If you are considering buyback which cars are you looking at as replacements?

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
What's the prevailing wind feeling of reliability with the TSi's? TDI's have their share of known issues pre-scandal... But we deal. A lot of people in my family are going to look at me cross-eyed if I get another VW, I'd at least like to know if others have a good feel for the new golfs, other than what I read in magazines (mostly good).
Buy the car YOU are happy driving. VW makes some of the nicest driving FWD cars on the market.

It seems most of the growing pains of the 1.8TSI are being addressed. But I'd research it a bit deeper to be sure.

I drove a GTI today. Thought I might be able to delete that one from my list. No way. I loved it. The steering and turn in, and handling felt so good, especially compared to my current Passat, which tends to wallow over bumps. On another note, I asked him if her had heard of any incentives for current TDI owners to keep them in a VW, and he said the "Rumor" he heard that was being talked about was $5,000.00. Disclaimer: This is only verbal information from a VW dealer salesperson - it is not official and it might not be accurate (although I am positive he believed it and he seemed like a pretty honest guy). I'm just passing it on.
If that's true that'd go very far to seal the deal on a '17 GTI sport :D

mikew85120

TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI
Why are you considering a turn in

Hello
I keep reading how many people are going to turn in their TDI for the buy back. WHY? I am getting 37 city 44 highway. I like how it handles and I am not a small guy and have enough room in the drivers seat.
PLEASE explain the rational of the turn in.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Sometimes it just makes financial sense...

For example...

I have a 2013 Passat TDI SEL that has a buyback offer of just under $27k. I still owe $10k on it so I would pocket about $17k.

My dealership has a 2015 Passat TDI SEL on the lot equipped exactly the same way as my 2013 that hasn't been sold thanks to the stop sale. I think (SERIOUSLY hope) Vw may offer some incentives on the new vehicles that are 2+ model years old. So if I can get it for $27k, I will be in EXACTLY the same position I am in now, just much better off.

Higher value, lower miles, sale payoff.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Hello
I keep reading how many people are going to turn in their TDI for the buy back. WHY? I am getting 37 city 44 highway. I like how it handles and I am not a small guy and have enough room in the drivers seat.
Your reasons are why I'm still on the fence about the buyback. Though my commute has shrunken down a bit and my new job very rarely if ever will have me traveling with my car.

If math checks out I will be commuting around 10k miles per year to and from work. I was doing about 15k per year to/from my old job. And I'd also be asked to travel far and wide with that job too so I was going around 20-25k a year at my peak.

All that said, now that I have a tune that pushes over 350lb ft of torque to the wheels it'll be hard to say goodbye to this car. But the buyback will basically put about what I paid for it used a few years ago. I'd love to keep it, but I'd also like to get something a bit newer. The GTI might be the one that pushes me enough to trade in for the buyback.

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Hello
I'm like you. Cars are things that people need to have. The buy back is just a money grab to move on to a different car and they now have the opportunity to do so.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
And sometimes someone just wants to get out from under their car payment.

Another option I have is to let Vw buyback my Passat and take the $17k.

At that point I could buy a Jeep Wrangler or CJ-7 that I have been ogling for about $5k-$9k. Then I could take the remaining $8k-$12k and maybe, FINALLY, get my 59 bug on the road.

My username isn't just some meaningless hodge podge. I have a 59 bug that I inherited when my dad passed 30 something years ago that hasn't ever been (legally or completely) on the road.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
And sometimes someone just wants to get out from under their car payment.

Another option I have is to let Vw buyback my Passat and take the $17k.

At that point I could buy a Jeep Wrangler or CJ-7 that I have been ogling for about $5k-$9k. Then I could take the remaining $8k-$12k and maybe, FINALLY, get my 59 bug on the road.

My username isn't just some meaningless hodge podge. I have a 59 bug that I inherited when my dad passed 30 something years ago that hasn't ever been (legally or completely) on the road.
And they will just get under another car payment. You probably could have bought the Jeep without buying the VW. I see it as a bunch of opportunists not somebody that really wanted a TDI in the first place. How many were harmed by VW deceit as i said it is just a money grab. They did not like their VW anyway. Well wait till they buy the next car they don't like after owning it for a while. I'll bet there will not be a buy back on that one including your new Jeep.

Last edited:

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
There are some people that really do benefit from a TDI. If traveling more than twenty or thirty thousand miles per year the savings can really add up with the TDI. As I said before I will truly miss this car if I have to sell it or trade it in. There's just things that diesel powered vehicle can do that gas powered vehicles cannot do...
DAT TORQUE :eek::eek::eek:
You got how many mpg?!:cool:
600+ miles on a single tank of fuel.

There's just some issues with the down sides of the CR tdi's.
CP4 HPFP's taking out the whole fuel system is the big one.

DPF cracking or clogging is the most common issue

Serpentine belt taking out the timing belt in the process. Rare, however it has happened to a few folks here. It's often more expensive than the hpfp going out since it could mean a complete engine rebuild or replacement. :eek:

MaverickH1

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I see it as a bunch of opportunists not somebody that really wanted a TDI in the first place. How many were harmed by VW deceit as i said it is just a money grab. They did not like their VW anyway. Well wait till they buy the next car they don't like after owning it for a while. I'll bet there will not be a buy back on that one including your new Jeep.
Even more common are the know-it-alls who are certain they've got everyone figured out.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I'm looking for a mk6 gti w blown motor that I can drop a hopped up cr140/tdi transaxle into.

Itzed

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Hello
I haven't totally decided on the buyback yet, but am leaning towards it for the following reasons. And, no, my current car is not my first VW, it's my 5th, and I drive about 35K a year.

1. Uncertainty regarding the date, and effect of the potential fix.
2. Concern over potential high cost repairs such as HPFP, DPF, or UREA heater happening between now and the time of the fix, essentially after I've used up my warranty but before the extended one takes place that comes with the fix.
3. I live in a CARB state, so uncertainty regarding the future of TDIs.
4. My company buys my gas, so MPG is not as important to me. However range is, and not being able to 800 miles on a tank is something I will truly miss.
5. I take frequent 3 hour long trips, essentially every weekend. I find the seats in my Passat a little to hard on my tush after about 1.5 hours. I think it has to do with the lack of incline rearwards and my weight not being distributed partially to my back. I can't change that on these seats.
6. The Passat kind of "wallows" over bumps and doesn't have enough road feel for my liking.

All that said, I could keep this car for a long time and remain relatively happy if I needed to, but the risk seems high to me. I really am the right kind of owner for a TDI. If that extended warranty would kick in before the fix, that could potentially be a game changer.

drshaws

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW TDI 6MT
Hello
1. Our 2014 JSW is our 3rd VW TDI. It's had more issues and rattles than my '98 Jetta TDI. Not overly impressed.

2. Intercooler moisture issue/design flaw in the MKVI Golf/JSW. Left wife stranded once. Have little faith in 'redesigned' unit, since I've heard that there have still been freezes/moisture issues after the refit (because the overall airflow design is still mostly the same). Also not impressed that I heard 30 MKVI Golfs/JSWs came in the same week mine went in. And that was just one MA dealer. I also don't believe the 'solution' (consumers drilling holes in their airflow piping) while nice to see someone came up with it, just shouldn't be necessary on a 21st century car. I just don't have faith in it.

3. Cars should be fun, not worrisome. This one has had me more worried than most at this point.

4. Why not turn it into something different/fun/interesting. Life's short. Drive more.

grawk

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 JSW TDI (used)
For me, there is a 75% chance I'll be changing jobs, and won't have a significant commute any longer. If that happens, two of the advantages of the TDI go away (fuel economy and durability). That said, I'm still pretty tempted to keep it, because it's the car I like most of all the cars I've driven. I'd probably try and buy a lower mileage version of the same car if I can find one, tho it's something of a unicorn. I also picked up a secnod TDI for my kids to drive, and I'm torn between keeping it and just using the fix money as a discount, or selling it back for $4k profit and a free car for them to learn in between now and 2018.

MaverickH1

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Yeah I think I do, including you. I hope the buy back allows you to drive your dream Hummer into the sunset
Of course you think you know it all. Know-it-alls always do.

I guess I'm not a "true TDI lover" if this emissions issue makes me think this car has too much risk and I'll begrudgingly CONSIDER (which is in the title of the thread) taking the exit. All of this is more work I didn't want to do.

I like the TDI. I had hoped to do something crazy like building a dune buggy out of the powertrain one day when the rest of the car had died. Depending on the fix, I might still keep the car.

To quote Ygritte... you know nothing.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
I see it as a bunch of opportunists not somebody that really wanted a TDI in the first place. How many were harmed by VW deceit as i said it is just a money grab. They did not like their VW anyway.
Enough of the moralizing already. And especially, enough with acting like there's some kind of moral obligation to love VW and the TDI, forsaking all others, till death do you part. There are few among us, I wager, who would be driving a TDI if they could have any car they wanted, with cost as no object. I know I'm not among that group, and it's not for lack of liking the TDI.

I had my first TDI for 16 years and 270k miles. It was a great, trouble-free car. I replaced it earlier this year with another TDI, my JSW. It has thus far been trouble-free as well. And now VW's offering to buy it back from me for $7k more than I paid for it. But somehow I'm a money-grabbing opportunist for deciding that's too good an offer to pass up.

(OK, maybe buying two more just to sell back qualifies as being an opportunist).

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
I picked up a 2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited this week to eventually replace my 2012 Passat TDI SEL. The Outback offers a similarly comfortable ride, some more utility, with power and part throttle acceleration that is comparable to the TDI. I will miss the fuel economy and tank range for sure.

My wife works at GM, and unfortunately we both only like some GM models that cost $45k+, which is not in the budget right now. I really want a Chevrolet SS for example. I also like the Dodge Durango RT and Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel. I looked briefly at the CR-V, Rouge, and Forster. Quickly narrowed down to the two Subaru models for features/value/reliability. I like some things about each Subaru over the other. A back to back test drive clearly presented some contrasting aspects. The Outback won due based on the to simple/reliable 6-cyl that runs on 87-octane vs. the XT, ride preference, slightly more space, and the wife liked it better. :)

Buyback on my Passat is around $22k with around 80k miles at end of this year. I estimated about $2000 of service required by the end of the year if I were to keep it longer between 80k scheduled, Adblue heater, and some smaller items. I have few complaints and really enjoy the Passat. I would entertain another diesel and hope VW restores that market.

This allows us to do a little work on the Suburban with a 3rd vehicle for a few months. I'm planning to continue driving the Passat for most of my commuting until buyback in early 2017 with my wife driving the Outback saving a couple thousand miles off the main family vehicle.

Last edited:

speedrye

Veteran Member
TDI
13 JSW DSG, 14 JSW DSG
I picked up a 2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited this week to eventually replace my 2012 Passat TDI SEL. The Outback offers a similarly comfortable ride, some more utility, with power and part throttle acceleration that is comparable to the TDI. I will miss the fuel economy and tank range for sure.

My wife works at GM, and unfortunately we both only like some GM models that cost $45k+, which is not in the budget right now. I really want a Chevrolet SS for example. I also like the Dodge Durango RT and Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel. I looked briefly at the CR-V, Rouge, and Forster. Quickly narrowed down to the two Subaru models for features/value/reliability. I like some things about each Subaru over the other. A back to back test drive clearly presented some contrasting aspects. The Outback won due based on the to simple/reliable 6-cyl that runs on 87-octane vs. the XT, ride preference, slightly more space, and the wife liked it better. :)

Buyback on my Passat is around $22k with around 80k miles at end of this year. I estimated about $2000 of service required by the end of the year if I were to keep it longer between 80k scheduled, Adblue heater, and some smaller items. I have few complaints and really enjoy the Passat. I would entertain another diesel and hope VW restores that market.

This allows us to do a little work on the Suburban with a 3rd vehicle for a few months. I'm planning to continue driving the Passat for most of my commuting until buyback in early 2017 with my wife driving the Outback saving a couple thousand miles off the main family vehicle.
Like you, I really want an SS. A CTS-V wagon would be my second choice, but I think they're too small for the family. With the occasional SS sale, you can pick one up under $40k, so I now have a few spare TDIs sitting here to cash in to get me towards that goal. Sure, to some that makes me an opportunist, but I like to think that I'm working smarter, not harder.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying driving the VWs daily and saving on fuel costs. They drive decently at least, though I miss having acceleration since these things are slow in stock form. With a few light mods and a tune, I can see that these cars would be a lot of fun.

TDI
2015 Golf 6spd
I went out and bought a 2016 Jetta sport 5spd 1.8T to replace my 2015 Golf TDI. I parked my Golf in the garage until the buyback. It seems to be a liability to drive it (wreckage loophole and lower miles = $$$).

Right now is a perfect time to buy a VW. I got an awesome deal on my Jetta and am very happy with it. I miss the mileage and the instant torque, but the 1.8T is smooth as a turbine and makes good power. The fully independent suspension also makes a huge difference over my MK7 TDI.

NewEnglander

TDI
2011 Audi A3
And they will just get under another car payment. You probably could have bought the Jeep without buying the VW. I see it as a bunch of opportunists not somebody that really wanted a TDI in the first place. How many were harmed by VW deceit as i said it is just a money grab. They did not like their VW anyway. Well wait till they buy the next car they don't like after owning it for a while. I'll bet there will not be a buy back on that one including your new Jeep.
The TDI we wanted was a fairly tale and never really existed in the first place. Sure we liked it, but fantasies are easy to like. We've come to terms with reality.

Oh, and no, I am not going under another car payment. Perhaps it's because I'm a fiscally responsible person overall, which is why I chose the buyback as the wisest thing to do financially. ;)

ericy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI (wife's car)
I replaced it earlier this year with another TDI, my JSW. It has thus far been trouble-free as well. And now VW's offering to buy it back from me for $7k more than I paid for it. But somehow I'm a money-grabbing opportunist for deciding that's too good an offer to pass up.
For my 2014 JSW, they are offering a bit more than I paid for it as well, but with taxes and fees I think it probably comes out close to a wash. I have doubts that they will ever find a satisfactory fix for Gen1 cars, and if buyback is inevitable, I would rather do it now on my terms rather than take the risk of a major accident.

The other thing for me is the concern about a HPFP blowup. Had I kept the car, I would have gotten the 2micron filters which would limit the collateral damage. I don't know what percentage of cars from the 2014 MY will have HPFP problems -I am guessing 1-2%, but I could be way off. Part of the problem is concern about the blowup itself, but it concerns me as well that VW cut costs to the bone and speced equipment that couldn't quite handle the crappy fuel we have.

heehaw

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
We have enjoyed our 2011 TDI Jetta SWG. We still think the VW/Audi vehicles are great to drive. VW made a major screw up.

The issues we have are:

1) We were tricked into thinking it was a far more superior choice for our enviroment. We could have easily kept a much older TDI and saved a ton of money. But we were trying to do our fair share towards the big picture. We commend VW for trying to right their wrong. I even stayed somewhat loyal, when I bought my dream car to cruise into retirement. It is a 2017 Audi Q7 Prestige. That purchase was way before I knew of any VW buyout. It was in my 5 year plan, although originally, it was suppose to be a TDI. Audi had stopped all sells of new TDI's in this country.

2) Even though, we are TDI lovers, with this being our 3rd. Hubby will retire in a couple of years and will need to sell this TDI, which is his daily driver. I'm afraid it will be really hard to sell for a decent price at that time. It is too small of a vehicle to go on an extended tour of North America. It was in our 5 year plan to sell this TDI at retirement time. We can only take one car. There is no loan involved, so we aren't trying to get out from under anything. He only commutes 50 miles a day. So, the fuel cost difference is not really that significant.

I'm not sure what it will be replaced with. We will probably just pick something to get buy with for a couple of years. He may decide to drive this TDI until closer to the end of the buyback period. Either way, it has an expiration date at our house.

Last edited:

zoomydu

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
Our JSW is in need of a bunch of $$ impending repairs (A/C, pano sunroof, mystery clunk when braking and accelerating, closing in on timing belt replacement). Hell, yeah, we're happy to be able to get out of this moneypit and we are parking it until buyback. 6 months ago we would have considered another VW, but now it's doubtful. The A/C and sunroof issues appear to still be common problems on newer VWs. I don't hold out hope that these things will be rectified on 2017s.

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT; Black uni, Cornsilk
Hello
My rationale:

First let me say that I am not completely settled on buyback, but am leaning hard. This is because I LOVE to drive the JSW I own. It's great. It's paid for. I have ironed out most of the kinks and have all the services done including the timing belt. So I do not want to trade it in, yet...(more on that later).

I had previously owned a 2002 TDI Beetle, and the main reasons I loved that car I missed in our 2007 Passat Wagon I traded the Beetle in for (to get more space for our small family) and our other gasser cars and van. Those two main reasons were TORQUE and seeing that MPG in the high 30's or low 40's consistently.

That being said, I am leaning towards the buyback due to:

1. Uncertainty of the fix and the laws regarding emissions moving forward. Let's face it, none of us have a crystal ball and we don't even know what a new imperial president will decide to do with his or her EPA, etc.

2. Uncertainty of the CR TDI reliability. I have had several issues with this car (currently at about 117K miles). The entire fuel system needed to be replaced (luckily under warranty) after they found metal filings in the fuel. They said it was likely going to be an HPFP failure if I had not brought it in when I did. I have had the intercooler "ice up" twice, and the dealer said their could be engine damage. I have had the car go into "limp mode" more than once, and luckily under warranty so no expenses paid out. The turbo flap on both this car and the Beetle were an issue and produced a loss of power and stalling. Most recently the ride has been rough, and I am getting a lot of sputtering again, so I am sure it needs a tune at least.

3. Diesel prices have gone up, while regular gas prices have gone down AND while gas mileage numbers have gone up! We purchased a 2015 Golf S a few months back and it's getting high 30's for MPG. When you factor the cost, it's pretty much a wash with JSW TDI these days. The Golf also is tighter and handles better and other than a slight lag off the line has similar pickup/torque.

4. Getting nearly $17K for a car I have driven for six years seems like a no-brainer. No, it's not just a "money grab" but actually a pretty wise decision if one factors in the hit that the VW brand has taken and how much these cars have depreciated as a result of the scandal. I will not deny I am thinking of things I could use the money for, but I also have to factor in getting another vehicle. In my case, I was thinking of getting a gas guzzler I have always wanted (Jeep Wrangler) and then using the Golf S to commute. Is it wrong to weigh these scenarios out? I think not.

5. VW seems to WANT us to take the buyback. I love VW and will always be a loyalist to the company. I just like the stuff they make and think the price is right. But it sure seems like they want these cars off the road (most likely due to the settlement details with the EPA - think 'cash for clunkers'). What they will do with them is unknown, but I have to think they will get something in return.

So there you have it. My honest rationale. I would buy another TDI in a heartbeat if they brought us the GTD or one of the TDI-equipped people movers they sell in Europe. I dream of a diesel hybrid.

Last edited:

grawk

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 JSW TDI (used)
We were tricked into thinking it was a far more superior choice for our enviroment. We could have easily kept a much older TDI and saved a ton of money. But we were trying to do our fair share towards the big picture.
The TDI you bought is much better for the environment than the older ones, even with the cheating.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
The TDI you bought is much better for the environment than the older ones, even with the cheating.
On everything except NOx where the gen 1CR still puts out more than the old alh cars. It's still not a big deal to me since it's still a good bit less than a pickup truck :D

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
On everything except NOx where the gen 1CR still puts out more than the old alh cars. It's still not a big deal to me since it's still a good bit less than a pickup truck :D
What about the Q7 he mentions...? That cant be good for the environment when compared to the TDI

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT; Black uni, Cornsilk
I can honestly say, the environment had absolutely no bearing on my decision to buy TDI cars. If I ever own an electric car, it will be purely a pragmatic decision once the batteries can hold enough charge to give a decent range. Furthermore, "helping the environment" is a marketing sales point only.

Was a fordie

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
im looking at another 00-04 jetta tdi.. or maybe a v10 tdi touraeg.. or a 05-06 jeep liberty crd, or 07-08 grand cherokee crd