If you are considering buyback which cars are you looking at as replacements?

razorrod

TDI
Passat SEL
its not smart idea, due they have cheating device as well, it's more likely we will be buy recall or something like this. Plus I would stay away from Jeep/Dodge as well, since I was reading Bosch's software and engine can have cheating devices as well.

Am I the only one that replaced my 2.0 TDI with a 3.0 TDI?

dje502

TDI
gone
Replacing 2011 Golf TDI with 2017 Golf Wolfsburg. Getting the 2017 today. Buyback date is in February.
Overall the Golf suits my needs. Because I have low miles on the 2011 & am getting $5k off the 2017, I actually wind up pocketing $2600 after the buyback & paying for the 2017.

alightner

TDI
Multiple
The JSW was a great road trip car, but ground clearance was abysmal because we added a hitch to hold a bike rack. Most of our road trips are to parks (often with dirt or gravel roads) so we decided we wanted a Jeep Wrangler for the new road trip car. I'm not sure how long it'll take before the MPG on the jeep induces me to add a third car so that my daily driver can stop guzzling gas.

The Passat was a great commuter with lots of leg room in the backseat and also a large trunk. It looks like the accord is the closest match so far.

CT_White_SRT

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL
The JSW was a great road trip car, but ground clearance was abysmal because we added a hitch to hold a bike rack. Most of our road trips are to parks (often with dirt or gravel roads) so we decided we wanted a Jeep Wrangler for the new road trip car. I'm not sure how long it'll take before the MPG on the jeep induces me to add a third car so that my daily driver can stop guzzling gas.
The Passat was a great commuter with lots of leg room in the backseat and also a large trunk. It looks like the accord is the closest match so far.
We are opposite. I got a 3rd vehicle as we did not think the Wrangler was a good road trip car.

Cincy_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SE TDI
Replaced my 2015 Jetta with a 2016 RAV4 AWD. I missed sitting up higher , will get crappier gas MLg but oh well. At least I dont have to worry about $800 DSG services ( I did on my own so I know how to) plus I got free oil changes for life..

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Replacing 2011 Golf TDI with 2017 Golf Wolfsburg. Getting the 2017 today. Buyback date is in February.
Overall the Golf suits my needs. Because I have low miles on the 2011 & am getting $5k off the 2017, I actually wind up pocketing $2600 after the buyback & paying for the 2017.

Looking at a similar deal(s)

Hard to pin down the OTD price.

The three 2017 Wolfburg car(s) at at dealers several hundreds of miles away.

Need to get a dealer willing to work with a car hauler

Also looking at the 2017 Jetta 1.4

alightner

TDI
Multiple
We are opposite. I got a 3rd vehicle as we did not think the Wrangler was a good road trip car.
Interesting... Did you have a 2 door or 4 door and what type of travel did you do? We have rented wranglers twice for road trips to national parks, so it might just depend on where you're taking them and what you plan to do when you get there. On the bright side you said you added a car for road trips so I assume you still kept your jeep for the utility factor :)

TDILeo

Veteran Member
TDI
CW 2011 Golf TDI 6M Repurchased By VW 1/30/17 1985 VW GTI
May I ask you what you paid OTD for your 2017 Golf Wolfsburg? I want to get a feel for pricing should I go that route. We do NOT have a sales tax in Oregon. Thanks in advance.

Jet A

TDI
2009 Jetta
Feb 6 is my paperwork day for the buyback. Already replaced my 2009 Jetta with a 2014 Tesla Model S P85 (no autopilot)

dje502

TDI
gone
May I ask you what you paid OTD for your 2017 Golf Wolfsburg? I want to get a feel for pricing should I go that route. We do NOT have a sales tax in Oregon. Thanks in advance.
The Wolfsburg I bought was an automatic & included the monster mat kit with the trunk liner. OTD was $20200 which included 6% PA sales tax, new plates, & doc fees.
Discounted price of the car with owner loyalty was $18796

TDILeo

Veteran Member
TDI
The Wolfsburg I bought was an automatic & included the monster mat kit with the trunk liner. OTD was $20200 which included 6% PA sales tax, new plates, & doc fees.
Discounted price of the car with owner loyalty was $18796
Thank you. I'd prolly select the 5M for myself, but if I could get out the door under 19K, that might work. Around these parts, most dealers have only DSGs in that model.

Last edited:

dje502

TDI
gone
Thank you. I'd prolly select the 5M for myself, but if I could get out the door under 19K, that might work. Around these parts, most dealers have only DSGs in that model.
Yeah, going with the 5M knocks $1100 off the price.
BTW, it's actually just a regular 6 speed automatic, not a DSG. My 2011 TDI has the DSG. So far I only got to drive it home from the dealer in the pouring rain. I haven't had a chance to really compare the difference between the autos. The up side is no DSG maintenance cost.
So far I'm liking the Wolfsburg. Gotta learn the new features. Got to test the blind spot monitor on the ride home.

Fordman

TDI
golf
I picked up a used Ford CMax for pennies on the dollar (low resale) and this is an AMAZING car!!! LOVE IT

TDILeo

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, going with the 5M knocks $1100 off the price.
BTW, it's actually just a regular 6 speed automatic, not a DSG.
You're right, what was I thinking? Please post your impressions about the WE Golf as you put a few more miles on it. My buyback occurs at the end of January, so maybe I will see how much the dealer is willing to 'sharpen the pencil' on a deal. :)

CT_White_SRT

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL
Interesting... Did you have a 2 door or 4 door and what type of travel did you do? We have rented wranglers twice for road trips to national parks, so it might just depend on where you're taking them and what you plan to do when you get there. On the bright side you said you added a car for road trips so I assume you still kept your jeep for the utility factor :)

We have a 4 door. It is a Hard Rock. I like it.

More of regular road trips. Not camping / hiking / etc.

I don't drive it much now. May decide to sell. Don't think I have started it since November.

Been driving the TDI until buy back. May get an R. Not sure.

Debra Morgan

Veteran Member
TDI
Memories of a fantastic 2015 Jetta
I think the reason you're seeing so many Mazdas in this thread is that Mazda is one of the few automakers aiming at the "premium-for-a-normal-price and fun to drive" niche throughout their lineup.

Volkswagen sacrifices reliability to get in that niche, Mazda sacrifices corrosion protection and sound insulation.

Their sales continue to fall though. Nice cars, but horrible resale and people don't seem to desire them very much for some reason.

Debra Morgan

Veteran Member
TDI
Memories of a fantastic 2015 Jetta
We have a 4 door. It is a Hard Rock. I like it.

More of regular road trips. Not camping / hiking / etc.

I don't drive it much now. May decide to sell. Don't think I have started it since November.

Been driving the TDI until buy back. May get an R. Not sure.
An R would be amazing.

MrSprdSheet

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW TDI
When the Passat goes my garage will be VW free for the first time in 24 years. I've been on TDIClub since 2003. I'm loyal, but I'm not blind.
34 years. Just ended for me. About the same on TDIClub. Over holiday talked to buddy with a pristine '12 TDI Touareg, w/<20k miles. Told him how the settlement works less well for his profile. He's bummed.

Jackmc

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen
If you're looking for a great road trip car with plenty of ground clearance check out the Mercedes Benz GLK 250 diesel. We just got one and so far we're getting 34 mpg on the highway and it's very quiet.

bird67

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI*
Over holiday talked to buddy with a pristine '12 TDI Touareg, w/<20k miles. Told him how the settlement works less well for his profile. He's bummed.
Clarify why the settlement works less well for him? It might turn out okay for him, as he has a Gen 1 3.0 (through MY 2012). Those owners are getting a buyback option. Those of us with the Gen 2 3.0 (2013 and up) are getting hosed, but the Gen 1 folks could end up okay. It all depends on the numbers for the buyback, which won't be announced until 1/31 at the earliest. So he shouldn't despair yet...

bird67

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI*
If you're looking for a great road trip car with plenty of ground clearance check out the Mercedes Benz GLK 250 diesel. We just got one and so far we're getting 34 mpg on the highway and it's very quiet.
+1. We bought a CPO 2015 GLK 250 last spring, outstanding vehicle, mileage is great and it performs terrifically in the snow (I discovered this w/e).

Only negative for the GLK is we found its regular headlights to be terrible. Check the GLK forums for many discussions about this. This was a dealbreaker for us. It took us months to find ours, with xenons, 1200 miles away, and we bought it sight unseen.

tsingtao

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Mazda 3 Hatchback 2009 Jetta TDI--Bought back 12/21/16
Their sales continue to fall though. Nice cars, but horrible resale and people don't seem to desire them very much for some reason.
Just looked at Edmunds, FWIW the 5yr depreciation on a Jetta Sedan is 48% and a Mazda3 Sedan 50%. The dollar value for depreciation on the VW is higher due to the higher initial cost. The difference in depreciation is more than made up for in the higher costs for repairs and maintenance for the VW.

https://www.edmunds.com/volkswagen/jetta/2016/st-401575143/cost-to-own/

https://www.edmunds.com/mazda/3/2016/st-200743781/cost-to-own/

These are for MY 2016

In any case, I plan to keep my cars for a long time so I never pay much attention to depreciation. I planned to keep the TDI for over 10 years; that was until the ticking time bomb nature (HPFP, DPF, etc) made itself known. Then, fortunately, the buyback gave me an easy out. I did love the car, one of the best I've ever had.

Last edited:

speedrye

Veteran Member
TDI
13 JSW DSG, 14 JSW DSG
I think Mazda resale will also be improving now that the product itself is improving. Getting out of bed with Ford was a good move from what I've seen.