If you didn't have a Mk4 TDI, what would you drive?

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I like the Tesla but just couldn't tolerate spending that kind of money on a luxury car that I can't use for long trips.
:confused: As long as you currently don't want to go to West Texas, the UP, North Dakota, Arkansas, Maine, you can go on a few long trips:
http://www.teslamotors.com/findus/supercharger/us

And it gets better in 2015 with Maine's first Supercharger station

Then in 2016, Arkansas, North Dakota, and West Texas will have stations.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
My litmus test is, "can I visit my son in western MA?" 250 mile round trip, can be very cold (or very hot), and there's no way there will be any supercharger station out there anytime soon. And if there was, I wouldn't want to plan the trip around visiting it in a location I may not be going to otherwise.

I drove to Detroit and back in January in my wagon, about 1,750 miles round trip. Two 10 minute fuel stops. Tesla can't hold a candle to that.

Cleenlivin

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan (DSG) boughtback, 2004 Jetta TDI Sedan (Tiptronic), 2004 Jetta TDI Sedan (5 speed)
Phaeton TDI...

I've always thought a VW Phaeton TDI would be a nice car....luxury and speed. The problem would be lack of folks to repair it.

FYI...my 06' Corolla has been pretty trouble free and "bulletproof", however its a slug on the freeway and handles pretty bad. A 2015 model is probably much better all around.

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 mk3 jetta 2003 mk4 wagon
My 08 grand Cherokee 3.0 crd since buying it esp with the winter weather the Jetta has been parked..

Stiesel

TDI
None for now
Duraburb

Looking at this as more fantasy than reality right now, I'd choose a Duraburb. Ideally even, I'd like to have a Suburban with the Banks 3.0 VM I saw he has now.

IDoSeaDoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta, CJAA 6spd
2010 VW Jetta TDI with the common rail. Seems like the next best thing after my A4. The mileage is a bit worse, but it's a much more comfortable car IMO. The commonrail has me fearing a fuel system self-destruction scenario though... I don't think it would be as hardy as my awesome little PD :)

Bought the jetta for fuel economy, turned out it's an awesome tow-horse too! It doubles as my light-utility vehicle. Bought the fiance a 2012 civic, which was supposed to get 31-39. It gets 28 mixed, and only ONCE got 39 when I did all highway going 55mph. What BS Honda, I had much higher expectations!

MVP

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, GLS 5-speed, Baltic Green Past: 2001 Golf 4-door, GLS 5-speed
3rd Gen 4runner

Right now I am driving a 2000 4runner SR5 4X4, until I finally get my hands on an A4....

Insomniac13

TDI
2005 Jetta
If I couldn't take my Dad's 3000GT I'd be back to my old daily driver, my Cummins. At least the GT gets around 28 MPG on the highway if you baby it.

TDI_G

Veteran Member
TDI
None Currently- 2008 BMW 335I
I had considered selling my MK4 and getting a Ford Focus ST but can't bring myself to giving up the fuel mileage and distance of the TDI. With that said, if there were no more MK4's, I would definitely scoop up the Focus ST.

TDI Tinkerer

TDI
'01 Jetta
Hmm, pretty simple answer for me, but I would not get to far in it... My '79 F-100. It's got the Ford 300 ci, and I get about 18L/100 avg :p

macphee23

TDI
2002 ALH Jetta
If I was going to drive something it would have to be the 5.7 4x4 Standard Cab Short Bed Tundra I sold before I bought the Jetta. Worked an 11 day on 3 day off schedule and never needed to drive(travelled with my foreman) so having the truck was awesome. Switched jobs and went to 4on - 4off and having to drive myself. First day I showed up to new job with my truck I had it sold :p did about 1500 kms every 4 days. 1 $50 tank for the car versus 2 $100 tanks in the truck.