If VW buys back your JSW, what will you replace it with?

shovelhd

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW
If you can buy aviation gas (AVGAS) at a local airport, that would be the best alternative. No ethanol, won't gum up, it will last for years and won't need Stabil.
The last time I bought avgas for my motorcycle it was low lead, not unleaded. Maybe that has changed.

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
Picked up my 2016 GTI this morning.

Successfully dodged the Jedi mind tricks of the sweet young finance manager (I was tempted by the wheel & tire protection plan, but I kept my resolve).

I only drove it a mile or so from the dealer to my home; then I got on my bike and rode to train station and took the train to work. :) However, my 18-year-old son drove it and he tells me he likes it just fine. whew!

Update: he just called and asked if he can drive it to work tonight. Answer: no.

Last edited:

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
Last edited:

toneman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW
Lots of different options thrown around in this thread. I guess that's a bit of the silver lining of this whole thing, is that we get to think about new cars to possibly purchase, which for gearheads is a good thing!
We'll probably sell back one of our JSWs and keep the other. I don't want to face additional debt on getting a replacement vehicle so my question is, what cars are you all considering that does NOT require any more money out of your pocket? That is, a financial as well as mechanical replacement.
For us, this has me pouring over lots of used/certified car listings to find something that solves the big compromise equation of utility, driving experience, fit and finish, and efficiency, adding in now price, miles, and warranty. Of course this is also just me who likes to torture myself with endless research to find the exact right car that checks all the boxes. We've got $20k to play with and the options aren't great. Anyone solve this equation already?

markman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI w/DSG; White Gold,Cornsilk Build Date 03/11
Lots of different options thrown around in this thread. I guess that's a bit of the silver lining of this whole thing, is that we get to think about new cars to possibly purchase, which for gearheads is a good thing!
We'll probably sell back one of our JSWs and keep the other. I don't want to face additional debt on getting a replacement vehicle so my question is, what cars are you all considering that does NOT require any more money out of your pocket? That is, a financial as well as mechanical replacement.
For us, this has me pouring over lots of used/certified car listings to find something that solves the big compromise equation of utility, driving experience, fit and finish, and efficiency, adding in now price, miles, and warranty. Of course this is also just me who likes to torture myself with endless research to find the exact right car that checks all the boxes. We've got $20k to play with and the options aren't great. Anyone solve this equation already?
This is exactly where I have ended up. After initially thinking I'd keep our 2011 JSW then seeing a buyback amount that is something I could never get for the car (it's only a couple grand less than what I paid for it), I decided to take the buyback. I immediately began looking/dreaming for a replacement. Like many of us, my budget quickly increased as I began looking at GTI's, Audi's, BMW's, GT350's, etc. After some more restrained thinking, I decided that I didn't need to spend more than the buyback on my next car. Like it or not, those expensive cars (and the debt that goes with them) don't really help me secure my impending retirement.

So, I'd like to find something that's new/certified that will give me a warranty and another 5-10 years of reliable service. Unfortunately, in order to do that it looks like I'm going to have to give up some of what made the TDI so much fun. I have some flexibility as I no longer really need a wagen. A 4-door sedan or hatchback would probably be roomy enough. I'm placing priority on long-term reliability/lower cost of ownership but I don't want to drive a completely boring vehicle. I might consider a manual but I spend a lot of time in traffic so an auto is probably more realistic. My buyback is $21,600 and I'm willing to add another 3-4k of my own cash to give me a final budget of $25k.

Here's some New options I have come up with so far:

2016/2017 Golf S (either manual or auto): 19-21k
2016/2017 Golf Sportwagen: 23-24k
2016/2017 Mazda3 4-door hatch Touring: ~23k
2016/2017 Mazda6 Touring: 25-26k (probably too expensive?)
2016/2017 Honda Accord Sport or EX (manual or CVT): 24-26k (maybe the most boring but probably the most reliable?)

I'm just starting to research the CPO options. I want to keep miles to 30k or less. I expect that some of the same cars in the list above will be available at 20k or under, which would be nice. Maybe I'll find some better/different options.

Anyone else want to chime in with some ideas?

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I've been thinking about this alot recently too. I think I'd be willing to go plus $5k if it gets me in a new gti with performance package and lighting package.

Otherwise keeping thrifty I think I'd consider a mk6 Golf R. I'd consider a mk5 R32, but only 2 doors and only dsg transmission.

Otherwise I'm kinda at a loss since not too much else really appeals to me. Maybe a audi all road? I looked at a ford focus st with sunroof, but man, it really is a size too small for me even without a sunroof.

I looked at the Subaru Forrester, but the seat is not long enough to support my thighs on long trips.

Nothing really appeals to me from BMW or Mercedes-Benz, well there are a few, but I really don't want a car that calls attention to itself or the owner. Around here the merchant and bmw badges are used as a status symbol. :mad:

Perhaps a older bimmer of some kind?
A 335d would be sweet! But they have real issues with carbon buildup in the intake and in the cylinder head. Every 60-80k miles from what I've read :eek:

End of the story, it's a tough choice for used cars!

Keep the ideas flowing!

tango_28

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 JSW(sold 2011) , 2009 JSW RIP 1-5-2013, 2011 JSW
Having a hard time finding a replacement for my JSW without paying more money.

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
Roger that, Tango 28.

Volvo and BMW are quite a bit more expensive; that leaves the GSW if one wants a newish station wagon.

The last year for both the Acura TSX Sportwagon and Toyota Venza was 2014. I'm not sure how I feel about buying a 4 or 5-year old used car (by the time I sell back the JSW in 2018.) I don't expect the settlement to replace my used car with new; I just don't want to have to kick in too much more cash (BMW or Volvo). Which kind of boils it all down to a GSW; but can I live with the first slushbox I've owned in 40+ years? VW's product planners for the US need to wake up. Many of us bought TDIs in SE or SEL trim with a 6MT; yet they don't offer that transmission at all on the GSW any more.

Oh, well. I have two years to make up my mind. Maybe something that "floats my boat" will come on the market in that time.

toneman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW
An intriguing option is the Volvo V60. From 2015.5 on, the base engine is a 2.0T (I4) with 240hp/258 lb-ft and 25/37 mpg -- not too shabby. C&D liked it, somewhat http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-volvo-v60-t5-drive-e-test-review . Less cargo volume than our JSW and a bit more understated styling-wise (less sporty to me). Can't be had with a manual though. And if I go with the plan of not spending more than my buyback (~$20k), only one car within 1500 miles comes up on cars.com, a red 2015.5 with 40k miles, not certified so only 10k miles left on the warranty (which makes me nervous).

Anyone with experience with these cars? Fun to drive? Practical enough?

POBOX2897

TDI
2014 JSW 6-speed
Pretty certain I've decided on the '17 6-speed 4motion GSW. I'd just like to see some EPA MPG estimates and the buyback deal finalized before I move forward.

ericy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI (wife's car)
An intriguing option is the Volvo V60. From 2015.5 on, the base engine is a 2.0T (I4) with 240hp/258 lb-ft and 25/37 mpg -- not too shabby. C&D liked it, somewhat http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-volvo-v60-t5-drive-e-test-review . Less cargo volume than our JSW and a bit more understated styling-wise (less sporty to me). Can't be had with a manual though. And if I go with the plan of not spending more than my buyback (~$20k), only one car within 1500 miles comes up on cars.com, a red 2015.5 with 40k miles, not certified so only 10k miles left on the warranty (which makes me nervous).

I have the 2015, not the 2015.5. I got mine CPO - given what I will get back from VW, it was almost a straight swap for the JSW (with taxes/fees,etc I probably paid out of pocket 2700$ more for the Volvo), but my buyback runs about 28K$.

I would probably say that the cargo volume is pretty comparable with V60 and JSW. Each manufacturer has their own way of measuring, and just eyeballing the two side-by-side suggests that the back area is about the same. I guess I could get out a measuring tape and see how close my perception is to reality.

Volvo is pretty a-la-carte when it comes to options, so if you are looking at CPO, you need to decide what things you must have, and what you would like to have. Some things you can put in after-the-fact, others you really can't. The back-up camera is optional - not all cars have it, and I didn't want to give it up (and due to wiring harness issues, is sometimes hard to add after the fact, but believe it r not, you can order a car from the factory with the wiring harness bits without the actual camera). I found that some CPO cars for whatever reason don't show up on the Volvo CPO site - I found mine on CarGurus.com. With all of the JSW owners out there looking for another car, the V60s probably won't last long. If you are prepared to travel a bit, you might have better luck. Note: spare tires are now optional. You get a compressor and a can of fix-a-flat instead. There is room in the trunk for a Tempa spare, but many cars don't come with it.

In terms of driving, the suspension seems a bit stiffer than the JSW. The ride is very smooth - we have already had the "Honey, you are driving 75 in a 50mph zone" moment :eek: (for some reason my wife couldn't make sense of the speedometer until I had her switch the screen to "sport mode"). But at 75mph, the ride was just as smooth as it was at 50mph.

The fit-and-finish of Volvo is always going to be a step or two above VW. I find the Volvo easier to get in and out of (for a tall person, the door opening of the JSW was kind of on the small side, and I would always hit my head getting in/out). One odd thing I notice is that the steering wheel of the JSW is smaller - when I get into the thing now, it feels like I am getting a hold of the steering wheel of a go-kart.

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
Which kind of boils it all down to a GSW; but can I live with the first slushbox I've owned in 40+ years? VW's product planners for the US need to wake up. Many of us bought TDIs in SE or SEL trim with a 6MT; yet they don't offer that transmission at all on the GSW any more.
Nailed it. This German logic keeps coming up! I don't have a wagon now, but I'd love one. And I don't want to wait around for the raised up GSW Tupperware edition either. In 25 years of driving, the only auto I've had was a company car. Just not my thing. You guys who want an auto are lucky, a lot more options!

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI
2x 2013 JSW (1 manual BOUGHT BACK 12/20/16, 1 DSG BOUGHT BACK 1/14/17), Audi A3 e-tron gas-plugin-hybrid, gas Volvo V60

I test drove one and have one (2017) on order, but no practical experience. From eyeballing the cargo room, it looks to be about the same as the JSW.

I am not really an auto person -- my JSQ being manual but the wife's JSQ auto -- but an 8 speed makes up for it a little. The wife is mostly going to be driving the Volvo anyway.

I've seen dealers with left over 2015.5 new cars for under $30k with all the promotions and the fact that the car is old and they want to get rid of it. And I've heard of great deals even on new 2016 on the lots (like tons off). So look around and bargain.

With regards maintenance, one thing to remember is that the new ones have 3/36k maintenance included so the big bucks don't start for a while...

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI
2x 2013 JSW (1 manual BOUGHT BACK 12/20/16, 1 DSG BOUGHT BACK 1/14/17), Audi A3 e-tron gas-plugin-hybrid, gas Volvo V60
Nailed it. This German logic keeps coming up! I don't have a wagon now, but I'd love one. And I don't want to wait around for the raised up GSW Tupperware edition either. In 25 years of driving, the only auto I've had was a company car. Just not my thing. You guys who want an auto are lucky, a lot more options!

VW USA has been chasing the Toyota / Honda customer for a long time now. Like a decade or more. Which is why all the interesting VW combinations are pretty much not in the USA and we just get prepackaged Toyota and Honda wannabe cars. The TDIs were one of the nice exceptions ('were' not 'are').

toneman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW
I have the 2015, not the 2015.5. I got mine CPO - given what I will get back from VW, it was almost a straight swap for the JSW (with taxes/fees,etc I probably paid out of pocket 2700$ more for the Volvo), but my buyback runs about 28K$.

I would probably say that the cargo volume is pretty comparable with V60 and JSW. Each manufacturer has their own way of measuring, and just eyeballing the two side-by-side suggests that the back area is about the same. I guess I could get out a measuring tape and see how close my perception is to reality.

Volvo is pretty a-la-carte when it comes to options, so if you are looking at CPO, you need to decide what things you must have, and what you would like to have. Some things you can put in after-the-fact, others you really can't. The back-up camera is optional - not all cars have it, and I didn't want to give it up (and due to wiring harness issues, is sometimes hard to add after the fact, but believe it r not, you can order a car from the factory with the wiring harness bits without the actual camera). I found that some CPO cars for whatever reason don't show up on the Volvo CPO site - I found mine on CarGurus.com. With all of the JSW owners out there looking for another car, the V60s probably won't last long. If you are prepared to travel a bit, you might have better luck. Note: spare tires are now optional. You get a compressor and a can of fix-a-flat instead. There is room in the trunk for a Tempa spare, but many cars don't come with it.

In terms of driving, the suspension seems a bit stiffer than the JSW. The ride is very smooth - we have already had the "Honey, you are driving 75 in a 50mph zone" moment :eek: (for some reason my wife couldn't make sense of the speedometer until I had her switch the screen to "sport mode"). But at 75mph, the ride was just as smooth as it was at 50mph.

The fit-and-finish of Volvo is always going to be a step or two above VW. I find the Volvo easier to get in and out of (for a tall person, the door opening of the JSW was kind of on the small side, and I would always hit my head getting in/out). One odd thing I notice is that the steering wheel of the JSW is smaller - when I get into the thing now, it feels like I am getting a hold of the steering wheel of a go-kart.
Thanks, ericy. What kind of mileage are you getting with the 5 cyl? I'm also curious about living with the infotainment system, which looks quirky (I've come to love the simplicity of the touchscreen rns-315 that I retrofitted into my jsw).

newWorldTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW 6SPD
Test Drive Report: Allroad, SQ5, Q5 TDI

Drove the Audi Allroad, an SQ5 and Q5 TDI yesterday.

Allroad (was high on my list for JSW replacement): Audi gorgeous fit and finish. Decent looking beast. Under-powered, disappointing.

Hatch space behind the rear seats? Small! Low! A primary need for me is fitting 2 75-lb dogs in the back. Absolute no-go, surprised me.

Allroad is out.

SQ5: Awesome. Aluminum block supercharged v-6, ridiculous - great driver, horrid MPG but it's a sports-crossover. I loved it. For me since wife has a diesel cruiser GL350 for road trips - this is a strong maybe. Been jonesing for a 'driver's' car for a while, this could fit the bill.

Plenty of room for doggies in the back, the rear seats are on tracks and can move up toward the front row about six inches. Does leave a floor gap.

Driving it: well, it's Quattro with S suspension, capable of doing some lateral G stuff no Xover should be able to do.

Q5 TDI: 1st think you notice immediately is the different feel of a cast iron block in the V6 3.0L TDI . . . but it's got serious grunt off the line. Very different feel from the SQ5 - not as responsive, less confident in the curves, and you really do feel the extra weight. Q5 fit and finish which is spartan but gorgeous, classic German no messin' around. you can get any colors you want as long as they are Silver outside black inside :D

Sketchy on the TDI's ability to be sold CPO. Waiting on a call from the dealership.

I'd go SQ5 if a CPO with low mileage and right price turned up but so far - that doesn't exist.

Will be driving Volvo V60 and BMW 328D Sportwagen soon. When I heard BMW had the same Bosch fuel system (HPFP) that really knocked them out of contention but I'm going to check it out anyway just to validate the heavy lean toward Audi.

If split-window Type II's weren't so damned expensive I'd get one of those instead.

rfortson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Surfwagen TDI
Hatch space behind the rear seats? Small! Low! A primary need for me is fitting 2 75-lb dogs in the back. Absolute no-go, surprised me.
Allroad is out.
I'm considering the E-Tron and this is my concern, too. I have two dogs that combined equal 75 lbs, so they might fit. We don't drive them much anymore, so that's also a factor. I really want a PHEV and the E-Tron seems to be the best compromise of all my factors. The Volt is cool, but has zero space for cargo or backseat passengers.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I think there's virtually no chance of buying a 2016 VW TDI Sportwagen. The '16 TDI engine was never submitted or approved by agencies who oversee this. I've read that none were moved any further into the US than ports where they were offloaded from ships and stored. Articles have stated those cars will be shipped out of the country.

I would have submitted an order for a new 2016 GSW TDI if offered.

I don't know if 2017s will be offered for US sale. VWG may have been so badly bruised and angered by our corrupt and overreaching EPA that they sell only gas engines and develop electric cars for the future.

Personally I would consider a bicycle before I would buy an electric car.
Whatever the approved fix is, I assume that VW will do that to the 2016 models and offer them for sale. From what I have read in other threads, without the EPA approval, they may not be able to export them.

As for me, I'm looking at holding onto my JSW as long as possible. Let them do the fix on other cars and see what the issues are before deciding what to do with mine. I have at least 18 months to decide.

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm considering the E-Tron and this is my concern, too. I have two dogs that combined equal 75 lbs, so they might fit. We don't drive them much anymore, so that's also a factor. I really want a PHEV and the E-Tron seems to be the best compromise of all my factors. The Volt is cool, but has zero space for cargo or backseat passengers.

My kids easily fit in the etron and they are more than 75lb combined :)

They are 13 and 8. Don't have dogs.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
The last time I bought avgas for my motorcycle it was low lead, not unleaded. Maybe that has changed.
I was thinking that Avgas was all L1011, or leaded with 101 octane. That burns a little rich for most lawn mowers. Check out midgrade or premium, they are often ethanol free.

Last edited:

newWorldTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW 6SPD
My kids easily fit in the etron and they are more than 75lb combined :)
They are 13 and 8. Don't have dogs.
You put your kids under the hatch back?!? ;):D

We're talking behind the back seat . . . allroad is teeny back there. Like, half the headroom of the JSW, I was surprised.

I imagine the etron is worse.

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI
You put your kids under the hatch back?!? ;):D
We're talking behind the back seat . . . allroad is teeny back there. Like, half the headroom of the JSW, I was surprised.
I imagine the etron is worse.

Sorry, I don't have dogs and the cars with dogs I see have them in the back seat.

The etron space under the hatch is smaller than the JSW. The "worst" thing is the lack of a retractable cover like the JSW (and Volvo V60) have. There is a hard "deck" that hangs from the hatch so is lifted when the hatch opens.

If you removed that deck, two smaller dogs would be ok I would think. I still gets lots of stuff in there. Unfortunately the width is narrower than the JSW as they did not indent the inside side panels so my bass guitars don't fit in like they did with JSW.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Here's some New options I have come up with so far:

2016/2017 Golf S (either manual or auto): 19-21k
2016/2017 Golf Sportwagen: 23-24k
2016/2017 Mazda3 4-door hatch Touring: ~23k
2016/2017 Mazda6 Touring: 25-26k (probably too expensive?)
2016/2017 Honda Accord Sport or EX (manual or CVT): 24-26k (maybe the most boring but probably the most reliable?)
We seem to be about the same age range as a lot of our conversations are what do we need after retirement. We will be looking for something that is easier to get in and out of. So nothing on that list really works for me. We will probably look at small crossovers/CUVs. Maybe something like the Honda HRV or CRV, Toyota RAV4, Mazda CX5. The exception would be if the VW dealer just happens to hand us the keys to a new TDI GSW when the time comes.

My only other comment is that my son-in-law has a Mazda 3 speed and my daughter hates it. She doesn't like how it rides of handles or takes expensive tires that do not hold up to northern Indiana potholes. I should add that her comparisons were learning to drive in my 2000 TDI beetle and she's now driving the 03 Passat.

ericy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI (wife's car)
Thanks, ericy. What kind of mileage are you getting with the 5 cyl? I'm also curious about living with the infotainment system, which looks quirky (I've come to love the simplicity of the touchscreen rns-315 that I retrofitted into my jsw).
It is 4 cyl, not 5. I only have one tank that I have completed where I have good enough records, and that was 29mpg combination city/highway. Once the novelty wears off, we will see. Range seems to be about 450 miles per tank for me anyways, but if you go on a long road trip you could well do better than that. There is a thing on the instrument cluster that shows miles until empty, and right after a fill, it showed 670 miles, which seemed suspect, but after driving a bit, the number came down. The instrument cluster also shows the current fuel economy, but as you can imagine that bounces around a lot. I don't know whether there is a way to show the average fuel economy for the current trip - I should go looking for that.

I came into TDI from Volvo, so I am well aware of what maintenance can cost. Although in reality maintenance of TDI isn't exactly cheap if you go to a dealer. My sense is that the costs are kind of comparable.

Infotainment is a little interesting. Losing the touch screen was a step backwards, but the screen is far enough back that you couldn't touch it easily. If all you want to do is change radio channels among your presets, there are forward/back buttons on the steering wheel. Similarly, answering the phone is just as easy - there is a roller on the steering wheel - you press that to answer, and an exit button you press to hang up.

One thing that is a minor nuisance is switching from satellite to radio and back again. On VW, that was easy as there were separate buttons for that. On Volvo, you have to hit the radio button, and then scroll down to select what you want.

I never had a navi on the VW, so I can't comment on how easy/hard it was to use. The Volvo navi is about on par with many of them that are out there - you can enter an address manually, and the method is somewhat klunky mainly because you don't have a proper keyboard to enter the address.

In theory you can use voice control to tell it your destination - I haven't gotten far enough with that to say how well it works. And in fact you can use voice for quite a number of things. It isn't the same as Google, where you can tell Google to "navigate to the nearest Home Depot", but if you know the address where you are going, you can tell it where you want to go.

Getting the maps uptodate is another issue with manufacturer navi systems. Starting in 2015.5, they fixed it so you can download the maps yourself onto a USB stick, and do the update yourself (all at no cost). For older systems you *may* need to purchase DVDs, although some of the forums in the UK suggest that Volvo is pushing an update to the older systems to allow them to also update maps via a USB stick. I asked my own dealer about exactly this update, and they didn't know much about it, and I should add that the page where you actually go to download the maps only has Europe, Russia and the Middle East (and not North America and a number of other regions). I have a question up on the Volvo support site, but the Swedes pretty much all take the month of August off for vacation, and it is pretty quiet there right now. Worst case, I guess I buy the map DVDs from the dealer, but I am going to wait a few months to see what they come up with.

toneman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW
It is 4 cyl, not 5. I only have one tank that I have completed where I have good enough records, and that was 29mpg combination city/highway.....
Such excellent info, really appreciate it. I think I'll have to take the kids and grandma to a dealer and see how they fit in the backseat. Specs say 2 inches less legroom compared to the JSW. May be tight.

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
VW USA has been chasing the Toyota / Honda customer for a long time now. Like a decade or more. Which is why all the interesting VW combinations are pretty much not in the USA and we just get prepackaged Toyota and Honda wannabe cars. The TDIs were one of the nice exceptions ('were' not 'are').
And they're going to learn a big lesson on the american car buyer's brand loyalty, and how it works both ways...

markman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI w/DSG; White Gold,Cornsilk Build Date 03/11
We seem to be about the same age range as a lot of our conversations are what do we need after retirement. We will be looking for something that is easier to get in and out of. So nothing on that list really works for me. We will probably look at small crossovers/CUVs. Maybe something like the Honda HRV or CRV, Toyota RAV4, Mazda CX5. The exception would be if the VW dealer just happens to hand us the keys to a new TDI GSW when the time comes.
My only other comment is that my son-in-law has a Mazda 3 speed and my daughter hates it. She doesn't like how it rides of handles or takes expensive tires that do not hold up to northern Indiana potholes. I should add that her comparisons were learning to drive in my 2000 TDI beetle and she's now driving the 03 Passat.
We have 10 years or so before retirement but are in "max savings" mode in anticipation of the date. I'm a financial planner by profession so I'm sort of obsessed with the whole long-term goal thing :) That's why I'd like to find something that will be a good, slightly understated work/running around vehicle that's not much more than the buyback amount.

We've never had a crossover/SUV before, just haven't been interested in it, but in talking with my wife last night about possibilities she mentioned that she might be OK with one. I think I will try a CR-V and CX5 and see what we think of them. Interestingly, her current car is a 2007 Mazda 3 hatchback (the non-MazdaSpeed one) and she absolutely loves it! Our roads here in Atlanta are probably better than Indiana though.