If they made an SEL Premium with a 6-spd manual, would you have opted for it instead?

Would you have opted for a 6-spd manual SEL Premium if they offered one?

• Yes, absolutely.

Votes: 31 53.4%
  • No.

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • I'd consider it, but I don't know.

Votes: 10 17.2%

• Total voters

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Can I get a fourth option. Absolutely but the wife still wouldn't have let me get a manual.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
Nope.

I generally favor manual transmissions for daily drivers. However, at this point in my life, 3 kids with taxi duty, automatics just fit better. Smooth shifts rule, as in no loss of acceleration between each gear and np head bob. And being an automatic means it is more likely to be driven over our other vehicle that uses about 3x the fuel.

So, 5 years ago, absolutely. 5 years from now? Maybe. But not right now.

Last edited:

FLIPTDI

TDI
Passat TDI SEL
OK, I voted hell yes, but then started having second thoughts. Ive always loved driving with a manual, and the improved MPG would be awesome too, but the whole traffic issue is what made me think twice. I guess I'm a FlipTDIFlopper. :)

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I love my 09 Jetta TDI DSG.

However, I have come to the conclusion that if anything ever happens to the Jetta, I WILL be replacing it with a Passat TDI.

I just can't decide between the TDI SE 6 speed manual or the TDI SEL.

It is tough to choose between 6 speed manual or Sunroof, Fender, and Navigation

If they offered a TDI SEL 6 Speed manual, I would not be waiting until something happened to my Jetta. I would trade it in a heartbeat.

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
I am all for maual trans but not in a commuter car. I drive to much, and sit in too much traffic to want to put a clutch in and out. on top of that I plan to hit the mountains regularly and many times traffic backs up on uphill side and after a day of skiing I will probably want to set my car on fire if I have to sit in 10+ miles of traffic going up hill.

Passat is not a sports car. DSG all day every day.

I will be getting my GT500 to satisfy my need for a stick and feeling sporty.:D

Jbdesigns

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6MT, 2012 Jetta TDI 6mt (sold)
I wanted passat sel with 6spd but that's not an option. Got jetta instead. May trade back in for SE passat 6spd. Even though it's not SEL

byrdman27615

TDI
2012Passat tdi se dsg and 2012 tdi se 6m
Absolutely. I bought the SE w/o sunroof and six manual. So far I've added 18 wheels, short shift kit, solowerks suspension and rns 510. I moved to the Passat from a manual 5 series BMW and am enjoying spending less. But I would love to have some of the toys that I had in the BMW........

FormerOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6spd; Former Owner 02 MkIV wagon
I personally don't need all the bells and whistles the "premium" edition of the Passat TDI... made sense to me to order an SE b/c it's what I liked. I have no regrets buying the Passat.

Jump62

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GlS,2006 NB (Crew Chief),2009 JSW
I for one would have liked the option to have a manual option for the SEL, I like the toys. Before I bought the last 3 TDI's in our families fleet I wrote out a build plan for each and for the B7 Passat ( number 4 ) I want to build a diesel M5. Think this platform has great potential to be made into a great GT car and still get uber fuel milage. As part of the build plan I was looking to do a DSG/manual swap like some of the MKIV and V cars to dump the 01M trans to get a manual into a B7 SEL. That my story and I'm sticking to it.
Paul
aka Jump62

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
For the record, it's not a B7 (a completely different car, still labeled the "Passat" and sold in Europe). North America, China and Saudi Arabia get the Passat officially designated the "NMS," or "New Midsize Sedan," which is significantly larger than the B7 (among numerous other differences).

gr8smile66

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT, NightBlue/Beige
My Wish List

I would have preferred to have the sunroof option, as well as the Fender audio upgrade and the faux wood trim. The fog lights would have been nice to have, too. I don't really care much about the navigation system or the faux suede seat inserts.

I specifically sought out a car with a manual transmission, and the Passat filled my criteria (fun to drive, reasonably equipped, great gas mileage, backseat space)-- I am really happy with my TDI!! :)

Now, if only VW offered the Passat TDI in all wheel drive....

And purple paint!:D

Jump62

Veteran Member
TDI
For the record, it's not a B7 (a completely different car, still labeled the "Passat" and sold in Europe). North America, China and Saudi Arabia get the Passat officially designated the "NMS," or "New Midsize Sedan," which is significantly larger than the B7 (among numerous other differences).
And your point is? Like most here if I used either NMS ( that has all the zip of TFX from the 1960s ) or B7 most here will get the idea. Oh and yes I do look at what goes on across the ponds and would love to own some of it, curse you VOA. So the topic was a manual 6sp SEL not noun nomenclature ID of a VAG product and yes I would still like one.
Paul
Jump62

GeekDrew

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Well, the topic asks whether I would have, so to be truthful, yes, I probably would have. When I bought my Passat earlier this year, I would have preferred a standard.

The more useful response, however, is that my opinion has reversed. The DSG is awesome, and I have exactly no regret in having purchased the DSG, nor any desire to ever have a manual put in the car.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
My point is that in the interest of accuracy, you should call it what it is. :p

B7V 4Motion TDI, pretty please!

Jump62

Veteran Member
TDI
My point is that in the interest of accuracy, you should call it what it is. :p

B7V 4Motion TDI, pretty please!
I don't think anyone is confused as if when we call a cars A-4 or what ever, are we accurate? BTW you waste bandwidth with every banner you use every time. Lighten up or become a moderator. If you want a B7V 4motion then build one, SVTWEB did ( or rather a B5.5 but you get the idea).
Paul
akaJump62

PS if you want to keep this up we can IM, there are more important issuses to solve/discuss and not playing e-mail tag and who's-your-daddy.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I don't think anyone is confused as if when we call a cars A-4 or what ever, are we accurate? BTW you waste bandwidth with every banner you use every time. Lighten up or become a moderator. If you want a B7V 4motion then build one, SVTWEB did ( or rather a B5.5 but you get the idea).
Paul
akaJump62

PS if you want to keep this up we can IM, there are more important issuses to solve/discuss and not playing e-mail tag and who's-your-daddy.
I am a moderator!

The bandwidth wasting banner in my signature is advertising for TDIFest, which funds this entire site for an entire year! Don't talk to me about bandwidth.

Thanks for playing! :rolleyes:

Jump62

Veteran Member
TDI
I am a moderator!

The bandwidth wasting banner in my signature is advertising for TDIFest, which funds this entire site for an entire year! Don't talk to me about bandwidth.

Thanks for playing! :rolleyes:
I thought you were a " goog old boy " ah to be young again and as if TDI fest isn't advertised enought. temper temper gee and I thought the products I've bought through vendors helped, last I looked I spent over 4.5K at impex and that is just one. Lets let this die already

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I'd be happy to let it die (since all I wanted in the first place was a better signal:noise ratio - accuracy is important) as long as we have the facts correct. Most vendors support the site but not in terms of direct monetary contributions, i.e., a percentage of products purchased. Some vendors graciously donate products for us to auction/raffle at the Fest but TDIClub doesn't require anyone to contribute anything - some vendors do, some don't.

If you're satisfied, I'm satisfied. Let's get back to the topic at hand - SEL Premium with a manual transmission option. The poll has tipped and is currently showing that a majority of people would opt for this option.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Back on topic...
I didn't vote because my option isn't up there. If I were to buy a passat, I would like to see the manual offered with more features. I would also like to be able to pick and choose those features. The way it's set up right now, I would probably end up getting the SE with sunroof and settle for having to take the DSG. Since I already have two tdis with DSG, my preference would be the SEL with 6M, sunroof, leather, fender audio, but no nav. My Garmin does fine for $100-150 and I can take it with me.