If you are considering buyback which cars are you looking at as replacements?

mopower

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW
I feel for you and the hassle of looking for and buying a used car. I too have seen that so many cars for sale are described as being like new or excellent condition only to find that they have had a ruff life. Cigarette burns in the seats, musty smells, dents, all these types of things really need to be disclosed! But in all honesty it seems like even asking for something as simple as stating the mileage on the car doesn't happen!

I'm confident that you will find something, the good ones sell right away when they are listed, only the junk sits around and clogs the listings.

I am in Florida for the winter and live 1000 miles away. I have been pouring over Craigslist ads and cars.com to find a diesel car. Found a clean e320 cdi in Louisville and had a friend test drive it, but it didn't have bluetooth phone or navigation. Found a 2006 jetta Tdi that needed the tranny repaired(unknown cost)
So today I drove 350 miles to look at a E320 cdi that the guy said was fine. When I got there the car was a mess. Wheels were dis colored and pitted, upholstery was worn and dirty, headliner ragged, inside smelled like a leak, hood had misalignment from being closed with something on the fender well. This Mercedes had been let go that you have to go through EVERYTHING(thousands of dollars). When I told the guy that he should have told me the car was in rough shape he told me he didn't think it was in rough shape.
It appears my 33 year diesel ownership may be over! I don't even like gas cars!
Then I get home after this mess and received an email saying I have to resubmit my information. Very frustrating.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Going back to basics. My 2003 Toyota Tacoma is back in my hands from my son. 4WD, 5 speed, crank windows 2.7 liter bullet proof truck. No more concerns about turbos, DPF, DSG, HPFP and all the other complexities. All I have to do is routine maintenance and keep rust off the frame. These trucks are known for reliability and as far as I am concerned simplicity, certainly as compared to Germans. Don't get me wrong, love German cars just want to simplify my life right now.
ya

Love my Golf TDi

But glad I have a way out of it through the BB settlement ~~ with a nice profit

When it comes time to replace my car ~~ the Asians are tugging my purse strings ~~ reliability, low depreciation, low maintenance.

However the 2017 - 2018 VW Golf is still in the running ~~ Heavens help me --- :p

Snafu1965

TDI
2012 A3 TDI DSG
Just turned in my 2010 TDI Jetta on Tuesday. Didn't really want to get rid of it but the offer was too good to not take.

When I started this whole process I started looking immediately for something else and ended up getting a really low mileage 2012 A3 TDI back in November. It has been sitting pretty much since then. As long as I didn't go over 100,000 on the Jetta I was still going to get the same money. So, put the miles on the Jetta and not the A3.

Bottom line is I got a good deal on the Jetta and also got a smokin' deal on the 21,000 mile A3 TDI. Make a little money and still got a TDI.:D

Vidgamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI (turned in)
Hey, that's the way to do it. I thought about getting an A3, new or used, but didn't see any TDIs. I am fine going gasser though -- HPFP, DPF, and not getting the mileage that seemed to make it all worthwhile all are contributing factors.

So, my new-used car is an upgrade, not a huge one, but I only had to kick in a bit of extra cash, so that is great. Yeah, really a good deal. If V W can fix the gen 1, the old golf will be a nice car for someone. It actually was really reliable.

lvfnchs

Veteran Member
TDI
Buyback: Golf TDI 2011 / Now have Golf TDI 2015
I scheduled my buy-back for the end of April to give myself time to decide what to get. I was in analysis paralysis. I've done a bunch of online research and am at the point where I need to go to dealerships and see what I like best, because everything I'm looking at is fairly comparable.

Ideally I want a hatchback with the safety features (like blind spot monitoring, etc.). A heated steering wheel would be great but not a deal breaker. Under $30K with at most 30k miles on it. Waffling between new and used. Used is a better price but more of a hassle to find what I want. Also harder to get those safety features in older cars.
Here's my short list:

- Mazda3 hatchback
- VW GTI (love the plaid seats, but can't have them and the safety features)
- Ford Focus
- Hyundai Elantra
- Kia Forte5
- Chevy Cruze
- Jeep Renegade

I'm considering checking out a Subaru Impreza or Crosstrek, but I don't want CVT. Always had manuals in the past but thinking of going auto this time because auto has come a long way and is probably the best it will ever be before being phased out. Plus most of these have the option to switch over to manual anyway. Thanks!

UNsweet

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 TDI Sportwagon
I scheduled my buy-back for the end of April to give myself time to decide what to get. I was in analysis paralysis. I've done a bunch of online research and am at the point where I need to go to dealerships and see what I like best, because everything I'm looking at is fairly comparable.

Ideally I want a hatchback with the safety features (like blind spot monitoring, etc.). A heated steering wheel would be great but not a deal breaker. Under $30K with at most 30k miles on it. Waffling between new and used. Used is a better price but more of a hassle to find what I want. Also harder to get those safety features in older cars.
Here's my short list:

- Mazda3 hatchback
- Ford Focus
- Hyundai Elantra
- Kia Forte5
- Chevy Cruze
- Jeep Renegade

I'm considering checking out a Subaru Impreza or Crosstrek, but I don't want CVT. Always had manuals in the past but thinking of going auto this time because auto has come a long way and is probably the best it will ever be before being phased out. Plus most of these have the option to switch over to manual anyway. Thanks!
I looked at some of these - I was shocked at the storage difference between the Kia and the Elantra. Like, WOW! The Kia was level with the bumper for the back and the Elantra dipped down. Storage was my number one thing so that was a deal breaker for me.

The Focus hatch - the back seat didn't lie flat - as in, angled enough it would make a great place to watch a movie at the drive in. They are in abundance here in C FL certified and cheap. I kept hearing about issues with them though, and my daughter even said a friend of hers seems to be at the dealer weekly dealing with some issue. So that got scratched.

Mazda 3 - there was not enough room in the back seat for my 3 girl teens. I loved everything else about it - but for us with the need to have 5 in the car for hour long drives it wasn't going to work.

Crosstrek was high on my wishlist - but out of my budget.

I need ground clearance ideally - so for me I went with a CPO Tucson. It was a great internet deal (no quibbles on price - what I saw online was what I was buying - LOVED that part!), 2015, 35k miles and $12.9k I sprung for the warranty wrap and now have a bumper to bumper for 10/120k miles.

I"m happy, loving the large side mirrors - don't miss the blind spot aspect because they are just BIG, over all I got it Friday night and i'm almost thru my 2nd tank of gas (hey, I was 4 hours from home when I bought it! LOL) and I'm happy. It is basic transportation, the seats are comfy - the base GLS seats were more comfy than the heated ones in the Limited I drove. I don't scrape the dirt in my driveway now - all 700 ft of dirt that it is, and I won't have to worry about major repairs for a long while.

I totally get what you mean though - I had also reached the point of needing to go look at them. It helped a lot.

Good luck on the search!! You have my sympathies. LOL

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive

Here's my short list:

- Mazda3 hatchback
- Ford Focus
- Hyundai Elantra
- Kia Forte5
- Chevy Cruze
- Jeep Renegade

I don't know what it is like in your area, but Autobahn GTIs are currently as much as $8k off MSRP around here; so while it doesn't have plaid, it is pretty much untouchable by anything on the market at about $27-$28k... ;)

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Anyone test drove the new Kia Niro? impressions?
probably going to buy one. in the lift gate, 45mpg category there aren't many choices.
Good things: build quality, feel, space, stereo, comfortable seats, advanced tech.
Dislikes: engine is a little soft, interior noise is a toss-up: not unlike many vehicles in the class, but the interior has you expecting more, Kia dealer's seem out-to-lunch, which concerns me post-purchase, and finally, price. They've got a new car they think is hot, and there won't be any 10% discounts anytime soon. It's also a second year car, first in North America, so i'm not convinced they've got the bugs out.
For a loaded touring, $33k seems high. $29.5k would be a slam dunk.

Last edited:

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
probably going to buy one.
Please let us know how you like the Niro after a month or so of ownership. It's on my short list of possible replacements, so I'd like to hear your opinion after you live with it for a bit.

Thanks in advance...

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Please let us know how you like the Niro after a month or so of ownership. It's on my short list of possible replacements, so I'd like to hear your opinion after you live with it for a bit.

Thanks in advance...
Will do. I'd like to wait for the diesel Mazda CX-5 to show up, as well as the new, Hyundai hybrid, but my wife wants the TDI gone before another expensive part explodes and we have to eat the repair to drive it over the VW threshold.

She really wanted a Prius, and has for a while, but has now fallen for the Niro after spending some time in a few test drives. The sport mode ups the horsepower quite a bit, but at the price of fuel economy.

Vidgamer

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't know what it is like in your area, but Autobahn GTIs are currently as much as $8k off MSRP around here; so while it doesn't have plaid, it is pretty much untouchable by anything on the market at about $27-$28k... ;)
They didn't have SE or Autobahn models for a while, so I ended up getting something else used. $8k would be fantastic - I figured I might get a few thou off, but never figured that much. They wouldn't talk pricing with me either, which didn't make me want to wait. I guess they know how not to sell a car though. :rolleyes:

cane929

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI DSG S
probably going to buy one. in the lift gate, 45mpg category there aren't many choices.
Good things: build quality, feel, space, stereo, comfortable seats, advanced tech.
Dislikes: engine is a little soft, interior noise is a toss-up: not unlike many vehicles in the class, but the interior has you expecting more, Kia dealer's seem out-to-lunch, which concerns me post-purchase, and finally, price. They've got a new car they think is hot, and there won't be any 10% discounts anytime soon. It's also a second year car, first in North America, so i'm not convinced they've got the bugs out.
For a loaded touring, $33k seems high. $29.5k would be a slam dunk.
Thanks for the update, I am also waiting on the Mazda CX5 Diesel and the Niro looks like a good replacement too.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Volkswagen Alltrack: thought I would love it but it felt meh. Much better suspension than on my GSW. Better off-the-line manners, but kind of fell flat in the midrange. I'd miss the TDI midrange.

The alltrack just needs more boot in it to feel alive, the DSG is programmed to shift at an anemic 2K under moderate acceleration, making it feel like it falls in on its face. On the test drive, I took an on uphill on ramp with what i thought was enough boot to get it to move, still shifted at 2K leaving me feel rather disappointed.

Pop it over to manual mode and shift at 3K or just boot it some more and it feels very alive, your MPG just goes down the crapper.

Also remember a tune will easily get the torques up to TDI level, haven't experienced it yet but its on the wish list

Fav40

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL (BB 2/17/17) 2017 Passat V6 SEL Premium
Keep in mind these cars are not use to the driver (DSG if it learns anything) and the motors aren't fully seated yet. More miles could improve this.

I test drove the Alltrack and felt it was pretty neat. If I needed a wagon I certainly would have considered it. Though SEL it and the price jumps a bit high, imo.

IMO, The Tiguan felt similar to me when I had my first loaner. It was a 2012. Later had a 2014 and it felt better programmed, more aggressive when spanking it, and less likely to grab 5th gear at 30mph, etc.

Hell on my 17 V6/DSG Passat it has up shifted early and at a bad time, but it's only got 100 miles on and I'm taking it easy. Paddle shift it down to correct it.

Only the TDI's didn't mind most early shifts, but even that motor wasn't happy at times with the DSG's up shift.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
A lot of the posts in this thread make me want to reconsider my decision on doing the buyback. Some of the "replacement vehicles" even make me want to consider a bicycle.....

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
A lot of the posts in this thread make me want to reconsider my decision on doing the buyback. Some of the "replacement vehicles" even make me want to consider a bicycle.....
My choices

The Hyundai Tincanna coupe, or

the new diesel Kia Particulata, or

the crossover for Northeast drivers, the Hyundai Syracusa ;)

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
Get you a truck. With a truck...you can do truck stuff.

My Ram is pretty sweet. Just put a tri-fold bed cover on it.

jjm

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SE; 2017 Golf TSI Wolfsburg (replaced 2012 Golf Hatch (Bought back by VW)
Thanks for the update, I am also waiting on the Mazda CX5 Diesel and the Niro looks like a good replacement too.
I drove a Niro last week and a new Impreza this week. Trying to find something I like better than my GSW SE that costs less and has comparable space. I decided to change my option from "Fix" to Buyback so I've been researching quite a bit. The Niro drove well, but has that crossover body style that is becoming so common and, to me, dull. Not crazy about going to a hybrid either, and there would be no cost savings when comparably equipped to the SE.

Subaru is touting their new rigid body design on the Impreza. Drove it yesterday, still don't like the CVT, and finish materials seem on cheap side.ride was a little bouncy and engine a bit weak. Again, no cost savings if equipping like the Sportwagen SE.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
I stopped at a Kia dealership an hour ago. They didn't have any Niros or Forte 5s. They had one Niro and sold it in two days but they said more of them would arrive next month.

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
Has anyone used The build and buy program feature at consumerreports.org? You have to be an online member and sign up for the "Cars Best Deals Plus" feature (extra cost). It shows you the invoice price and MSRP prices of the cars and options.

I used it to price out my 2012 Golf (manual) with the tech pacakge and rear spoiler. Other options I could get on my own, so I wouldn't have to finance it over the years (like rubber mats, exhaust tips, and other niceties)

VW Golf with Tech Package- $28,835
Rear Spoiler - $499 (invoice $399)

Cost - $29,334

With the Build and Buy program: $27,512

Savings of MSRP - $1,822

By doing this program, the dealer has to sell it to you for this price if you bring a printout with you. The 3 local participating dealers with the best deals as part of this progam are also displayed.

I'll most likely use it again for my next purchase, whatever that may be.

Last edited:

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
I haven't used it but I've used Truecar to get a feel for priocing (very similar program). Neither one saves you much, you can generally negotiate a better deal on your own.

jhawklver

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
I haven't used it but I've used Truecar to get a feel for priocing (very similar program). Neither one saves you much, you can generally negotiate a better deal on your own.
As I stated above, I use TrueCar to start negotiating via. I bought my replacement today, and had 3 dealerships sending me their best price. I told each of them I was buying today, needed absolute best price they could offer because I had others doing the same, etc. One dealership had already given me their "rock bottom" price and came down another $500. They got my business because that was the car I wanted from the start. I got the car for almost $1,800 below the "True Car best price."

It helped that it is the end of the month, but I'm happy as hell with what I got. I went with a Lincoln MKZ.

Last edited:

UNsweet

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 TDI Sportwagon
Well, not that anyone cares, but I did a 17 hour round trip road trip today. Central FL to Augusta Georgia and back. I have health issues that impact my ability to sit for hours like that, and I have to say I'm impressed. I was fine driving it. The seats were very supportive the whole way, and even the spot on my hand that hurts when I drive anything didn't hurt until the end. The car rode really nice, and was fun to drive even with the small engine.

So 1200 miles in I'm happy!

Gosh I drove a lot the last 8 days. Time to stay home and learn the new heat press I picked up today!

tvmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
I stopped at a Kia dealership an hour ago. They didn't have any Niros or Forte 5s. They had one Niro and sold it in two days but they said more of them would arrive next month.
seriously, one of my biggest problems so far with KIA are their dealers. Out of four dealerships we went to, only one either knew how, or cared enough to take the time to give us a demo of their tech package. They seem to have little knowledge of their product. The NIRO is no JSW, but there are so few, affordable cars which get 45mpg and don't need to be plugged in ever 70 miles, we are going to have to balance our grievances. I'm certain the dealerships are under-stocking to keep the prices inflated.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
For giggles I checked the Truecar price. (wife is looking at a Ford Edge). The numbers we have seen are well under the price listed on Truecar.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
The alltrack just needs more boot in it to feel alive, the DSG is programmed to shift at an anemic 2K under moderate acceleration, making it feel like it falls in on its face. On the test drive, I took an on uphill on ramp with what i thought was enough boot to get it to move, still shifted at 2K leaving me feel rather disappointed.
Pop it over to manual mode and shift at 3K or just boot it some more and it feels very alive, your MPG just goes down the crapper.
Also remember a tune will easily get the torques up to TDI level, haven't experienced it yet but its on the wish list
The Alltrack with a 6M and Vtex is a nice, capable vehicle. Rated EPA 32 highway. OTOH, the GSW 5M/15-inch wheels gets over 40 highway if driven circa 65 MPH. Currently no Vtex available. Perhaps 2018. We can always hope.

ez

ctmoore79

TDI
2012 Golf
Golf R

I decided to pick up a 2016 Golf R LSG/DSG/DCC/NAV. It is a great car. Taking a huge mpg hit but it is so much fun to drive. Waiting on paperwork approval and buy back date for my 12 Golf.

Last edited:

Vidgamer

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, no one said it was going to be that easy, but I got a better car, at the end of the day, except for the fuel mileage. I only had to kick in a few thou cold cash and it's a newer model year, far fewer miles, tons more HP, and a similar size hatchback style.

But if you really like what you have, you can keep driving and wait to see if a fix ever appears. I just wanted to try something new, but would have been OK driving the TDI some more.