If you are considering buyback which cars are you looking at as replacements?

Sigp232

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Passat
GLC300 4matic be here next month. Bye bye VW. Guess this is how lotto winners feel when they win the big one

blaster668

TDI
2012 Jetta
I love the look of the new Civic hatch, but I'm done with cloth seats. We're cold for so much of the year and when we're not cold I'm frequently getting in the car all sweaty after a run or bike ride. My current car with upholstered seats smells like a locker-room, even with a towel over the seat. And heated seats are usually only available with leather. I've been spoiled by the heated seats in our JSW.
I wouldn't let lack of leather concern you too much if the other features on the car meet your needs. You can always have Katzkin leather installed, many dealers can even offer it as an aftermarket solution. Katzkin leather is MUCH higher quality leather than you will get in any non luxury brand vehicle and you can upgrade them to include seat heaters. You can also get pretty much any color combination you would like. I think it usually costs about $1,200 installed to get Katzkin added.

I also like manual transmissions, and leather or leatherette seats, but I won't let the lack of leather availability with manuals limit my choices as much since finding out about Katzkin.

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
I love the look of the new Civic hatch, but I'm done with cloth seats. We're cold for so much of the year and when we're not cold I'm frequently getting in the car all sweaty after a run or bike ride. My current car with upholstered seats smells like a locker-room, even with a towel over the seat. And heated seats are usually only available with leather. I've been spoiled by the heated seats in our JSW.
The version we saw at the auto show had leather seats. looked great, but the entertainment system was still on the not-quite-intuitive side, which has always plagued Honda's in my opinion. And the frame seems to sit pretty low, for an old guy like me. Gas mileage looked promising, and the drivers seat/cabin design was nice.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2017-honda-civic-hatchback-official-photos-and-info-news

zoomydu

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
The version we saw at the auto show had leather seats.
Leather AND manual? 'Cause I'm not seeing that on their build options. I've read some articles bemoaning Honda doing what so many companies do -- only making manuals available on lower-end packaging.

Definitely going to look into Katzkin options. $1200 doesn't seem unreasonable.

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
I don't know why more companies don't go vinyl like VW (leatherette) . Cheap and easy to clean and stay looking new forever. If you have kids or dogs you don't want cloth seats.

bring

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta SEL, DSG
I don't know why more companies don't go vinyl like VW (leatherette) . Cheap and easy to clean and stay looking new forever. If you have kids or dogs you don't want cloth seats.

More and more upscale brands are finding folks don't want to pay extra for leather when the pleather looks and feels almost the same.

Edit - the names they come up with are amusing because they try to make it not sound like vinyl. Mercedes calls it MB-Tex for example, and it is standard on their E Class

Last edited:

MHC48

TDI
2009 TDI DSG
I love the VW leatherette (and the MB-Tex I had long ago in a 190C). Better and more stain resistant than the leather in my BMW xit wagon. None of them have ever cracked on me or seem to get or look old.

Tenebrae

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW Jetta TDI Premium with Nav TURNED IN 03/10/2017
I love the VW leatherette (and the MB-Tex I had long ago in a 190C). Better and more stain resistant than the leather in my BMW xit wagon. None of them have ever cracked on me or seem to get or look old.
Same. I like the VW leatherette seats and I have tinted windows. This as well as regular detailing has helped keep the car like new.
Edited to add: NO cracking.

-T.

Last edited:

halfast3

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG
I hear that. Gotta have my heated seats! :D
-T.
Don't let it be a deal breaker if the car pleases otherwise. Heated seats are readilly available in the aftermarket. We negotiated having them installed in our CX-5 Touring for the dealer's cost of $495. List was $795.
Counterpoint on leatherette: We find it lacks breathe-ability, making it rather uncomfortable.

Last edited:

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
More and more upscale brands are finding folks don't want to pay extra for leather when the pleather looks and feels almost the same.

Edit - the names they come up with are amusing because they try to make it not sound like vinyl. Mercedes calls it MB-Tex for example, and it is standard on their E Class
BMW calls it Sensatec. I had a BMW rental of my car (2016 X3). I have real leather in my car but the rental had Sensatec. I would say the VW leatherette seats are far superior to the BMW Sensatec.

Tenebrae

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW Jetta TDI Premium with Nav TURNED IN 03/10/2017
Don't let it be a deal breaker if the car pleases otherwise. Heated seats are readilly available in the aftermarket. We negotiated having them installed in our CX-5 Touring for the dealer's cost of $495. List was $795.
That's good to know.
Hubby has mentioned that some cars come with the heated seat components already inside the seats...but just no switches on the console to turn them on/off! Isn't that crazy? He pointed out something about assembly line efficiency.
I think you posted about the Katzkin leather seats, too. Innnteresting options out there. I am just nervous about anything aftermarket (unlike my modding hubby).

-T.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Same. I like the VW leatherette seats and I have tinted windows. This as well as regular detailing has helped keep the car like new.
Edited to add: NO cracking.

-T.
If you're referring to your '14 it is practically new. I would hope it still looks that way.

FWIW the cloth on my '02 wagon and '99.5 Golf is still fine. But so is the M-B Tex in my '93 300D.

Fronts look the same.

Dub J

TDI
Jetta MK VI TDI Manual 6
Bmw

X 1 and I love it. Mothballing the TDI until I can dump it. I love my TDI too, what a shame. RIP VW.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
Short term, I got a replacement already. But longer term, I have $3000 in GM Card dollars burning a hole in my pocket, and at some point next year there will be a 2018 diesel Chevy Cruze hatchback. Looking into it now. There are crazy discounts on Cruze cars, and add $3000 to that, we are looking at something not much more than my TDi buyback.

oregon_rider

TDI
NONE! :-)
Short term, I got a replacement already. But longer term, I have $3000 in GM Card dollars burning a hole in my pocket, and at some point next year there will be a 2018 diesel Chevy Cruze hatchback. Looking into it now. There are crazy discounts on Cruze cars, and add $3000 to that, we are looking at something not much more than my TDi buyback.
Since VW is running me around in circles with my claim - I probably won't be able to sell back until mid late next year - who knows. By then, more options, like these, will be available to me as well. e.g. 2017-2018 chevy diesel cruze or chevy diesel equinox, etc. My previous thoughts were to give VW a shot at my business - but after running the tdi claims portal "hamster wheel" - they definitely aren't "earning my love"...

I will look at diesel cruze hatchback and the chevy equinox with the 1.6 liter diesel as well. I would normally shy away from a first model year car. But that motor, the 1.6 liter turbo diesel, has already been in use in europe for 2-3 years already...

I do hope they allow you to purchase the diesel option on lower trim levels - I usually prefer a mid level trim level and don't like to buy a full tilt car with leather interior etc.

On the previous diesel cruze - only offering diesel on highest trim level was a big mistake.

Who knows - mazda says they will have diesel available in u.s. at some point as well.

For options currently available on market - looking at mazda cx-5. My wife likes the golf - but wants something where she sits higher up and has better visibility. Looking at subaru forester as well - but reliability and build quality/fit & finish look sketchy.

jeff

Last edited:

alma

TDI
2013 Passat SE DSG
Chrysler will bring Alfa Romeo Giulia and the two-seater convertible Fiat 124 Spider to the States next year. Yummy!

toasters

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
I'm pretty set on getting an e-Golf right now. With all of the rebates, plus the crazy amount under invoice that these things are selling for, I can get one here in the bay area for around $45/month with $0 down for 30 months.

Seems like a win-win for me since my commute is only 7 miles round trip.

tebling

TDI
2012 Golf TDI Tech Pkg
I'm holding a Tesla Model 3 reservation. Who knows whether they'll be available in September '18, but I'll keep driving the TDI until then.

I'm pretty set on going to an EV, so next best option would be an e-Golf if they're still making them by then...

alma

TDI
2013 Passat SE DSG
My list of replacements for the TDI contains no boring electrical appliances. Besides the A4, we're considering the 3 series and the C300. We're in no hurry to replace our Passat, which has served us well (ODO at 46K).

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Suggestion: Go take a test drive of a Tesla Model S.

It'll redefine torque for you. "Electrical appliance" my ass.

alma

TDI
2013 Passat SE DSG

As I said, there's absolutely no desire to drive an appliance, Tesla S or any other model/brand. To each, their own.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
As I said, there's absolutely no desire to drive an appliance, Tesla S or any other model/brand. To each, their own.
I certainly still love an ICE but one could note.......things like washing machines and refrigerators once ran on them until it was discovered that electric works much better and much more efficiently.

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI
I like electrical appliances. We have several in our home. I don't know how we would preserve food, prepare meals, or wash and dry clothing without them.

But there is no way in hell I'll ever drive a refrigerator.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)

Neither any electrical appliance I've ever purchased, nor, I expect, my ass, would be priced anywhere near $135,000. Neither would any car I would ever buy, even if the price were cut in half. Two-thirds might catch my interest.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I have GM (General Motors (yes)) brand double door refrigerator purchased in 1976 in the garage as the place we put sodas and beer for storage.

Still running after all these years and one repair @$76 (thermostat). Now if the Volt and Bolt and other appliance cars can live this long with minimal downtime, I would be interested. :D

But no way in hell am I going to spend upwards of $100 K for a Tesla or any other electric car. Cost/benefit analysis says I would be nuts to do so.

alma

TDI
2013 Passat SE DSG
Neither any electrical appliance I've ever purchased, nor, I expect, my ass, would be priced anywhere near $135,000. Neither would any car I would ever buy, even if the price were cut in half. Two-thirds might catch my interest.

Exactly! For the price of that appliance one could get an X5 AND a 5 series, for example.