If you are considering buyback which cars are you looking at as replacements?

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
I think this is the situation; the dealer gets cars from the manufacturer configured in a certain way. The dealer has no real control over that - unless he is willing to wait weeks to get a car. So why should they kill themselves over trying to fill a "special order"? Most buyers will just pick based on paint color.

You are not dealing with expensive cars here that offer a multitude of choices. When I was looking at a BMW, the salesman told me he could get it any configuration I wanted. But BMWs are much more expensive than VWs or Mazdas.

mc4nam

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Dsg
Completely against my previous thoughts, I bought a 2016 GTI Autobahn with PP today. I will park my Passat until the buyback. I decided to see if the deals were really as good as I'm hearing. I drove the car and just fell in love...they wouldn't let me walk and stepped up to the plate with a killer price. Fantastic deal on an awesome little machine. Much tighter with the kids now, but my wife has an SUV, so we'll make it work.

I was talking with the sales manager after I closed the deal, and he said he doesn't expect any deep discounts or incentives with the buyback. Could be just a load of BS, but he said they view the buyback as pretty generous and will increase their showroom traffic tenfold anyway.
Mind sharing that killer price?

Lou E

TDI
2014 Sportwagen
anyone here driven the Bluetec GLK250? surprised to see CPO's with low miles priced in the high 20's.
My wife has one, it's a great car especially in the snow but I just can't get used to the low center console so I rarely drive it. The car feels very solid through all driving conditions and I would get one of my own but I just can't get comfortable driving it.

We have had it for a little over three years and it has about 60k miles, so far the only expenses have been regular maintenance.

Lochenjons

TDI
2013 VW Jetta
Screw it. 2016 Chevy SS. A little off from the Jetta but it is such a cool car. And FAST. And I've only seen one on the road so far.

ApriliaNut

Veteran Member
TDI
06 pkg 1 Jetta 191k w/Malone Stage 2
Completely against my previous thoughts, I bought a 2016 GTI Autobahn with PP today. I will park my Passat until the buyback. I decided to see if the deals were really as good as I'm hearing. I drove the car and just fell in love...they wouldn't let me walk and stepped up to the plate with a killer price. Fantastic deal on an awesome little machine. Much tighter with the kids now, but my wife has an SUV, so we'll make it work.

I was talking with the sales manager after I closed the deal, and he said he doesn't expect any deep discounts or incentives with the buyback. Could be just a load of BS, but he said they view the buyback as pretty generous and will increase their showroom traffic tenfold anyway.

ERR....in this case substitute "This Post" for "This Thread"....just sayin':rolleyes:

purduecrew

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat
The wife has tentatively agreed to a V2 or one of the new Chevy SS's. Said she doesn't care for a Touareg at this point...

:D

speedrye

Veteran Member
TDI
13 JSW DSG, 14 JSW DSG
Screw it. 2016 Chevy SS. A little off from the Jetta but it is such a cool car. And FAST. And I've only seen one on the road so far.
That's my plan as well, but I'm really tempted by an orange 17 SS, but I don't know if I want to lose that sleeper look. I might stick with a generic silver or white so that I'm not calling attention to myself. It'll probably come down to which cars have the best incentives though. I'm hoping they do a 2016 fire sale in the spring again or their 20% off promotion like they had in June.
Congrats!!

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
Originally Posted by bennybmn View Post
Baritone... in a big square case. And I'd rather not spend 500 on a molded plastic one. Plus I have a car seat in the back, so it can only fold the small side down. PLUS getting long narrow things (lumber) into a sedan with the seat down is fine. Getting long FAT things in isn't.

Just saw a Google picture of one...
:eek::eek:
That thing is huge :eek:

I can certainly see why a wagon is preferred :cool:
I'll try to remember to snap a pit of it in the trunk next time I put it in there.

phrinda

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI- bought back
But what if I want to stay in fantasy land? :(

In your experience which things tend to break when they aren't used regularly? I'm looking at one now that has averaged 7.3 miles per year over its lifetime.
Gaskets, fluid/grease seals. Normal items really. They just seemed to work better the more that they were used. I've been flying helicopters for years now so I haven't dealt with vehicles too much recently. I would just say to give it a thorough exam and if you get it, use it. The ones that broke down a lot were the ones that only had their engines turned over on Monday morning during weekly checks.

phrinda

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI- bought back
Them hummers are way to wide to wheel on a lot of trails.....
Yeah, by "trails" I mean the off road trails made in training areas by those vehicles and larger ones. I can see how they are probably too big for your typical trail.

halfast3

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG

ERR....in this case substitute "This Post" for "This Thread"....just sayin':rolleyes:
That's all well and good BUT we need to find a way to stop posting images so large that they mess with the function of the site. The chevy image above moves the window to twice the width of my monitor. :cool:
Lochenjons, can you please resize?

camper12

TDI
2011 Golf TDI, 2013 Passat SEL TDI
After a visit to the local Toyota dealer today, the Golf is going to be replaced with a 2016 Avalon Limited for the wife and I'll keep her Passat TDI. Will probably get it this or next week.

ltcjmramos

TDI
'12 Jetta SportWagen TDI DSG
Considered Mazda CX-5, Toyota RAV-4, Honda CR-X. Bought BMW 328d Sport Wagon. Sitting in the driveway next to the waiting-to-go-to back TDI.

dmanb2b

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2011 335D
2011 335d Artic White, 63k miles. The buyback offer on my '12 jetta is paying for the new to me car and about $2.5K in mods. Love my jetta, but the BMW is a whole diff level power.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
I am doing some homework on a BMW X5 AWD I6 3 liter diesel. Model year from 2011 to 2014.

Prefer to go CPO, with under 60K miles. Willing to travel to pick up a good deal, preferably from some locale where the miles are "easy", i.e., not Northern NJ or Long Island.

avid

TDI
2010 Jetta
VW GTI/R (waiting on special incentives)
BMW 320i/328d (wife loves the look of BMW)
Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit (Motorhomers who tow a Wrangler who could also tow a GC or use the GC to tow the Wrangler or a Stabicraft ocean fishing boat)

lvfnchs

Veteran Member
TDI
Buyback: Golf TDI 2011 / Now have Golf TDI 2015
I really love my 2011 Golf TDI. It's the best car I've ever had and driven. I always had Honda Civics in the past. It's paid off and all the service is up to date. With 140K miles on it, I'm leaning towards waiting as long as possible (2018) and then getting around $15K in buyback with around 200K miles on it. That is just too good an offer to refuse. I drive around 27K miles per year and live in CT so I need something that's good in the snow. Completely torn on what to get.

I would love to get the new, cheaper Tesla, but I'm concerned about charging stations. I just heard about Elio Motors, those cars seem pretty awesome! Has anyone heard about them? Supposed to be good in the snow and I think they're working on winter packages including heated seats, etc.

If not either of those, I'm really not sure. It doesn't make any sense to keep the car with 200K miles on it and lose the buyback option. It's very sad though because I really love this car! Whenever I have a rental or a loaner, I pine for my car. It's the best.

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, 2010 Jetta, 2011 Q7 Prestige, 2012 A3 Premium, 2013 A3 Premium Plus, 2014 Beetle, 2015 Jetta
I drove a new 4Runner Trail edition yesterday. Sluggish, somewhat underpowered, and all of 14 mpg for the test drive. And I drove like a friggin grandma.

But other than that it was kinda nice. I could do without the cartoonishly big a/c, radio and other control knobs....

278 lb-ft of torque....very underwhelming for a 4800 lb vehicle.

TDIAllen

TDI
2010 JSW DSG; 2016 Passat SE 1.8T
Passat, or Ford Escape

I've decided that I never want a sunroof again. The sun screen in my JSW has ripped and is an expensive fix (I seldom use it). My first choice is a Passat without a sunroof, but that is only offered on the S model and does not have some of the features that I want, especially the pass through rear seat. VW offered a Limited edition without a sun roof on the 2015 models, but that one is not available now. So VW will lose a sale.

My other choice is the Ford Escape with FWD. It has three trim levels and the sunroof is optional on them all and not included in any packages! It has a fairly flat load floor. I haven't driven one yet, but will soon.

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Does anyone know or have you heard if VW plans on offering some sort of special purchase option on new VW's? With so many people PO'd by this diesel scandal, many owners may take the buyback $$$ for their TDI and run, run far away from VW.

It would be in VW's best interest to keep some of us as customers. Think what would happen if every person took the buyback and none of them purchased another VW. Ouch!!!

I hope to see VW make an incredible offer on a new or certified used VW. Otherwise, Honda, here I come.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
How does the 328d feel compared to the VW TDI?
THAT'S what I want to know.

How has the 328d gone over with loyal BMW drivers? Is it well regarded, or is it looked down upon by Bimmer drivers?

Last edited:

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
Does anyone know or have you heard if VW plans on offering some sort of special purchase option on new VW's? With so many people PO'd by this diesel scandal, many owners may take the buyback $$$ for their TDI and run, run far away from VW.

It would be in VW's best interest to keep some of us as customers. Think what would happen if every person took the buyback and none of them purchased another VW. Ouch!!!

I hope to see VW make an incredible offer on a new or certified used VW. Otherwise, Honda, here I come.
But if VW doesn't make money on the sale, why would they care if you or I remain a customer or not? Parts sales for maintenance/repair after warranty wouldn't represent much profit. The prestige of having you or me as a customer couldn't mean much. To borrow a phrase, "It's all about the Benjamins."