If you are considering buyback which cars are you looking at as replacements?

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
My Passat SEL TDI goes back to the dealer tomorrow (Thursday) and last night I bought the replacement vehicle for the same price as VW offered for my Passat. I found a new 2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring with all available options for $25k drive out. This included full factory warranty 3/36 and 3 years of free oil changes by the dealer at no cost. So, I'm not spending one dime out of my pocket.

The $2000 option (part of the deal)
GT TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE (ACTIVE GRILLE SHUTTERS, HIGH BEAM CONTROL (HBC), i-ELOOP REGENERATIVE BRAKING SYSTEM, LANE DEPARTURE WARNING SYSTEM (LDWS), MAZDA RADAR CRUISE CONTROL(MRCC), and SMART BRAKE SUPPORT (SBS))

No more worries......I will never buy another VW again.
My next and last post will be how long it takes to receive my money from VW.
As a current Mazda 3 owner, and ex-JSW TDI owner (who has the same respect for VW) please write us a final review after you've had the Mazda 6 on the road for a month. It's on my short list as well, primarily because of how fun and reliable the M3 was.

Last edited:

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
It's my understanding that the engine in the new Regals will be a version of the 2.0 turbocharged 4-cylinder that's in the Chevy Malibu and others. So it's an engine common in GM products for the US. The transmission on fwd Regal Sportbacks will be the 9-speed automatic that GM developed jointly with Ford; it will be built in Mexico and shipped to Germany. AWD Sportbacks and TourXs will have an 8-speed auto.(I forget who it's sourced from.
The opel insignia, Regal, and Malibu all share a platform, not just engines. So it's not as mixy matchy as it sounds.

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Niro Touring mpg

First tank of gas is done - 45mpg with the Touring trim, which gets 5-10 mpg less than the other trims due to weight and tire size. Compared to the 2010 JSW TDI, which was averaging 34 mpg, the KIA Niro is quite an improvement.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
First tank of gas is done - 45mpg with the Touring trim, which gets 5-10 mpg less than the other trims due to weight and tire size. Compared to the 2010 JSW TDI, which was averaging 34 mpg, the KIA Niro is quite an improvement.
You might have already mentioned it, but what is the stroage area like? In order for me to consider a replacement for the JSW, it has to fit two road bikes in the back without taking anything off. Just drop the rear seats and go.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Sure this has been covered but just turned in my 2010 golf tdi 6m. Averaged 38 mpg over its life stock and about 42-43 with stage 2 eco. Mainly canyon- foothill driving. Wife likes the mk7 GTI 6m . Think we could expect 30 mpg? . What about mk6 GTI 6m(only rated 21 city 31 highway)? . Any real world experience?. thanks for the help.
I don't have any MK7 experience, but I know they are rated a few MPG higher than the MK6. My experience with about 1k of miles on the MK6 is that 30 mpg should be pretty attainable for the MK6 if you keep your foot out of it and don't do a lot of stop and go driving. I'm not sure how the canyon driving will effect mileage. 28 mpg might be more realistic considering that you were only getting 38 mpg on the TDI.

I've had a hard time getting used to the higher revs. Cruising at 65 MPG in 6th gear I think I am at about 2400 rpm or so.

gcodori

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 NB TDI plus CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem.
Please post pics and your thoughts!

My wife is looking at the Niro and I'm trying to talk her into the Ioniq instead (actually has more storage room than the SUV version surprisingly).

Thanks!

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Having sat in an Ioniq and a Niro at the Detroit Auto Show, the back seat of the Niro is far roomier. Cargo room... the Ioniq's probably longer, but the Niro's got a taller cargo area?

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Please post pics and your thoughts!
My wife is looking at the Niro and I'm trying to talk her into the Ioniq instead (actually has more storage room than the SUV version surprisingly).
Thanks!
Yes, surprisingly, there isn't as much storage room as there is in a Toyota Prius. and yes, the backseat is very roomy, which is one reason why we liked it, since we had extra people to cart along with us on trips. There's also AC and power in the back seat as well.
The Prius, Volt, C-Max were all competitors, as well as the parent-companies Ioniq, but the Niro felt like a roomier, more comfortable, quieter drive for two, six-foot adults.
The Voice Nav in the Touring edition is quite good except for one error they made: KIA ditched Microsoft as the software engine for the UVO entertainment unit, instead choosing Android, and hence, the limited Android Auto. This system really doesn't like iPod's, USB drives, etc. So if external audio devices are important to you, make sure you do a thorough investigation first. It's a major step backwards in audio quality and usability. They actually eliminated voice commands like "play artist", "play album", "play song" "next" "previous", etc. Mind-numbingly stupid, and a safety concern as you futz with the lcd screen just to pick an album. Not to mention crappy sounding DAC's from your phone, and having to stream from the cloud. Dumb Dumb Dumb. But, millenials like it, so I am probably in a minority.
Five years, 60k, 10 years on batteries and power train I think. And we've got no problem with 45mpg either.

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Having sat in an Ioniq and a Niro at the Detroit Auto Show, the back seat of the Niro is far roomier. Cargo room... the Ioniq's probably longer, but the Niro's got a taller cargo area?
Yeah the Niro seems a little taller that way, plus it's got roof racks if you want to add external storage.
And......it's not a bloody VW product! The future is Korea! lol

titleist1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI
I picked up a 2014 Ford Fusion SE with the 2.5, 26500mi a few weeks ago to replace the Passat SE. Interior room feels about the same, a little less in backseat but very close.

After about 5 tanks, the mileage is about 30mpg in roughly 70% highway and 39mpg on 100% highway driving (I think I can break the 40mpg barrier if i pay attention). Compared to the 42mpg & 50mpg I got with the Passat in similar temps.

The Fusion is MUCH quieter than the Passat, the road noise in the VW was horrible. Put seat heaters in the Fusion (not hard to do) which was something the wife missed from the VW. Sound system is about the same, with a slight edge to the Ford but it could be due to less road noise. Steering is a little less responsive and there is a definite acceleration lag in the Ford vs. the VW.

Overall after a month I am not kicking myself for doing the buyback and picking up the Ford.

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Sportwagen DSG, 02 NB Auto
My Kia Niro Touring is used to carry my 14' paddle board.....I'm getting 42 mpg hand calculated for the exact same driving my 09 TDI sportwagen got 32. The air conditioning is much quicker in the Kia....and let us not even talk about the air conditioned seats on the Niro Touring!!!!! Handling even with the board on the roof (6" taller than the sportwagen) is every bit as good.....though freeway grunt is sorely lacking in the Niro!!!! Yes it has less space than the sportwagen, but it's easier for this old fat body to get in and out of....I love the HID lights, I easily get 450 miles on a tank (11.9 gallons) Miss the TDI torque....but I don't drive freeways much anymore.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
My Kia Niro Touring is used to carry my 14' paddle board.....I'm getting 42 mpg hand calculated for the exact same driving my 09 TDI sportwagen got 32. The air conditioning is much quicker in the Kia....and let us not even talk about the air conditioned seats on the Niro Touring!!!!! Handling even with the board on the roof (6" taller than the sportwagen) is every bit as good.....though freeway grunt is sorely lacking in the Niro!!!! Yes it has less space than the sportwagen, but it's easier for this old fat body to get in and out of....I love the HID lights, I easily get 450 miles on a tank (11.9 gallons) Miss the TDI torque....but I don't drive freeways much anymore.
Impressive MPG out of the Niro! Congrats.

UNsweet

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 TDI Sportwagon
You guys are killing me on the Niro feedback!!! LOL

I'm still enjoying my Tuscon, and my parents are looking to trade-in their Passat for an SUV of the Hyundai/Kia variant.

Enjoy it!!!!

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
You guys are killing me on the Niro feedback!!! LOL
I'm still enjoying my Tuscon, and my parents are looking to trade-in their Passat for an SUV of the Hyundai/Kia variant.
Enjoy it!!!!
Let's hope we aren't defrauded by KIA, seeing that the CEO is ex-Audi. Very glad to be rid of what was a great car when multi-thousand dollar parts weren't breaking down, which was quite often. Although I'll miss that low-end torque of the JSW, I'm sure the comfy ride, air-conditioned seats and 45mpg of the Niro will get me thru the tough times.....lol

redginger

TDI
2014 Jetta Value Edition
After rescheduling my buyback date twice because I couldn't find a car I enjoyed driving as much as my TDI, and test driving the Mazda 3 and Mazda 6, all of the Subarus, and Honda Accord and becoming weary of test drives, I went back to VW for my next car. I got another jetta - a 2017 jetta 18.t sel in white with black interior.

I turned in my red 2014 jetta tdi yesterday. I miss it already.

cooke6

TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan
Depressing reality. Went test driving yesterday and was thoroughly underwhelmed by what is on offer relative to my TDI. I Seven years old and still nothing comes close. I am almost coming to the same conclusion that a TSI is it, depending on how attractive my local dealer can make it. For a long while I thought the 17 Impreza with new FA20 would do it but damn is that thing lethargic.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
I sure hear you.

The TSI Alltrack is getting good press over on vw vortex (.com). Especially the 6M (EPA highway higher than DSG).

(Still a long way from my JSW TDI 6M though).

ez

cane929

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI DSG S
Today I decided to test drive other available diesels from Chevy.
Test drove the new 2017 Cruze TD, it had the 9 speed automatic transmission, can't find one with the 6 spd manual anywhere.
First impression before we drove of the lot? positive, engine sound is very refined (made in Hungary btw) (transmission made here in the US) interior fit and finish nice but still way behind VW, lots of hard plastic and fake chrome pieces that felt flimsy.
Then came the test drive, I have no idea what was that 9 speed transmission doing, before it up shift it keeps the rpm high-hesitation-up shift. At the traffic light the engine stops to save fuel then when it restart since its a diesel you will feel the vibration of starting and there is no way to select this feature off unless you opt for the 6SPD manual.
Driving dynamic, interior material, automatic transmission really made me appreciate the DSG smoothness and overall quality/ fun to drive and character of vw's tdi's.
The Cruze simply had no character/ soul/ fun factor, just felt like any car rental you drive and then will be happy to return back.
Driving my current TDI always puts a smile on my face, I was ready to finish the test drive and move on.
I would like to commend Chevy for bringing back the diesel engines and trying hard.
MSRP was 30K, its an LT trim.

dbias

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE w sunroof buyback 3/18/17
Today I decided to test drive other available diesels from Chevy.
Test drove the new 2017 Cruze TD, it had the 9 speed automatic transmission, can't find one with the 6 spd manual anywhere.
First impression before we drove of the lot? positive, engine sound is very refined (made in Hungary btw) (transmission made here in the US) interior fit and finish nice but still way behind VW, lots of hard plastic and fake chrome pieces that felt flimsy.
Then came the test drive, I have no idea what was that 9 speed transmission doing, before it up shift it keeps the rpm high-hesitation-up shift. At the traffic light the engine stops to save fuel then when it restart since its a diesel you will feel the vibration of starting and there is no way to select this feature off unless you opt for the 6SPD manual.
Driving dynamic, interior material, automatic transmission really made me appreciate the DSG smoothness and overall quality/ fun to drive and character of vw's tdi's.
The Cruze simply had no character/ soul/ fun factor, just felt like any car rental you drive and then will be happy to return back.
Driving my current TDI always puts a smile on my face, I was ready to finish the test drive and move on.
I would like to commend Chevy for bringing back the diesel engines and trying hard.
MSRP was 30K, its an LT trim.
For my tdi replacement i got an 2017 Audi A4. It has the start/stop built in also but it does have a defeat button on the dash right beside the ride select button. ive discovered though that the system reads the pressure on the brake peddle. if at a stop light i put just enough pressure to keep the vehicle from rolling it will not turn off. if i press down harder it will stop the engine. Just a thought to checkout

gcodori

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 NB TDI plus CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem.
Yes, surprisingly, there isn't as much storage room as there is in a Toyota Prius. and yes, the backseat is very roomy, which is one reason why we liked it, since we had extra people to cart along with us on trips. There's also AC and power in the back seat as well.
The Prius, Volt, C-Max were all competitors, as well as the parent-companies Ioniq, but the Niro felt like a roomier, more comfortable, quieter drive for two, six-foot adults.
The Voice Nav in the Touring edition is quite good except for one error they made: KIA ditched Microsoft as the software engine for the UVO entertainment unit, instead choosing Android, and hence, the limited Android Auto. This system really doesn't like iPod's, USB drives, etc. So if external audio devices are important to you, make sure you do a thorough investigation first. It's a major step backwards in audio quality and usability. They actually eliminated voice commands like "play artist", "play album", "play song" "next" "previous", etc. Mind-numbingly stupid, and a safety concern as you futz with the lcd screen just to pick an album. Not to mention crappy sounding DAC's from your phone, and having to stream from the cloud. Dumb Dumb Dumb. But, millenials like it, so I am probably in a minority.
Five years, 60k, 10 years on batteries and power train I think. And we've got no problem with 45mpg either.
Thanks for the input - my wife currently has a 2014 Kia Optima Hybrid.

We get about 36 MPG with it - my TDI averages about 39.

When researching the Niro - I read that the specs showed that the Ioniq had twice the room than the Niro. I can see the Niro being taller and the Ioniq being longer but lower. I thought they were the same platform - I guess the packaging is different - more rear seat room on the Niro versus the focus on trunk in the Ioniq.

I think the Fender sounds better than the high end kia system - never really used the voice commands in either.

I'd be interested in how the all electric versions of these twins perform/range/etc. Interesting times...

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
For my tdi replacement i got an 2017 Audi A4. It has the start/stop built in also but it does have a defeat button on the dash right beside the ride select button. ive discovered though that the system reads the pressure on the brake peddle. if at a stop light i put just enough pressure to keep the vehicle from rolling it will not turn off. if i press down harder it will stop the engine. Just a thought to checkout
The hybrids I've driven over the years were the same way. If you liked to creep at stoplights, then you could keep light enough pressure on the brake that the engine would keep running. I had a coworker that always asked why his hybrid camry never shutoff at lights. It was because he never came to a complete stop.

dbias

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE w sunroof buyback 3/18/17
The hybrids I've driven over the years were the same way. If you liked to creep at stoplights, then you could keep light enough pressure on the brake that the engine would keep running. I had a coworker that always asked why his hybrid camry never shutoff at lights. It was because he never came to a complete stop.
ive seen some with hyrbrids do this also. however with a dsg you should never do the creep thing as it is tough on the clutches. what i meant was that i do come to a complete stop and have enough pressure to keep the car still even when facing downhill but there is a certain amount of pressure that will make the start/stop activate.

thanksimgruven

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
For those shopping for ICE (internal combustion engine) powered vehicles, keep in mind you will spend a lot more of your life standing at the gas pump. No joke.. In addition, it will cost more as many cars have a larger than 14 gallon fuel tank. This is what I'm learning/remembering after having purchased a BMW 328 a few months ago.

If you have the means I highly recommend getting a non-'driving appliance' electric vehicle such as Tesla. So superior in so many ways...

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I can pump a lot of fuel into my cars for what a current tesla costs.