now, just under 192k miles on the clock. Went to start my car the other day and the key would go into the ignition, turn far enough for my head unit/radio to come on, but no further. I cannot turn the key to accessory or on or run positions. I just replaced the battery this morning as some of my other VW owner friends have told me that should have solved the problem. Anyone have any advice for me? I’m thinking it needs a new ignition switch but VW+college=no money
Thanks!
It is not ignition switch , it is Ignition housing that needs to be replaced.
I suggest you do it soon as you can , because now you can remove Key Tumbler very easy and use existing keys back , one day , very soon , you will end up with not turning at all, and in this situation it is very hard to get tumbler out. In this situation most shops and VW Dealer will sell you new dummy valet key and new Tumbler , plus key programing , which cost much more that just using original tumbler.
Job is not that simple , steering wheel and controllers needs to be remove to replace housing .

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Not sure about the US but in Canada there is extended warranty on the steering housing on some of the jettas. Mine had it