Ignition switch causing issue?

nic_a_bod

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
So I found the threads on ignition switch issues, but they appear to pertain to MKIV - I didn't see any in my quick search about MKV's.

Anyways here's my deal I have going on. It did this once a month ago - I went to start the car and it wouldn't engage the starter when I turned the key (had lights and all on the dash) - I don't know how many tries (maybe 10) of shutting it off and turning it back on and turning the key again it started finally just like nothing was going on with it. I didn't have any codes

Well it's done this the last two days now, so something needs to be repaired. I was at the store the other night went to leave and same deal, the lights dim on the light switch when turning the key to start position and can hear a click for a split second in the dash but nothing happening with the starter, but finally after multiple tries it worked like normal.

Then last night again - I noticed that the clutch switch is working because if I didn't have the clutch pedal pushed in that click wouldn't be heard in the dash. I also disconnected the battery last night hoping something would reset, but I still couldn't get it started. I just went outside and turned the key and it tried starting now, but it was like the battery was dead as it barely turned over. I grabbed the charger and the car started right away (no waiting for it to charge) with no issue.

So I'm looking for some direction here, seems to me I should be looking at a relay this morning now instead of ignition switch issue.

Thanks everyone

nic_a_bod

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
I haven't checked codes either since the last two times, and will do that after working this morning for a bit and report back if I have some.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Remove your air filter box and look for the major chassis ground located under there. It is an acorn nut and works loose on the A5 cars. One "tell" for this is fluctuating charging voltage.

The VCDS codes you would sometimes get with the chassis ground issues would be related to glow plugs and/or steering. in VCDS you should be able to monitor the ignition switches on/off state in measuring blocks while cycling the key.

Look for terminal 50 power supply rely. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIN_72552 https://www.google.com/search?clien...XXAhWC-VQKHeSwBfMQ1QIIqgEoBQ&biw=1094&bih=568

Last edited: