If you are considering buyback which cars are you looking at as replacements?

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
We test drove the Subaru Outback Limited and the VW All track today. Wife didn't like Outback said it had poor handling and acceleration. All Track has no discounts from the dealer so that is out as well for now. She like the All Track.

dmcdon2851

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium
The Mazda 6 GT currently tops of my favorites list.
Assuming you bouight it, would you mind sharing the price and options details?
If you coud break it down to minus the tint, taxes, license and title, that would be fantastic.
No problem. $29,885 (sticker $31,830) including the $300 premium for Soul Red exterior.

Naturally, add state sales tax, $18 title & temp tag fee and $200 documentation fee (rip off). They insisted the $200 appear on the sales document but I got them to bring down the price by the same $200 so it was a wash. Best deal possible? Probably not but...........

It has everything but the napa package (grand Touring Premium).

Real leather seats and trim in parchment (white)
19" dark silver wheels
moonroof
rear spoiler
LED lights all around and inside
heads up display
steering wheel paddle sifters
auto dimming side and rear mirrors (also both heated)
8 way drivers adjustable and 6 way adjustable passenger heated seats
BOSE Surround sound system with 11 speakers and woofer
Smart City Brake Support
Lane departure warning (actually very annoying but can be turned off)
Lane keep assist
Traffic sign recognition (also annoying but can be turned off)
Mazda radar cruise control with close proximity warning
Dual-zone automatic climate control
Mazda Advanced Keyless Entry
Navigation system
Infotainment system voice command
HD Radio™
Aha™ internet radio integration
Pandora® internet radio integration
Stitcher™ internet radio integration
Radio Broadcast Data System program information
SMS text message audio delivery and reply
Rearview camera
Rear seat heat and A/C vents
Illuminated dual vanity mirrors
Blind Spot Monitoring System
Rear Cross Traffic Alert
LED combination taillights
Power side mirrors with integrated turn signals
Power door locks and Power windows with one-touch auto up/down feature
60/40 split fold-down rear seatback
Carpet floor mats
Tilt & telescopic steering column
Steering wheel-mounted audio, phone and cruise controls
Bluetooth®5 hands-free phone and audio streaming
Cruise control - adaptive - it slows if you approach a car in front
Auxiliary input jack and USB port
Push button start
Electronic parking brake
Advanced front air bags, front seat-mounted side-impact air bags and side-impact air curtains
Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) & Traction Control System (TCS)

Handles like a dream, especially with the new system that adjusts torque in turns. Only downside is the suspension is a little stiffer than I was used to on the Passat. The new glass on the 2017 Mazda's makes them very quiet and very little road noise enters the cabin now.
:)

Last edited:

dmcdon2851

Veteran Member
TDI
The Mazda 6 GT currently tops of my favorites list.
Assuming you bouight it, would you mind sharing the price and options details?
If you coud break it down to minus the tint, taxes, license and title, that would be fantastic.
I had the tint done after market by a customizer in our area. $399 for rear and sides. Left windshield stock. Got the darkest (15%) as Ohio allows it if you have an affidavit from your doctor stating you have had melanoma and need it for health maintenance.

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
In Europe they have a Golf Wagon that can do 0 to 62 in 5.1 seconds. They have a Passat Wagon as well and a new Tiguan and a much nicer Passat. Why cant we have nice things in the US?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
According to VW, we only want big bloated SUVS for which to haul our fat butts. ��

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
Couldn't wait.

Found a hot deal on a high mpg VW and pulled the trigger on it. Lovin it. Kinda retro yet very earth friendly.

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
.....The new glass on the 2017 Mazda's makes them very quiet and very little road noise enters the cabin now.
Did you own a different Mazda before this one to compare the road noise to? I've had a M3 for nine years, and the road noise is what currently would keep me from purchasing another Mazda (that and pretty lousy mi,eager for a four cylinder).
I'm surprised the glass would have more to do with it than insulation, but any improvement would be a good...

dmcdon2851

Veteran Member
TDI
Did you own a different Mazda before this one to compare the road noise to? I've had a M3 for nine years, and the road noise is what currently would keep me from purchasing another Mazda (that and pretty lousy mi,eager for a four cylinder).
I'm surprised the glass would have more to do with it than insulation, but any improvement would be a good...
On the 17's it is a combination. The heavier laminated glass combined with more sound insulation in the headliner, doors etc. This is my first Mazda, but I drove my son's 2012 Mazda3 quite a bit. The difference in sound is very noticeable.

Last edited:

dmcdon2851

Veteran Member
TDI
This excerpt from Car&Driver may help you with the sound issue.

"Using improved door seals, tighter tolerance between panels and sound insulation materials added to the underbody, rear console, headliner and doors, the aim for Mazda6 was to outclass common midsize-segment cars with its attractive design and establish a unique “Mazda Premium” positioning. Further improvements include thicker front glass to block wind noise, and Grand Touring models receive laminated front side windows.":D

speedrye

Veteran Member
TDI
13 JSW DSG, 14 JSW DSG
Handles like a dream, especially with the new system that adjusts torque in turns. Only downside is the suspension is a little stiffer than I was used to on the Passat. The new glass on the 2017 Mazda's makes them very quiet and very little road noise enters the cabin now.
I swapped the 19's on my 6 GT with aftermarket 17's (w/ much better tires) and the handling was MUCH better than stock. The ride was certainly better/quieter too with the thicker sidewalls. The 19's looked a little better, but the performance gain was well worth it. Losing 10+ pounds at each corner also gave a noticeable crispness to the acceleration that the car didn't have before. If the GT came with a manual, I would've never gotten rid of it. Add an aftermarket tune and I would've been a happy camper.

MrSprdSheet

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW TDI
Seeing many AllTracks on trailers, as if VW working to have them at buyback time. WRT Mazda, it was buzzy 4cyl that I thought intruded most, on a ~2015 rental. Weak and/or loud 4's are an easy mistake.

ottomatic

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golfwagen SE 6MT
Lately I have been thinking of buying an ALL Track.
Then buying a wrecked low mile TDI an swapping drive train.
My son has a shop & does conversions & builds rock crawlers. He just put a 12 valve Cummins in a Land Cruiser.

Last edited:

Tfuce

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI
I traded in my 3 series ('01 new - had it 15 yrs) for my TDI. Best car I ever owned. Miss driving it. Don't miss paying for fixes there at the end though
This. Love the e46. Drove one for 15 years (a 2001) and am now on number 2, a 2002 (month 3). You definitely need a good indie mechanic to keep it financially viable but awesome drivers and very reliable.

Check out the 3 series GT - the space of an SUV but drives much closer to a 3 series. I'm on month 1 of that one.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
I just took a look at truecar.com, and see the Alltrack is on it. In my area, around 3% ABOVE MSRP.

avid

TDI
2010 Jetta
I have pretty much narrowed it down to the Chevy Volt. I am really going to miss the diesel wagon but fuel efficiency is my priority. I have a huge commute that a 200+ mile ev would work but a Tesla is not in my budget. ]
Why not buy the Chevy Bolt then?

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
Why not buy the Chevy Bolt then?
A 200+ mile commute with a 200+ mile published range vehicle? Unless he can recharge at work, that's daily range anxiety.

avid

TDI
2010 Jetta
A 200+ mile commute with a 200+ mile published range vehicle? Unless he can recharge at work, that's daily range anxiety.
The range I see listed is 238 miles? Doesn't that beat or nearly tie all but the most expensive of the current Tmobiles?

halfast3

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG
I swapped the 19's on my 6 GT with aftermarket 17's (w/ much better tires) and the handling was MUCH better than stock. The ride was certainly better/quieter too with the thicker sidewalls. The 19's looked a little better, but the performance gain was well worth it. Losing 10+ pounds at each corner also gave a noticeable crispness to the acceleration that the car didn't have before. If the GT came with a manual, I would've never gotten rid of it. Add an aftermarket tune and I would've been a happy camper.
We're considering the same option. What wheels and tires did you choose? Photos?

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
In the time that the VW ID may come out, the range of the Bolt may be increased, as has been done with the Volt.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Does the Avalon hybrid have auto engine stop/start? I was behind one at a traffic light this morning and when the light changed the trunk lid shook. Wondered if it was the engine starting. If so, nice feature.
It does, but the engine won't start when you release the brake like most conventional non-hybrids with start/stop. It will take off from a light on electric power and then engage the engine if/when necessary. The whole process is very smooth, and should be barely detectable by the driver.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Agreed. He'd be fine in the summer time, but winter would be another matter. Definitely choose the heat pump instead of resistance heating if it's an option (not sure if option or standard equipment on all Bolt trims).

We'll know soon enough how the Bolt performs in cold weather conditions, since it's expected to get released in November. :eek:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
It does, but the engine won't start when you release the brake like most conventional non-hybrids with start/stop. It will take off from a light on electric power and then engage the engine if/when necessary. The whole process is very smooth, and should be barely detectable by the driver.
Well this one may not have been detectable to the driver, but it was to me in the car behind him. Made me smile because I've read lots of complaints about start/stop on various cars. Apparently some do it well, others not so much.

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
There's nothing out there that does what this sportwagen does for my family. No other vehicle delivers the performance, features, FE, ride quality, interior space- all in one small vehicle.

KEEPING THE TDI, and bought a truck this weekend. Used Ram '03 quad-cab SLT with Cummins 5.9L engine. NO DPF, NO DEF Amarok would have been much more expensive. Frankly, glad I never had a chance to buy one.

Was considering accepting the buyback and getting a truck. But then realized there was NO WAY I am going to give up the Sportwagen... I will sell my '83 Toyota 4x4 instead. This 6-cyl Turbo Diesel truck has some aftermarket work that helps FE, and it gets about the same mileage as my old Toyota, but now makes near 600 lb-ft torque and still capable of 18-19 city,and 22-24mpg hwy. Short-shifter, CTS Edge monitor (can add gauges), AFE intake manifold, color-match Leer topper, dark tint windows, and much more.

I will have the JSW for commutes and some long trips, and the truck for crossing Kansas with the family, hauling equipment to the ranch on a trailer at the same time. I've been considering this for years.

So what about the fix, and restitution? If it involves a bunch of new construction on the JSW to get the restitution, I'll turn it down anyway.

There is a vehicle that does all the things your Sportwagon does. It is BMW 3 series wagon diesel. Problem is it is 50k.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
There is a vehicle that does all the things your Sportwagon does. It is BMW 3 series wagon diesel. Problem is it is 50k.
No, it doesn't. First, it's not available with a manual transmission or FWD only. Second, reports here are that the cargo area is significantly smaller, and that the driver has less room (I can vouch for this, I've sat in one). Couple that with the run-flat tires and no spare and cost of purchase and maintenance, and there's really no comparison.

I'd really like to like the 3-Series wagon, but I just can't get there. Too much money for more complexity than I want. And mixed reviews on NVH and performance. As Car & Driver says, they've packaged and priced this car as if they didn't want to sell it.

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
No, it doesn't. First, it's not available with a manual transmission or FWD only. Second, reports here are that the cargo area is significantly smaller, and that the driver has less room (I can vouch for this, I've sat in one). Couple that with the run-flat tires and no spare and cost of purchase and maintenance, and there's really no comparison.
I'd really like to like the 3-Series wagon, but I just can't get there. Too much money for more complexity than I want. And mixed reviews on NVH and performance. As Car & Driver says, they've packaged and priced this car as if they didn't want to sell it.
great points all around - seems like they're tacking on $10-12k just for the badge. i briefly flirted with a 328d wagon, but the A3 sportback actually has more of what i want for considerably less $.
plus, i once sarcastically attached a BMW keychain to my Chevy Lumina key, so i probably would've been struck dead had i bought one!

ronsig

TDI
Golf TDI Wagon 2011 6 speed
I am looking at Prius V.....I note it is slow accelerating, but mileage looks good and there is even more room in it with seats down than in my SportWagen. Comments?

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
Why would you prefer front wheel drive? Rear wheel and all wheel drive are both superior. Run flat tires are superior too. If you get a 2016 you will have four years of free maintaince including brakes.

The 3 series wagon is superior to the Jetta Wagon in every way. We have a Sport Wagon and X3 and the X3 can do the same curves at 10mph faster than sport wagon. The 3 series wagon would do it 15 mph faster. Better handling, better acceleration, heated steering wheel Xenon headlights. Ability to store 20gbs of music on hard drive. Real leather. Better Nav unit. Quieter.

Reason I choose the X3 over 3 series wagon is each dealer only seems to have one and hard to find one with the options you want with ordering one. X3 I had exactly what I wanted and 6500 off msrp.