If you are considering buyback which cars are you looking at as replacements?

n1acguy

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Passat TDI DSG SE/Sunroof
Is anyone driving / looking at a Mazda5?
Mazda stopped making them after 2015 I think.
I've decided, with 3 kids, to look a minivan/cuv with 3 rows if I can get one.
The Mazda5 Sport actually had a 5MT version.
Smallest car with 3 rows I've ever seen.
Should I get one of these used?
I had one as a rental.
Form over function IMO.
The Passat (and just about any other mid-sized sedan) has more practical space.

nattyboh2027

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I am so sick and tired of being patient with this! When its all said and done turning in my car and getting the buyback money, its boycott VW for life! VW makes this process so freaking complicated SMH

JCTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, Platinum Gray/Art Gray
I had one as a rental.
Form over function IMO.
The Passat (and just about any other mid-sized sedan) has more practical space.
Thanks for the feedback! (both of you)
Confirmed my misgivings after test driving a 2009 Sunday.

I'll be looking at used Kia Sedonas I guess.
I'm lost. I have no idea what to replace this 2009 JSW with.
Wish Tesla had built their minibus available.
Wish VW had never discontinued their minibus.
Oh wait, they had the Routan for a while, thanks to Chrysler.

If there's any smaller 3 row cars out there I'm missing, let me know.
Wonder why there aren't more wagons with a pop-up 3rd row?

What are the smaller CUVs with 3rd rows?

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Ford Transit Connect LWB is smaller than a minivan, and has a third row.

The wagons with a third row are typically rear-facing, which creates a perception of unsafety.

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
You almost have to PM the culprits directly. Apparently they post up images with smart phones. Maybe one of these days this site will be able to resize the large images automatically.
Or put them on your ignore list, refresh, and the offending pictures are gone and you no longer need a 48" monitor to read the text of all the other posts without having to scroll left and right.

J.R.

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Sportwagon TDI?
Thanks for the feedback! (both of you)
Confirmed my misgivings after test driving a 2009 Sunday.
I'll be looking at used Kia Sedonas I guess.
I'm lost. I have no idea what to replace this 2009 JSW with.
Wish Tesla had built their minibus available.
Wish VW had never discontinued their minibus.
Oh wait, they had the Routan for a while, thanks to Chrysler.
What are the smaller CUVs with 3rd rows?
https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourcei...which+vehicles+have+available+3rd+row+seating

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Ford Transit Connect LWB is smaller than a minivan, and has a third row.

The wagons with a third row are typically rear-facing, which creates a perception of unsafety.
Some of them from the 70s had seats that faced each other and could hold four additional kids in the back. My uncle had one of those and I don't remember if it had lapbelts back there. Yes, I beleive that safety was the main reason those rear seats disappeared.

mrsdean4

TDI
2015 Passat SEL
What are the smaller CUVs with 3rd rows?[/QUOTE]

I'm looking for something with a 3rd row as well. Right now, I'm considering a Kia Sorento.

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
Is anyone driving / looking at a Mazda5?
Mazda stopped making them after 2015 I think.
I've decided, with 3 kids, to look a minivan/cuv with 3 rows if I can get one.
The Mazda5 Sport actually had a 5MT version.
Smallest car with 3 rows I've ever seen.
Should I get one of these used?
A friend of mine loves hers... That said, I think the industry has marched on since they were designed. I agree, it's a shame. Sliding doors too! Very good egress.

CDubber

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta SportWagen TDI
Except for the Wheels, they did a pretty good job on the 2017 CR-V coming in December...IMO anyways.
It's just so...busy. That vertical crease on the rear quarter panel - ugh. The snout has too much going on as well. If they would just dial things back a bit they'd be fine, but they just can't seem to resist adding that one extra (and unnecessary) line or two.

CDubber

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta SportWagen TDI

Mercedes R-class?

You can get a CX5 with a diesel, AWD AND a stick elsewhere in the world. But here we get stuck with the base engine and FWD and no options :mad:
I'd be even happier if they had the Mazda 6 wagon ('Estate') here!
I'd be all over one of those like white on rice.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
You almost have to PM the culprits directly. Apparently they post up images with smart phones. Maybe one of these days this site will be able to resize the large images automatically.
Fixed. I just removed the IMG tags, so they're links now instead of embedded pictures.

rfortson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Surfwagen TDI
So, with owning solar, having owned 3 EV's, I can't believe I never heard of Mitsubishi's Outlander PHEV. Looks like it keeps getting delayed though, even though it's been released for some time in both Japan and in Europe. I find this a very likely candidate for us because:

- 32 mile EV only range (higher than most plug in hybrids except the Volt)
- Price range starting at just $32k

Only problem is having to wait until next summer IF it comes out as scheduled. This is the 5th time they have delayed the release date for US market.
I believe the 32 mile EV range is the EEU. measurement, meaning it will not realistic. It will probably wind up around the 18-20 miles that the e-tron gets as it's rated at 31 miles by the EEU.

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk

J.R.

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Sportwagon TDI?
I'd be all over one of those like white on rice.
Yup a 6 wagon with a stick would be my next car in heart beat if they had them here. Nothing else would even be close. Even more so if they offered it with the diesel.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
I picked one up too Lapis Blue. The 2.5L was fine a a short city test drive, but the 3.6 does exactly what I want on the highway, 60-90mph passing sprints. I really enjoy nearly everything except the seats!

..........and the reduced fuel numbers (with your Passat TDI in mind)...........

ez

n1acguy

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Passat TDI DSG SE/Sunroof
I don't want another conventional gas car.
I've driven all of the hybrid sedans except the Accord. Rear seats don't fold down on the Accord so it's not an option.
Malibu Hybrid has the best drivability of them all.

Moonrocket

TDI
JSW
I'm new here but am still trying to decide a replacement for my 2013 JSW.

I was curious people's thoughts on the 2017 CRV announcement and what thoughts are about a 1.5l motor which seems small. I commute over a 11k ft pass and so am leaning towards a turbo to reduce altitude power loss.

I need to haul a family of 3 with 2 labs and will be glad to have more clearance to avoid detouring around train tracks I don't have clearance for in the winter.

I was leaning towards an outback 3.6r or highlander prior to this announcement- but it's painful to drop to the mileage of those cars.

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Yup a 6 wagon with a stick would be my next car in heart beat if they had them here. Nothing else would even be close. Even more so if they offered it with the diesel.
check Mazda's Denmark site, they sell both diesel and manual transmission 6 wagons. Wouldn't that be sweet? We get screwed in North America...

mydecember1985

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW 6MT ;2011 JSW (buy-back May 2017)
Yup. Just like we get the "dumbed-down" versions of Hondas and Nissans, too. The 08-12 Accord in China is basically an Acura TSX. The American Infiniti I35 is a Nissan Maxima/Cefiro in Asia. Cus heaven forbid we walk onto a Toyota dealership and see a $19,000 Camry SE parked next to a $45,000 Lexus ES350 (Same friggin car with tonss more features... and it's a *Lexus* woooowwww) :rolleyes:. That would be downright offensive her in 'murica!

P.S. I'd be running to Mazda tomorrow if they had the 6 wagon here. Asking MSRP? Sure!

Diesel? :eek: I'd be making it rain on the salesman's desk. :cool:

P.P.S. I did stop by the Kia dealership and check out the Niro demo they have. Neat little car, but materials are slightly cheap-feeling and several reviews online point out the rather clunky transition from EV to gas motor. Seating position is more sedan-wagonish, but looks are SUV-ish. Very nice trim/accent pieces. Lots of brushed stainless. Pedals, foot rest, kick plates, bumper guards, and door panel switches. Added a nice touch to take away from the excessive hard plastics. Couldn't test drive, as it's a demo-only, but wasn't thoroughly impressed. I can pick up a 2016 CPO Mazda6 GT for $5k+ less and have a helluva better experience. So what if I drop from 45 to 38ish hwy MPG? Interior is way better and it's just more fun in general. I read a great review from the UK, where it's already available. Over there, it's absolutely nothing spectacular. They already have diesel wagons/hatches with more power and competitive (if not better) fuel economy. It may put a small damper on Prius sales here in the US, but I won't be there at the lot waiting for delivery like I would be a Mazda6 wagon. I would sleep on the lot if it was a diesel.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I'm new here but am still trying to decide a replacement for my 2013 JSW.

I was curious people's thoughts on the 2017 CRV announcement and what thoughts are about a 1.5l motor which seems small. I commute over a 11k ft pass and so am leaning towards a turbo to reduce altitude power loss.

I need to haul a family of 3 with 2 labs and will be glad to have more clearance to avoid detouring around train tracks I don't have clearance for in the winter.

I was leaning towards an outback 3.6r or highlander prior to this announcement- but it's painful to drop to the mileage of those cars.
Is that 1.5l turbo charged? If not, that could be quite a dog. I had an 07 with the 4 cyl. For most of my driving it was fine but get into some elevation and it was under powered. I had friends in Denver looking at one and I told them to look at the Acura RDX instead. It came with the 6 cyl and should have more than enough power for their needs. I think they went with a pathfinder instead. It was a better fit for their weekend adventures.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
It's a 190 HP 1.5 turbo. Base model should be a 185ish HP 2.4.

With that heavily stressed of a turbo motor, I'm expecting the real world efficiency for the 1.5 to not be good.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I would at least test drive the RAV4 Hybrid if you are looking at a CRV.
I've not cared for the RAV4 (rentals) interior as well as the CR-V, but don't know for sure how the top trims balance out on either of them. What's interesting is that the are rated for the same highway mileage (31 mpg) but the RAV4 hybrid is rated at 34 mpg for city, which puts it about 9 mpg better than the Honda. Pricing on the very top trims is the same. Might come down to which dealer would you rather put up with?