If you are considering buyback which cars are you looking at as replacements?

halfast3

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG
I don't believe so. The battery sits over the rear axle, under the rear seats. I've compared my e-tron to a co-worker's gas A3 Sportback and cargo area looks the same to me. There's no obvious difference, like there is in a Volt or other purely EV car.
I don't have the numbers to do a direct comparison, I'm just talking about the eyeball test.
Yeah, I'll agree with this. Two car seats and a stroller probably wouldn't fit. The two car seats should, but you'd have to tow the stroller along behind. :)
Trunk capacity of the Golf (and Audi A3?) has been shrinking.
We drove our '01 TDI to MN and bought our '11 TDI there.
The luggage from our '01 wouldn't all fit in the '11 trunk. :0/
The mk VII GTI trunk looks to be even smaller. :(

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I had a '12 Golf for three plus years and recently started driving a '99.5 Golf. The cargo area in the '99.5 is larger and the floor is lower. Much better than the '12. And I recall the MKVI is smaller than the '12.

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
Just test drove an Alltrack at lunch. Pretty nice ride! CD slot and TWO SD card slots in the glove compartment, that was a nice find. I kind of liked the extra height, made getting in and out just a touch easier. The salesman and sales manager didn't know when they would be shipping 6MT models, does anyone else have insider info? Really nice folks at Atlantic VW in Islip if anyone on the island is in the market...

rfortson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Surfwagen TDI
Trunk capacity of the Golf (and Audi A3?) has been shrinking.
We drove our '01 TDI to MN and bought our '11 TDI there.
The luggage from our '01 wouldn't all fit in the '11 trunk. :0/
The mk VII GTI trunk looks to be even smaller. :(
I'll take your word for it as I don't have those earlier vehicles to compare to. My larger point was that the e-tron doesn't have a cargo penalty just because it's a plug-in hybrid. In other words, the battery isn't really stealing cargo space.

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
I don't believe so. The battery sits over the rear axle, under the rear seats. I've compared my e-tron to a co-worker's gas A3 Sportback and cargo area looks the same to me. There's no obvious difference, like there is in a Volt or other purely EV car.

I don't have the numbers to do a direct comparison, I'm just talking about the eyeball test.

Yeah, I'll agree with this. Two car seats and a stroller probably wouldn't fit. The two car seats should, but you'd have to tow the stroller along behind. :)

hmm, we managed just fine in the Golf with 2 kids(now in boosters) on road trips - maybe i'm just a superior luggage packer?:p

but hey, i'm actually glad to not see sport backs all over the road - feels a bit more unique than a JSW, etc... plus, i can parallel park the A3 easily anywhere we go.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Does the Avalon hybrid have auto engine stop/start? I was behind one at a traffic light this morning and when the light changed the trunk lid shook. Wondered if it was the engine starting. If so, nice feature.
It'll actually kill the engine in motion in some scenarios. (I'd guess that the Avalon can only do it below ~45ish MPH, but it'd depend on gear ratios and motor speed ratings.) Often, the engine will be off well before you've actually come to a stop.

If a Toyota hybrid other than a first-gen Prius is running at a stop, one of three things is going on:

1. The coolant temperature is too low for the requested cabin temperature setting, and the engine is running to heat the coolant
  2. It's warming up the cat (happens the first time the engine has to start up, after it's been cold)
  3. The battery was depleted, and it's recharging (usually this only happens due to HVAC loads, but I have seen where acceleration depletes it, and it keeps running after you come to a stop, for a little while)

If it's a first-gen Prius, the fourth possibility is that the AC could be on - the AC compressor is belt-driven off of the engine.

Last edited:

CT_White_SRT

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL
We managed as well.

2 kids in the big car seats. Usually 1 stroller. My golf clubs. A pack and play and our stuff for a week when travelling to Canada.

With enough room to stop and get 2 cases of beer at duty free. I am not a small guy either. 6'4 270.

I put on the roof rack rails in case we ever wanted to put the Thule box on top but never needed to. The rack rails were good for the kayaks though.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
I drove it home today!! The 2013 CPO BMW X5 xDrive 35d. That 425 lb ft of torque move that big boy nicely.

Last edited:

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
A 2013 with 29.000 miles on the Odometer was CPO for significantly less than a new Golf R, which some are talking about here. Plus, its a 265hp, 425 lb ft of torque 6 cylinder twin turbo diesel.

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Mine too. I know that feel bro. We were born on the wrong continent.
You can get a CX5 with a diesel, AWD AND a stick elsewhere in the world. But here we get stuck with the base engine and FWD and no options :mad:
I'd be even happier if they had the Mazda 6 wagon ('Estate') here!
I saw one of these in Iceland last month. It's even better looking in person :(

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Thanks! Had not heard of this one. Worth a look when they bring this to the States.
I'm getting ready to take a day off from work and just visit some dealers.
I really hate car shopping though so I want to narrow it down to a few models first, but this has to be one of them.
They already have the Niro for showroom investigation here in Southern California. They're Euro models, as the AC Jack in the back is a euro plug.
They told me there should be a hybrid version, and, a paddle-shifting trip-tonic auto six speed may also be an option. Can't wait till the final North American versions arrive, hopefully this quarter.

As far as mileage estimates, the least expensive thing in a cars operation for me personally is the cost of fuel per mile. That seven year Kia warranty is interesting though, and our local dealer says they can extend it to ten.
Other than the new, Infiniti crossover (SX20?), this was the most comfortable, well made interior we sampled at the auto show. And that included the much more expensive RAV4 hybrid, which was actually a little boring on the inside.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
IIRC, the Kia Niro is a dedicated hybrid model, so there won't be a non-hybrid version AFAIK.

bring

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta SEL, DSG
I drove it home today!! The 2013 CPO BMW xDrive 35d. That 425 lb ft of torque move that big boy nicely.

Just an fyi - no such car exists

xdrive simply means awd - it is an option on most of their cars
35d signifies diesel engine

So you are basically saying you bought an AWD Diesel BMW - they have a few models with this configuration

The pic you later submitted is an X5 - that is the model you own

Edit - and might I add, congratulations, that is an awesome car

Last edited:

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
Bring, thank you for bringing my oversight to my attention. Just corrected it.

Yes, so far so good. The fact that I have 3 years and 70,000 miles of remaining CPO warranty helps in deciding if it will be a long term keeper.

derekmw

TDI
2010 Audi A3 TDI Premium, 2015 Tesla Model S 70
Is that the same engine as the 335d? I really wanted to get a 335d as a replacement but it seems too many issues with carbon buildup. People said one way to avoid it is to drive like you stole it...but in my opinion, negates the point of getting a fuel efficient car if you have to always floor it.

Also people have said how even with warranty, BMW tries to deny warranty coverage on the CBU (since you have to keep coming back for them to clean it out). I'm really bummed as it seemed like a good replacement.

I wonder if the 328d is going to have the same issues. If so, it's not worth the headaches for me.

Got Haggis?

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf DSG
I test drove 3 cars today - GTI Sport, Civic Hatchback EX, and a Crosstrek. The Crosstrek was awful, no way would I ever consider that. Obviously the king was the GTI - it was so much to fun and feels quite a bit like the Golf TDI I already own. I liked the Civic Hatchback, it wasn't really a "fun" car to drive, but it handled well and wasn't completely terrible like the Crosstrek. I've only ever owned VW's - so some of my gripes with the Civic are probably due to that...for example the all digital display...I prefer the VW buttons + switches + gauges, etc.

I still need to test drive the Mazda 3. If I could get a good deal on the GTI it would probably be a no brainer....but the salesmen in the car with me claimed that VW is not allowed to offer any incentives to stick with VW as terms of the buyback..sounds fishy to me, but who knows

andrewctdi

TDI
2011 Golf TDI. '16 GTI PP
Picked up a new 2016 GTI Autobahn with lighting, DCC and PP options about a month ago. Who knows when the buyback is actually going to start. I'm going to keep my 2011 TDI Golf for probably another year.

bring

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta SEL, DSG
Is that the same engine as the 335d? I really wanted to get a 335d as a replacement but it seems too many issues with carbon buildup. People said one way to avoid it is to drive like you stole it...but in my opinion, negates the point of getting a fuel efficient car if you have to always floor it.

Also people have said how even with warranty, BMW tries to deny warranty coverage on the CBU (since you have to keep coming back for them to clean it out). I'm really bummed as it seemed like a good replacement.

I wonder if the 328d is going to have the same issues. If so, it's not worth the headaches for me.

I owned a BMW for 15 years and loved it. However, you have to be prepared for steep maintenance bills down the road. Their engineering is A+ without question. Reliability? Not their #1 priority. I'm always against purchasing extended warranties because I consider them a waste of $, but with BMW it might not be such a horrible idea.

I had an independent shop work on it as soon as it came off warranty. They specialized in European cars. A few years back I noticed they started working on Lexus as well. I asked the owner what kind of problems he sees on the Lexus. His answer was, nothing, they never break. He only does oil changes and things that wear on them. Mercedes, BMW, Audi, and VW fixes paid the bills.

Last edited:

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, it is the same engine as was in the 335d, but in the x5, it is hauling around over 5000 pounds of vehicle. So, you have to push the throttle harder, the engine works harder, and as a result, as far as the engine is concerned, you are "driving it like you stole it". In thie 2013 with two sequential turbos, its rated 19 mpg city, 26 highway. That's about 10 mpg less than the highway rating of the 335d.

From 2014 to present, they went to a single turbo with variable vane technology. That lowered the power output to 255 hp and 413 lb ft, And the EPA highway number went up to 31.

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI
2x 2013 JSW (1 manual BOUGHT BACK 12/20/16, 1 DSG BOUGHT BACK 1/14/17), Audi A3 e-tron gas-plugin-hybrid, gas Volvo V60
I still need to test drive the Mazda 3. If I could get a good deal on the GTI it would probably be a no brainer....but the salesmen in the car with me claimed that VW is not allowed to offer any incentives to stick with VW as terms of the buyback..sounds fishy to me, but who knows
VW cannot offer incentives to take the buyback over the fix or to take the fix over the buyback. They can offer incentives to ALL TDI owners, regardless if they take the buyback, the fix, or do nothing.

halfast3

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG
2017 Mazda-6 Grand Touring with 15% Tinted windows (not front shield - that is 50%) added on. Love it!!
The Mazda 6 GT currently tops of my favorites list.
Assuming you bought it, would you mind sharing the price and options details?
If you coud break it down to minus the tint, taxes, license and title, that would be fantastic.

Last edited:

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT; Black uni, Cornsilk
Picked up a new 2016 GTI Autobahn with lighting, DCC and PP options about a month ago. Who knows when the buyback is actually going to start. I'm going to keep my 2011 TDI Golf for probably another year.
How do you like is so far? I'm looking at these too.

What's your favorite option?