Ignition module?

2ManyKMfor1Tank

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Issue popped up in my own car recently, starts fine except when sitting overnight. I bang on or turn the steering wheel and it fires up. Ignition module? This morning it wouldn't go at all, popped the hood, maybe the slam shut got it going..

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Relay 109 acting up possibly with the cold mornings? Is it turning over and not starting, or not even turning over?

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
I know its cold, but when its acting up try to see if the trigger signal for the starter is getting voltage when key is in 'start' position. Will tell you if its starter or ignition.. The starting circuit is very much simple(on/off for starting), but also keep in mind clutch safety switch.. maybe its out of alignment a bit?? Highly doubtful but would stop car from turning over, I'd point to ignition module or starter.

If its not turning over its not relay 109, it would turn over and not start if that was the issue.

2ManyKMfor1Tank

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
I know its cold, but when its acting up try to see if the trigger signal for the starter is getting voltage when key is in 'start' position. Will tell you if its starter or ignition.. The starting circuit is very much simple(on/off for starting), but also keep in mind clutch safety switch.. maybe its out of alignment a bit?? Highly doubtful but would stop car from turning over, I'd point to ignition module or starter.

If its not turning over its not relay 109, it would turn over and not start if that was the issue.
I'll check for voltage tomorrow morning. Had the battery out yesterday to check things out, had 1 broken wire on a plug going to the alternator, fixing it didn't seem to help.