If you are considering buyback which cars are you looking at as replacements?

redginger

TDI
2014 Jetta Value Edition
With a buyback date of early April, I need to get into gear and go car shopping. I am having difficulty finding something that even comes close to the gas mileage of my Jetta, has the same responsiveness (0-to-60 and braking), and is as fun to drive. I would keep the Jetta, but my windshield cracked right in my line of sight for no apparent reason while I was driving. With the replacement windshield, I have an unwanted amount of wind and road noise. And, I can't really pass up the buyback deal.

I am trying to spend under $30k. I have no need for tech packages and prefer a simpler dashboard from olden times with actual knobs and no screens/distractions. This was one reason why I got my TDI value edition - the option for satellite radio is as high tech as it gets.

I test drove a Subaru Outback (too big, awful gas mileage) and a Legacy (too much road noise) last weekend - I don't think I'm joining the cult of Subaru.

I'm considering:
Honda Accord (maybe the hybrid)
Mazda 6
Hyundai Elantra
Ford Fusion

Toyota Prius seems like an obvious choice for the gas mileage, but I hate driving behind one of those things. They seem so sluggish.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
I'm planning to get a Mazda 3 hatchback. It's naturally aspirated so there is no turbo to worry about. It uses regular gasoline so the fuel will alway be the lowest price, locally diesel is 10% more. The infotainment system seems kind of weird and should have had Apple Play like all of the competition. That and the black interiors are about my only complaints. I need and like hatchbacks or I might take a look at the 6.

I've driven an Elantra once while VW was working on my car and wasn't impressed. No experience with the Accords. My parents 2010 Fusion that I located for them has been a gem but it has since been redesigned. The day that I buy a Prius I will join the Hari Krishnas and adopt cats.

mojo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI, 6M, United Gray; 2014 Jetta TDI, 6M, Tornado Red
We just put a deposit down on Mazda 3 Touring 2.5 hatchback (manual). Pick it up Wednesday evening! As happy as I've been with my Golf TDI, I'll be happy to have this mess behind me. We also have a newer Jetta TDI, so that will taken care of later in the year -- not sure what the replacement will be yet.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
We just put a deposit down on Mazda 3 Touring 2.5 hatchback (manual).
Yes. I test drove an M3 manual. Clutch, transmission and brakes were first class. Not so nuts about the add-on looking screen atop the dashboard................

Ditto for the somber black interiors which seem to predominate.

Reckon VWs GSW 5M/15-inch wheels in White with (cloth, ugh!) interior will be a frontrunner with folks over on vw vortex reporting low to mid 40's highway MPG.

ez

friedduck

TDI
'15 GSW
@SigQ5, the Q5 TDI is looking really good. Hope to get a test drive of one this week. I've driven so far:

Q5: Handles very carlike and fun to drive. Linear power, and enough to be entertaining. Carves corners beautifully for an SUV.

Outback: Loved the interior quality on the top-level demo. Very abrupt throttle tip-in. Good, but not great power over all. Tons of room, and it'd be great for towing a small trailer, hauling bikes & whatnot. I like that it's naturally aspirated and takes regular gas, which partly offsets the poor gas mileage.

Mercedes AMG GLC43: Dealer didn't have the GLC300 and let me take this for a spin. Holy sh*t. Immediate power, snarling motor, and snap shifts. Reminds me of a GTS Porsche I drove once, only with a more flash interior. One hundred percent chance I'd lose my license, and go bankrupt feeding tires to this thing.

Volkswagen Alltrack: thought I would love it but it felt meh. Much better suspension than on my GSW. Better off-the-line manners, but kind of fell flat in the midrange. I'd miss the TDI midrange.

Still have a couple of others to check out. I wish the new Tiguan were out as that'd be in the running.

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
I'm planning to get a Mazda 3 hatchback. It's naturally aspirated so there is no turbo to worry about. It uses regular gasoline so the fuel will alway be the lowest price, locally diesel is 10% more. The infotainment system seems kind of weird and should have had Apple Play like all of the competition. That and the black interiors are about my only complaints. I need and like hatchbacks or I might take a look at the 6.
I've driven an Elantra once while VW was working on my car and wasn't impressed. No experience with the Accords. My parents 2010 Fusion that I located for them has been a gem but it has since been redesigned. The day that I buy a Prius I will join the Hari Krishnas and adopt cats.
Have any of you Mazda 3 candidates looked at a Kia Forte 5 or a Civic Hatchback? The Forte is getting great performance reviews, and currently has some pretty big discounts. The Civic is new, but looks a little interesting and at least has Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, not to mention it gets around 35mpg on regular.

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
I've only requested quotes through True Car once, with the Passat, and didn't go that route. All the other times I only use it as a reference, but handle email negotiations directly with groups of dealers in my region.
It seemed like an impediment with the VW, that the dealer expected me to fall into the True Car price range. I had an easier time going it on my own, just referencing True Car's pricing data.
Have you, or anyone else here, used Costco for a purchase? I don't know much, but it sounds like they take dealer invoice, discount $500, and call it a day. Simple, I guess. Anyone?

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual; 2006 mkV Jetta TDI / 5-speed / Pkg 2
Have you, or anyone else here, used Costco for a purchase? I don't know much, but it sounds like they take dealer invoice, discount $500, and call it a day. Simple, I guess. Anyone?
I haven't. It can't hurt to shop them. My belief is you can do better if you strike out on your own and solicit a bunch of dealers to compete for your business. A Costco price has to include a healthy amount of padding for the dealers.

Also, it's worth checking into whether a Costco price factors in any manufacturer incentives, which change month to month. When I was shopping for my Flex five years ago, a few on the forum were looking at Ford X-Plan pricing, and it was not only a mediocre discount, but cashback incentives couldn't be applied.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Have any of you Mazda 3 candidates looked at a Kia Forte 5 or a Civic Hatchback? The Forte is getting great performance reviews, and currently has some pretty big discounts. The Civic is new, but looks a little interesting and at least has Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, not to mention it gets around 35mpg on regular.
I have looked at YouTube reviews comparing them and looked at Consumers Report in depth. Civic has a CVT. Forte is a KIA.

cane929

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI DSG S
My wife's Mazda 3 is 6 years old and has been an amazing car with zero problems, just oil changes and a new set of tire that was bought using my vw dealer card :) it is also made in Japan, I was surprised to see the new 3's are made in Mexico, didn't know Mazda have a factory in Mexico. VIN's start with a "3".

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
I test drove a Mazda 3, the parchment leather interior is gorgeous if you want to get away from black... Also; Mazda connect is a pretty sweet infotainment system that really pulls the best features from much higher brands such as BMW.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
We took a look at the C-Max - the Ford sales guy practically did all he could to convince us that it would lose half its value the day we left the lot, and it's resale price was lousy, adding that the car pool stickers would only be good for 18 months for some reason. Never seen a guy who gave us such a good test drive kinda slam the concept of owning one
At least he's being upfront with you on the drawbacks of the purchase. Better than the typical sales person saying, "I've never heard of that problem before"

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
With a buyback date of early April, I need to get into gear and go car shopping. I am having difficulty finding something that even comes close to the gas mileage of my Jetta, has the same responsiveness (0-to-60 and braking), and is as fun to drive. I would keep the Jetta, but my windshield cracked right in my line of sight for no apparent reason while I was driving. With the replacement windshield, I have an unwanted amount of wind and road noise. And, I can't really pass up the buyback deal.

I am trying to spend under $30k. I have no need for tech packages and prefer a simpler dashboard from olden times with actual knobs and no screens/distractions. This was one reason why I got my TDI value edition - the option for satellite radio is as high tech as it gets.

I test drove a Subaru Outback (too big, awful gas mileage) and a Legacy (too much road noise) last weekend - I don't think I'm joining the cult of Subaru.

I'm considering:
Honda Accord (maybe the hybrid)
Mazda 6
Hyundai Elantra
Ford Fusion

Toyota Prius seems like an obvious choice for the gas mileage, but I hate driving behind one of those things. They seem so sluggish.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?
I never actually drove an Accord since I found out the rear seat folds but doesn't split (not car seat conducive), but I drove a 6 and loved it. I think that Mazda is a small enough automaker that they bake all the goodies into every car, so other than the HVAC being regular or dual zone, the interior is nice on all of them, ya know? Whereas Honda makes more Accords in a month than you can believe, so they have a line making base models, another mid range, another fancy, etc. They can afford distinctly different trims.
My wife has a '13 Elantra and I'm meh on it... The newer ones are probably nicer, but I can't wait for her to pull the trigger on something bigger. I can't speak to newer Fusions (Drover a rental '09-ish once, was nice), but I will tell you Prii are quicker off the line than most people drive them. They seem sluggish because the cult of hypermilers drive them that way :) That said, the new ones are uglier than a Pontiac Aztek.

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
My wife's Mazda 3 is 6 years old and has been an amazing car with zero problems, just oil changes and a new set of tire that was bought using my vw dealer card :) it is also made in Japan, I was surprised to see the new 3's are made in Mexico, didn't know Mazda have a factory in Mexico. VIN's start with a "3".
My wife's 3 very similar. No problems. Not a fan of the 2012 interior though. But it has been problem free.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I'll be able to either pay it off after the 9th, or keep the cash and make some payments to help the credit some more.
If you're happy (content) with the terms of the loan, my recommendation would be to stick some (half) of the VW money in savings and use the rest to pay off the higher interest rate stuff. The more monthly payments you can eliminate, the more it will help your back account. Credit ratings are not the "be all, end all" of life and will improve when you get everything else paid off. If everything else is paid off, then you can always pay more towards your new car.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
There's plenty of screens that can distract you in the Prius, although you can shut some of them off. As far as performance... it's not as fast as a 2.0 TDI. I'd say it's about as fast as a 04-06 Mk4 TDI with a manual. Worth test driving one, though, I quite like mine.

Most of what you're looking at has screens, though.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Whereas Honda makes more Accords in a month than you can believe, so they have a line making base models, another mid range, another fancy, etc. They can afford distinctly different trims.
I was told (not sure if this is fact) that each trim level also has different levels of insulation. So the highest trim level also has the least road noise.

tsingtao

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Mazda 3 Hatchback 2009 Jetta TDI--Bought back 12/21/16
I bought a new 2016 in Dec to replace my Jetta, it was still manufactured in Japan (Hiroshima) and the VIN starts with a "J".

tsingtao

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Mazda 3 Hatchback 2009 Jetta TDI--Bought back 12/21/16
Bought a new 2016 Mazda 3 hatchback with the base 2.0 engine at the end of November to replace my Jetta.

Couldn't decide on manual or auto (my TDI was a manual) but the selection of 2016s was limited and the one I wanted had an auto. I have been very happy with the car. So far the mileage in combined driving has run about 34mpg as opposed to 37-38 for the TDI on the same routes. (Given that here in AZ I can get RUG for 1.99 to 2.09 and diesel is running at 2.39 to 2.49 the fuel cost per mile is about the same.) Have gotten as high as 45.5mpg on the freeway (again given the cost of fuel it is comparable to the TDI).

I don't miss the turbo lag and the constant DPF regenerations of the TDI at all.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Regretfully I am going with an automatic this time. I foresee constant widening work on I 10 and the resulting traffic jams. More of my driving is urban. This is bad since the Mazda would have a great manual compared to the competing Chevrolet Cruze. It appears that Consumers is Report differs with J D Powers as to Mazda reliability. I will go with the long term reputation and users recommendations from this forum and others that I am on. Maybe I am wrong, it is bound to happen eventually.

cane929

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI DSG S
I bought a new 2016 in Dec to replace my Jetta, it was still manufactured in Japan (Hiroshima) and the VIN starts with a "J".
Good to know, will be checking vin's when the time comes to make sure we get a "J" vin

UNsweet

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 TDI Sportwagon
If you're happy (content) with the terms of the loan, my recommendation would be to stick some (half) of the VW money in savings and use the rest to pay off the higher interest rate stuff. The more monthly payments you can eliminate, the more it will help your back account. Credit ratings are not the "be all, end all" of life and will improve when you get everything else paid off. If everything else is paid off, then you can always pay more towards your new car.
Thanks, that is where I'm leaning right now. I just need to pencil it all out budget wise what will work best. At least having some breathing room for a change is going to be nice.

My beef with the credit thing was buying a car (done), and someday put in a pool!

epssax

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW, SEL, 74K
Very frustrated

I am in Florida for the winter and live 1000 miles away. I have been pouring over Craigslist ads and cars.com to find a diesel car. Found a clean e320 cdi in Louisville and had a friend test drive it, but it didn't have bluetooth phone or navigation. Found a 2006 jetta Tdi that needed the tranny repaired(unknown cost)

So today I drove 350 miles to look at a E320 cdi that the guy said was fine. When I got there the car was a mess. Wheels were dis colored and pitted, upholstery was worn and dirty, headliner ragged, inside smelled like a leak, hood had misalignment from being closed with something on the fender well. This Mercedes had been let go that you have to go through EVERYTHING(thousands of dollars). When I told the guy that he should have told me the car was in rough shape he told me he didn't think it was in rough shape.

It appears my 33 year diesel ownership may be over! I don't even like gas cars!

Then I get home after this mess and received an email saying I have to resubmit my information. Very frustrating.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
There are good, clean e320 CDIs out there. Just keep looking. If you want another alternative there are good 335ds in the mid-teens.

epssax

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW, SEL, 74K
Trunk space

There are good, clean e320 CDIs out there. Just keep looking. If you want another alternative there are good 335ds in the mid-teens.
From what I read the trunk space is small and inside the cabin is small. I love the idea of a 335d, however. I understand its a real performer.

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Regretfully I am going with an automatic this time. I foresee constant widening work on I 10 and the resulting traffic jams. More of my driving is urban. This is bad since the Mazda would have a great manual compared to the competing Chevrolet Cruze. It appears that Consumers is Report differs with J D Powers as to Mazda reliability. I will go with the long term reputation and users recommendations from this forum and others that I am on. Maybe I am wrong, it is bound to happen eventually.
my 2007 Mazda 3 GT has been very reliable. No complaints in that department.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
From what I read the trunk space is small and inside the cabin is small. I love the idea of a 335d, however. I understand its a real performer.
Trunk space is not bad, opening is small. I would say that the interior is bigger than a JSW. Back seat is very useable. But it's not a big car inside. And it is startlingly quick, enough that I'm debating whether or not it needs a tune.

TDI57

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Going back to basics. My 2003 Toyota Tacoma is back in my hands from my son. 4WD, 5 speed, crank windows 2.7 liter bullet proof truck. No more concerns about turbos, DPF, DSG, HPFP and all the other complexities. All I have to do is routine maintenance and keep rust off the frame. These trucks are known for reliability and as far as I am concerned simplicity, certainly as compared to Germans. Don't get me wrong, love German cars just want to simplify my life right now.