If you are considering buyback which cars are you looking at as replacements?

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
I often suspect that the reason so few cars are offered with MT is that American companies decided to dumb things down as SUVs and minivans became popular...and eventually people quit fighting to find a manual. Then when it came time for their offspring to learn to drive, automatic was the only readily available transmission to learn on. It's no wonder the # of people able to drive manual is shrinking. .
Nailed it. Add to that the number of people who just plain couldn't find what they want and settle (manufacturer stopped making it, regional availability or whatever), or the people who compromise for a spouse, and the number goes way down. Then the dealers stop stocking them because it's a numbers game for them (understandably), and that just feeds the availability/settling statistic.

eBay! Search for "heated seat kit" I'm running the basic two-seat setup with the little round buttons and have been very happy for the past few years with them in the FJ. I picked up another kit a few years ago and never used it, so now I'm seriously considering heating the rear seats in the next car for the dog. I'd say for the kid(s), but honestly, they've got to ride in car seats and booster seats until they're 25 or some crap, so they'd never get to enjoy them anyway...
Thanks!! I'll definitely look into it.

I agree about the stick SUV thing too, I was really bummed when Toyota stopped making a 4runner with a stick. Hence why I've looked at Jeeps too. Just so pricey nowadays...

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
While I will always choose a manual transmission option if I can get it in a particular vehicle, driving diesel vehicles for the past 14.5 years has changed my priorities some. I've warmed up to automatics a little because of the diesel's torque characteristics and efficiency. Back when I was driving gassers years ago, whatever I owned and drove HAD to have a manual transmission. Absolutely no exceptions. I hated driving any gasser with an automatic of any kind. My 3 TDIs owned from 2002 until 2014 were all manuals. My BMW diesels are both automatics and I happen to like them. I've found the 8-speed automatic in my 535d (F10) to be one automatic that I really DO like. It is a traditional torque converter and planetary setup, not a DSG or any kind of CVT. My X5 35d (E70) has a 6 speed automatic, also a TC and planetary setup.

Since owning and driving diesel vehicles and will own only diesel vehicles in the future, my priorities have changed some when it comes to transmission choices. I will always prefer a manual transmission but if I were faced with having to choose between a gasser manual or a diesel automatic, I'll take the diesel automatic. Whatever I own and drive HAS to be diesel, first and foremost. A gasser is not an option at all. VW not returning with TDIs simply means I'm not returning to VW as a customer.

Have fun! :)

Last edited:

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Where did you get them? Mazda is a little weird with their option packaging, and I may not be able to get them on a 6 with a stick...
I wanted a Mazda 3 hatchback with a 2.5 NO sunroof and manual transmission. "nope, they don't have that optioned that way" the salesman told me. They only come with a sunroof that kills headroom.

Stuck with a vw. They still know how to build cars for taller people :D

speedrye

Veteran Member
TDI
13 JSW DSG, 14 JSW DSG
From what I've seen you can't get a 6 grand touring with a manual, period. That could be a '16 thing, not sure, but I think that's that.
It was the same way on my 15 GT. While the automatic in that car was great, I was bored to death driving it.

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
It was the same way on my 15 GT. While the automatic in that car was great, I was bored to death driving it.
Real leather would be nice I guess, but what else does the GT get you over the touring? Honestly I like how my jetta is configured. Sunroof, no power seat cause frankly I don't need it, satellite, nav (again I rarely use it but I guess it's nice), and bluetooth. Add the backup cam and that's how I'd love a 6, but I want to say you can't get the satellite radio/sunroof with the stick... not sure where I heard that.

speedrye

Veteran Member
TDI
13 JSW DSG, 14 JSW DSG
Real leather would be nice I guess, but what else does the GT get you over the touring? Honestly I like how my jetta is configured. Sunroof, no power seat cause frankly I don't need it, satellite, nav (again I rarely use it but I guess it's nice), and bluetooth. Add the backup cam and that's how I'd love a 6, but I want to say you can't get the satellite radio/sunroof with the stick... not sure where I heard that.
I had the Tech package in mine and that was my first experience with all of these driving nannies and "safety" features. Honesty, the radar cruise control was pretty cool, and I really liked the cross traffic detection when backing up out of a parking space flanked by SUVs. The HIDs that turned with the road when driving were pretty nice too, especially since they use one of the best HID projectors made. Too bad they went with the inferior LED headlights.

zoomydu

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
From what I've seen you can't get a 6 grand touring with a manual, period. That could be a '16 thing, not sure, but I think that's that.
The GT has always been available a manual, AFAIK. It's the 2.5 Touring (or maybe they were calling it the S touring, but it's the 2.5 engine) that wasn't available as a manual in '16. Now it's the 2.0 Touring that's not available as manual. All other Mazda 3s still offer the manual option.

halfast3

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG
I had the Tech package in mine and that was my first experience with all of these driving nannies and "safety" features. Honesty, the radar cruise control was pretty cool, and I really liked the cross traffic detection when backing up out of a parking space flanked by SUVs. The HIDs that turned with the road when driving were pretty nice too, especially since they use one of the best HID projectors made. Too bad they went with the inferior LED headlights.
Counterpoint (assuming you're talking about Mazda)
We have HIDs in both our 2011 Golf TDI and our 2015 Mazda CX-5 Touring. The Golf's headlights are waaayyy better than the CX-5s!
The Mazda's high beams are cut off too much on the top so you lose illumination when approaching a hill. Most unnerving in deer country! Also, not sure if it's the same with the sedans but on our CX-5, only the inboard light turns with the steering.
I have yet to drive a car with LEDs. What is it you don't like?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The current killer for manual transmission cars is that in the past few years (I don't know exactly when) the EPA has required manuals be certified separately from automatics. This, in combination with the increased difficulty of making manual cars meet emissions standards, and the small percentage of manuals sold in most brands, cause most manufacturers to abandon them. Not worth the expense of certifying them. They appear mostly as price leaders in the base versions of small cars (think Hyundai Elantra) and in cars that are marketed as sports cars (Porsche, small BMWs). The notable exceptions are VW, Mazda, and some Hondas (fewer each year). It's amazing to me that Audi currently doesn't have a manual transmission car here unless you count the leftover '16 A4s, and Mercedes hasn't had one in years.

Truthfully, I don't know a lot of people who would insist on buying a manual transmission car. The idea of an E-Class or Audi A6 with a manual seems almost silly these days.

I've driven more 4 cylinder cars with automatics than I can count, mostly courtesy of Avis and Hertz. They were pretty much all awful. Only thing worse is a CVT, IMHO. Right now all the cars at my house are manuals, and I plan to keep it that way. But it may mean scooping up a '15 TDI regardless of price or continuing to drive an aging fleet of VWs.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Ha, good luck trying to find a manual SUV. I know they make a few crappy ones, but I'm planning on keeping my 6MT FJ Cruiser for a long time. I've just got to figure out a stablemate for it once these TDIs are gone.
You can get a manual in the 17 base Mazda CX-5.

Last edited:

speedrye

Veteran Member
TDI
13 JSW DSG, 14 JSW DSG
Counterpoint (assuming you're talking about Mazda)
We have HIDs in both our 2011 Golf TDI and our 2015 Mazda CX-5 Touring. The Golf's headlights are waaayyy better than the CX-5s!
The Mazda's high beams are cut off too much on the top so you lose illumination when approaching a hill. Most unnerving in deer country! Also, not sure if it's the same with the sedans but on our CX-5, only the inboard light turns with the steering.
I have yet to drive a car with LEDs. What is it you don't like?
I hear you on deer country, and that's why I usually have additional driving lights. My issues with LEDs are the color temperature and limited CRI (color rendering index). The 5000k-6000k+ LED color is way too blue for my preference. A stock 4300k HID is almost too blue for me, and I love the 2700k HIDs in my FJ's aux. lights. Honestly, I love the color of halogen for driving, but the limited output is an issue for me. Next up is the CRI. In almost all of the LED lights I've driven, it's much harder to discern colors at night. This can be huge when asphalt and grass look very similar. The LED output initially looks impressive, but it doesn't go you any good if you can't see as well. It's like those people that put those crap PnP HIDs in their projector housings. Sure, it looks bright as well, but the function is terrible in actuality. Now, I do love LEDs as auxiliary lighting, just not as main source of lighting on the street.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt though as I'm a bit of a lighting whore. That's one thing I pretty much always modify on cars, even if the rest is stock.

Random sidenote: The HID in 2014-2015 Mazda 6 GTs are the same as the Lexus RX-350 AFS projectors, typically recognized as one of the best projectors out there.

ericy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI (wife's car)
What's this about needing two hands to drive a manual. Don't you have knees?
Some years back I was in Germany, and I was talking with a fellow who had gotten a ride - the driver was on the German autobahn, driving something like 100mph, holding a phone with one hand and a sandwich with the other, and steering with his knees. :eek::eek:. The passenger just wanted the driver to stop and let him off.

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT; Black uni, Cornsilk
I hear you on deer country, and that's why I usually have additional driving lights. My issues with LEDs are the color temperature and limited CRI (color rendering index). The 5000k-6000k+ LED color is way too blue for my preference. A stock 4300k HID is almost too blue for me, and I love the 2700k HIDs in my FJ's aux. lights. Honestly, I love the color of halogen for driving, but the limited output is an issue for me. Next up is the CRI. In almost all of the LED lights I've driven, it's much harder to discern colors at night. This can be huge when asphalt and grass look very similar. The LED output initially looks impressive, but it doesn't go you any good if you can't see as well. It's like those people that put those crap PnP HIDs in their projector housings. Sure, it looks bright as well, but the function is terrible in actuality. Now, I do love LEDs as auxiliary lighting, just not as main source of lighting on the street.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt though as I'm a bit of a lighting whore. That's one thing I pretty much always modify on cars, even if the rest is stock.

Random sidenote: The HID in 2014-2015 Mazda 6 GTs are the same as the Lexus RX-350 AFS projectors, typically recognized as one of the best projectors out there.
I had a 2007 CX9 with HID lights once, and they were fantastic. Not sure what the specs were, but do you know how the new ones VW is putting in the Lighting package compares? I too like the color of the regular Halogen, but the distinct upper line, increased brightness & clarity, and much greater range of the HIDs on the Mazda is something I miss. They were even height adjustable. Only issue was, people would constantly flash me, thinking my high beams were on, when I had them at the lowest setting! I'd have to flash them back so they knew but it was a bit annoying & disconcerting that my lights may be seen as obnoxious.

Am I wasting my time thinking these VW versions are anything like that?

Last edited:

MD Vet

TDI
Jetta
I have tried to pull the trigger on THREE different Golf SELs, harder to find than you think. Each one was sold the same day I tried to make my move. So i'm going to take it as a sign that it is just not not meant-to-be.

That said, I am 90% sure I am not going to go with a VW. I am also settling down on my search and will wait until I have cash in hand to make a move on a replacement. Now I am looking hard at the civic hatch that just came out. By the time VW is handing out cash the Honda dealers should be stocked up with civic hatchbacks.

The civic hatch is a 1.5L turbo that gets like 37 mpg averaged out, and there is a 6-spd manual available on every trim level.

Thanks for listening to my ramblings.

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
I have tried to pull the trigger on THREE different Golf SELs, harder to find than you think. Each one was sold the same day I tried to make my move. So i'm going to take it as a sign that it is just not not meant-to-be.

That said, I am 90% sure I am not going to go with a VW. I am also settling down on my search and will wait until I have cash in hand to make a move on a replacement. Now I am looking hard at the civic hatch that just came out. By the time VW is handing out cash the Honda dealers should be stocked up with civic hatchbacks.

The civic hatch is a 1.5L turbo that gets like 37 mpg averaged out, and there is a 6-spd manual available on every trim level.

Thanks for listening to my ramblings.
Golf SEL TDI or gasser? We have lots of both in our parts that have been sitting for months, but most in S trim or SE. Even more so for GSW. In fact, there are a plethora of 2016 GTIs with low or no miles marked down thousands. Have you looked at GTI, or is mileage that important to you?

It seems VW sales are not good these days, likely due to the scandal.

Last edited:

MD Vet

TDI
Jetta
Golf SEL TDI or gasser? We have lots of both in our parts that have been sitting for months, but most in S trim or SE. Even more so for GSW. In fact, there are a plethora of 2016 GTIs with low or no miles marked down thousands. Have you looked at GTI, or is mileage that important to you?

It seems VW sales are not good these days, likely due to the scandal.
Thanks man, gasser
Yup I see lots of S's around, almost no SE or SEL...like I said, I guess it's just not meant-to-be.
Yeah man, mpg is important 36 in the golf is the lowest I can go and keep the wife happy.

I think I'll check out a civic hatch today on the way home from work.

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
The GT has always been available a manual, AFAIK. It's the 2.5 Touring (or maybe they were calling it the S touring, but it's the 2.5 engine) that wasn't available as a manual in '16. Now it's the 2.0 Touring that's not available as manual. All other Mazda 3s still offer the manual option.
I should have specified the 6, not the 3. You are correct for the 3!

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks man, gasser
Yup I see lots of S's around, almost no SE or SEL...like I said, I guess it's just not meant-to-be.
Yeah man, mpg is important 36 in the golf is the lowest I can go and keep the wife happy.

I think I'll check out a civic hatch today on the way home from work.
Ok, good luck! You may also want to look at Mazda.

BuyMeBackSoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 golf
Decided to end the replacement search, found a very low miles MINI 14 2 door. Still has lots of warranty left and I will walk away with a roll of cash.

lvfnchs

Veteran Member
TDI
Buyback: Golf TDI 2011 / Now have Golf TDI 2015
I test drove the 2017 Mazda3 GT last night. It didn't have the silly screen above the dash, which was a nice surprise. Drove really nice, especially around corners. I need to find out how to configure it to not have the screen, not sure what package you lose.

The only differences between the 3 and the CX-3 are that the CX-3 is AWD, no power seats, and no heated steering wheel. Also, I think you have to have the silly screen on the CX-3. But they're basically the same size and driving experience.

I've lived in the same house for 13 years and am not expecting to move. It's on a hill that gets bad in the winter. I've done fine so far with 2WD and snow tires, manual transmission. So I'm leaning towards sticking with just the 3. But would it be okay without MT?

It was my first time driving the Tiptronic. There's a lot going on there! I would need to learn and get used to it, but it seems like I'd get the same control in the winter by switching to manual. You can't downshift from 4 to 2, but you can go quickly from 4-3-2 and the engine slows the car. With all the traffic in CT it might be nice to move to AT with Tiptronic. I've always had manuals so it's a really tough decision.

So those are my choices:
1. M3 with Tiptronic or manual
2. CX-3 with Tiptronic or manual
3. New Civic hatchback (same dilemma about transmission)
4. Hyundai Veloster (same dilemma about transmission)

The main question is whether to stick with what I know (pun intended lol) or move to the new AT with Tiptronic. Seems like it might be good to know how to drive those since they're so popular.

Also, need to work out the timing since I only have the one car. I guess I would need to return the TDI and get the VW check on the same day that I get the new car, and get a ride from one dealership to the other. Is there a way to know what day you get the check?

It's so nice to have this space to discuss the options and see what others are thinking and choosing! Thanks.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Decided to end the replacement search, found a very low miles MINI 14 2 door. Still has lots of warranty left and I will walk away with a roll of cash.
Good luck. From what my coworker said about her's, the maintenance costs on the Minis makes VW look like a bargain.

JGEO

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
Since it is nearly the same price did you consider the Accord Hybrid Touring?
We looked at them and yes as another posted stated, trunk space is small. Wife wanted V6 to match the pick up of the TDI. The salesperson seemed to also question the reliability of the batteries in their hybrids, but he also tried to steer us away from the Touring V6 into one of the 4 cylinders for cost considerations. Hopefully he is just looking out for us since this will be the third car we purchased from him? The touring is not cheap and it comes with all the bells and whistles and it was what the wife wanted!:) Suppose to be on the lot any day. We put $500 down to hold it until the buyback.

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
We looked at them and yes as another posted stated, trunk space is small. Wife wanted V6 to match the pick up of the TDI
I'm driving an Accord with the 4 cylinder. It outaccelerates my TDI.

The 0-60 on the Passat TDI is around 9 seconds. The 0-60 time on the Accord I4 is 7.5 seconds. The 0-60 on the Accord V6 is 5.8 seconds.

Last edited:

halfast3

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG
Apreciate your analysis. While I haven't paid as much attention of late, I've been upgrading lighting in cars since the 60s. Early on, my efforts were pretty crude, like installing an aircraft landing light on my MGA. Problem was the charging system wouldn't keep up and I ended up having to upgrade that as well :eek:.
I've installed aftermarket lighting in amost every vehicle I've owned...Cibie, Marchal, Hella, Lucas and the like. Then, as Euro-spec OE headlights became more available and affordable, those were installed, most recently in our 2001 TDI.
When we ordered our 2011 TDI, we were delighted to see that Xenon lights (and heated seats) were stand-alone, ala carte options...not part of an expensive package of solutions for which we didn't have problems...an increasingly popular trend of late.
As we look toward replacing our TDI after buyback, lighting is a concern. Our current top pick is a Mazda 6 GT which will have LED lighting. I'll want to take an evening test drive to assess the lighting before purchase.

JGEO

TDI
2014 Passat TDI

The 0-60 on the Passat TDI is around 9 seconds. The 0-60 time on the Accord I4 is 7.5 seconds. The 0-60 on the Accord V6 is 5.8 seconds.

Those are good numbers and we drove them all. I liked the I4 for gas economy, my wife just felt like the V6 drove more smoothly. It is her car, I rarely drive it. I didnt even test drive them, I let her make the decision. Can't go wrong with either one IMO, outside of gas mileage.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
3 weeks ago I was driving an Audi A6 S-line Avant (TDI with chip tune) in Germany. UK car, but it had a super high 6th gear. IIRC 85 was about 2000 RPM. Great car, especially at 155 MPH :D

I'd be all over one of those...

billmc2010TDI

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sportswagen
Is anyone exploring the Alltrack? I test drove an automatic, but my preference is to "stick with a stick"! If one wants a manual with leatherette and a moonroof, the SE is the model. Dealer says manuals will be out in Jan. '17. Thanks

mopower

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW

I've noticed this same trend. Seems most all the leading larger sedans will out accelerate a TDI at sea level by a second when outfitted with their base 4cyl engines. I recall ole 2010 camry 4 cyl would do a 8.4s 0-60 run.