Ignition key hole locked? Help!

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Hello,

2015 Passat TDI with 41k miles, CPO bought last June with 20k miles, drove fine today as usual since the day I bought it and at 6 pm today my girlfriend tried to start it but the key wont go in at all. I thought she was being a typical female freaking out over little things and told her to wiggle the wheel a bit to let that keyhole to become loose to start it up but no luck.

As I arrive and tried to insert the key and couldn’t get it in. I was shocked and double checked and noticed some kind of notch closing it.

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
You've probably already tried, but what about nudging the shift lever? I'm not sure if there's a lockout there (probably is). Also, if you remove the leather boot around your shift lever by popping the bottom edge out from the console, there is a colored lever you can lift that will engage neutral. Maybe a slight roll of the car may be in order.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Got it to work. The tow guy came over and inserted the key at 15 degree angle to get the blockage to go back inside and key slotted right in and started her up. What a simple fix. Smh will keep a eye on the Passat.

Dubin20th

TDI
2015 Jetta
Got it to work. The tow guy came over and inserted the key at 15 degree angle to get the blockage to go back inside and key slotted right in and started her up. What a simple fix. Smh will keep a eye on the Passat.

Possibly the dust cover on the ignition lock mechanism getting stuck

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Probably :) so far a day has passed and still fine.

silvrmax04

TDI
2012, 2015 Passat TDI SE
This happened a lot in our 2012. Used dry graphite lube and solved the problem. The cylinder lock is dry. Try some oil on the key and work it in and out a bunch of times.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
LOL wow. Interesting tip. Thanks!

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Here's the problem....

Valeo and Huf cant build a damn lock cylinder that is reliable for some reason...

So there is a little white plastic piece that gets dislodged and blocks the entrance to the lock cylinder. That's why you can't put the key in. You can see it in this pic:

White Plastic Piece

I dont know what it is supposed to do. But if you put a pick or something pointy in there, you can maneuver it back to the side where it belongs and you will be able to insert your key.

It will probably happen again, so keep a pick or something handy and show your lady what needs to be done.

Or you could just buy a new ignition cylinder. They are typically about $60 The dealer can order you one keyed to your VIN so your original key will still owrk.

Brad95

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE Manual since 09/28/12-04/05/18, 2015 Passat TDI SE Manual Since 03/29/2018
2015 Passat key won't go into ignition!.

Hello,

2015 Passat TDI with 41k miles, CPO bought last June with 20k miles, drove fine today as usual since the day I bought it and at 6 pm today my girlfriend tried to start it but the key wont go in at all. I thought she was being a typical female freaking out over little things and told her to wiggle the wheel a bit to let that keyhole to become loose to start it up but no luck.

As I arrive and tried to insert the key and couldn’t get it in. I was shocked and double checked and noticed some kind of notch closing it.

Any ideas?
believe it or not exactly same scenario (41k miles, CPO) but in my case my son was trying to start a car, said there is white plastic piece won't move backward.. finally after little haggling it did work!. than again after few days started doing the same.

after few days and little homework, according to this link https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t55350_ds761427..
and this :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Bl3mdzLaYc&app=desktop

disconnected negative battery cable, removed upper plastic shroud with trim remover wedge and it will give access to both hidden screws behind steering wheel. with key in, tilted the steering wheel to left and right to gain access to both screws.one more screw on the bottom of the shroud out!.

inserted a key in with curtain hook (paper clip did not work for me) (Erwin says Insert steel wire (1.2 mm diameter) into hole next to ignition. turn key to run position and gently push clip in, to unlatch cylinder lever from the steering lock housing. while releasing the lever on the lock cylinder with clip, simultaneously and gently pull cylinder out with the key.

Disconnected the cable from cylinder, removed that black plastic piece with spring and problem solved!!! it took me about 20 mins!.

to install it back, Connected the cable (immobilizer) to cylinder. Inserted curtain hook into the cylinder and the ignition key into the cylinder to the “Run” position. unlatched cylinder lever with hook and inserted the lock cylinder. reconnected negative battery cable, test drove it until all lights reset itself!.

Last edited:

oswegoPD

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TSI, 2013 Passat 6M sold, 2012 Jetta Premium DSG sold, 2004 Jetta GL 5M (sold)
I can't get the key to go into my 2014. I used to be able to turn the wheel side to side. Now that won't work. The steering column is locked. I sprayed WD-40. That did not work.

raciohurg

TDI
none
Haha, it's still not the woman's fault. There are such problems with cars. I have a BMW, and I had precisely the same problem with it. I thought that only at BMW were their such problems, but it seems not. Everything is solvable. The best solution is to use a good locksmith who will fix your problem. I turned to the locksmith at mylocallocksmithtx.com. I appealed to them because I only heard positive things about them, and I was sure that I would have a qualitative result. By the way, it doesn't cost much, so don't hesitate to use a padlock. Be careful to choose a well-qualified locksmith.

Last edited: