If not a diesel, then what would you daily drive...

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Since we're on the subject of nostalgic VW's, I may become the most grateful owner of a rabbit pickup sometime next week. Finding one in decent condition and at justified price is becoming limited with every passing day 😇
I've got two of those, the first one i got for $300 from the neighbor, it had rusted out floor pans, but ran and drove... The second one i got a couple years ago, an early westy with no rust and 86k original miles for $1500 with an unhealthy engine due to sitting for a long time and being started with starting fluid every time... It's getting a TDI sometime soon

2004LB7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Despite the known issues with EVs. Their questionable environmental benefits, range, charging speed, etc. I think if I had to give up my current TDI I would probably find me a used Chevy Spark EV. Only about 80 miles per charge but most of my driving is limited to less then 50 miles per day. Test drove one a few years ago. It was quick, nimble, good visibility and small enough to find parking just about anywhere. If none where available then I may end up converting a vehicle to an EV myself

I would probably save enough on fuel (electric is about 14¢ kwh here) over the life of the vehicle to justify using my truck for long road trips or just renting another car for those few times a year trips

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
'91 Jetta, '91 GTI, '04 Touareg
I've got two of those, the first one i got for $300 from the neighbor, it had rusted out floor pans, but ran and drove... The second one i got a couple years ago, an early westy with no rust and 86k original miles for $1500 with an unhealthy engine due to sitting for a long time and being started with starting fluid every time... It's getting a TDI sometime soon
Slammed mini trucks are super cool to me. But more importantly my desire to own one (with air suspension) is so I can tow a sport bike on the bed for a few track days.

Towing does not work for me here in NYC as I don't own a home and live in an apartment. The one I'm picking up is a gasser with a few rust spots here and there. There is a 4 inch rust spot on the floor as well.

Last edited:

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
Despite the known issues with EVs. Their questionable environmental benefits, range, charging speed, etc. I think if I had to give up my current TDI I would probably find me a used Chevy Spark EV. Only about 80 miles per charge but most of my driving is limited to less then 50 miles per day. Test drove one a few years ago. It was quick, nimble, good visibility and small enough to find parking just about anywhere. If none where available then I may end up converting a vehicle to an EV myself

I would probably save enough on fuel (electric is about 14¢ kwh here) over the life of the vehicle to justify using my truck for long road trips or just renting another car for those few times a year trips
I bought a Spark EV 2 1/2 years ago and still enjoy driving it. Plus, they let me charge it at work. :D

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
A number of cars that people now want as classics, I had an opportunity to test drive and consider buying when they were new: '84 GTI, Corrado, '04 R32 are three of the VWs. Didn't decide to buy them then, and I don't know that my opinion has changed. But maybe if I could find a pristine G60 Corrado I'd reconsider.
Most people don't buy classic cars for their driving characteristics. I have a friend in Ontario that has a Cobra sitting in his garage. I've sat in it and looked it over but have never heard it running or seen it on street. He'd have to move his other toys first. 1941 Chrysler Limo, 66 Plymouth, 73 Honda 60cc bike.

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
rollin in my two point oh, panoramic back so my hair can blow
I'm coming at this from the point of view of somebody who enjoys driving their cars. Maybe I'm wrong, time will tell.

Whenever somebody describes a 1500kg car as "lightweight" I shed a tear for our youth. Who knows though, maybe some new tech will bring sub 1000kg sporty EVs to our near future..

Last edited:

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
rollin in my two point oh, panoramic back so my hair can blow
How about that mazda turbo diesel.. Is that a real life option on the used market. They were supposed to be imported but I have yet to see even one pop up used here.

Did a nationwide search, looks like a one year 2019 deal for USDM. All over 30k. Maybe some years down the line I'll have another look at those. You guys on other continents may have some older ones to look at.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Did the Mazda diesel ever make it into anything other than the SUV for North America?

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
extract
The Skyactiv-D-powered version of the CX-5 cost more money than the gas version, offered less horsepower, was slower to 100 km/h, and delivered only marginally better fuel economy. In the days where diesel was much cheaper than gasoline, this may have been a good seller, but in today’s modern electric era, it’s fairly old-hat.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
You need to insert yourself into this.

Hinzipwo

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI (auto)
You need to insert yourself into this.

that colour is gorgeous :love:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Fun cars. Just don't get into an accident with one. The entire vehicle is a crumple zone.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
Finally saw two C8's but still not exciting as finding a cabriolet up here. The C8's what the NSX could have been.

MATPOC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5-speed
This is my favorite car out of 40 or 50 that I have owned... Lightly modded, about 300hp
(I also have a Ridgeline which will be for sale soon)

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I like the C30s too. If they had sold them here in a manual I'd probably be driving one today.

MATPOC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5-speed
I like the C30s too. If they had sold them here in a manual I'd probably be driving one today.
I went to look at the 6 speed C30 in ME, it's probably still there LOL, dude was smoking some serious crack.
They are out there, just cost 2X more than automatics, but Auto isn't that bad, it's AW55, so actually one of the best sloshboxes I've had

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
This is my favorite car out of 40 or 50 that I have owned... Lightly modded, about 300hp
(I also have a Ridgeline which will be for sale soon)

Is that on the tail of the dragon?
My coworker is a Volvo guy, I like them well enough as well, and would consider getting one, I've been learning about which ones are decent, and which ones to avoid.

MATPOC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5-speed
Is that on the tail of the dragon?
My coworker is a Volvo guy, I like them well enough as well, and would consider getting one, I've been learning about which ones are decent, and which ones to avoid.
Yeah, Deals Gap, usually I ride the bike down or trailer it with a truck, but I left my bike in Maryville last year and finally was able to bring fun car... Never expected it to be so fast, I can chase down sport bikes with C30 (and some sticky RE71's) I'm no slouch on a bike but I definitely go quicker in this pocket rocket

Mozambiquer

TDI
Yeah, Deals Gap, usually I ride the bike down or trailer it with a truck, but I left my bike in Maryville last year and finally was able to bring fun car... Never expected it to be so fast, I can chase down sport bikes with C30 (and some sticky RE71's) I'm no slouch on a bike but I definitely go quicker in this pocket rocket
I finally got to go a couple months ago, took the Passat wagon, and it did pretty well! It was a lot of fun and I considered turning around and going back. 😄

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I went to look at the 6 speed C30 in ME, it's probably still there LOL, dude was smoking some serious crack.
They are out there, just cost 2X more than automatics, but Auto isn't that bad, it's AW55, so actually one of the best sloshboxes I've had
I'll be damned, I must have looked at 50 for sale and they were all tiptronic. I think I even set the filter for manuals only. Maybe not though, because I just found quite a few manuals. There's one in Mass. I might buy.

MATPOC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5-speed
I finally got to go a couple months ago, took the Passat wagon, and it did pretty well! It was a lot of fun and I considered turning around and going back. 😄
My first time I ran it just to say I've done it, didn't like it and spent the whole week just discovering the area, riding solo abut 300 miles a day, but I kept coming back and after few years started to memorize some of the sections, that made it more fun and now 10 years later it has become my favorite stretch of road in the world!

One of the trips I rode the Blue Ridge, started in Wyanesboro 8AM and 11 hours later I was in Cherokee, 3 gas stops, 2 rest stops, lunch and 469 miles of bliss. I was sad that after 11 hours that rollercoaster ride came to an end, wanted to turn around and do it again, but it was 7 pm and I was still over an hour from my destination.

MATPOC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5-speed
I'll be damned, I must have looked at 50 for sale and they were all tiptronic. I think I even set the filter for manuals only. Maybe not though, because I just found quite a few manuals. There's one in Mass. I might buy.
They are getting long in a tooth, last one rolled off assembly line 8 years ago. Timing belt needs to be done at 100k or 10 years, water pump, probably motor mount, also PCV system if it's not done yet, because when PCV blows it pressurizes crankcase and blows out cam seals, then you have to do timing belt again.
I paid $3k from y 2008 with 114k, had to redo the timing belt because they didn't replace water pump (lied, told me it was new)
AC clutch wears out and needs to be re-shimmed or replaced, but every mechanic will try to sell you whole compressor, although even "3 ziptie fix" will last for years, join C30 group and listen to the right guys (Rich Forsythe) he actually has an automatic with some obscene horsepower, probably one of the sickest C30 builds. You can easily swap in AWD from S40 or V50, can be done in a driveway, just need a donor car... They have potential, they are fun to drive and if you find a clean one that has not been messed with by hamfisted mechanics it will last you forever

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Looking at a burnt orange, '11 6 speed R line. Not generally a fan of the color, but it seems to suit the C30's funky styling. Probably quite overpriced at $9k with 125k miles, but the 6 speeds are hard to find.

MATPOC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5-speed
R and 6 speed make it worth all the money. I have a friend selling low mileage R for $16k
Just so you know that R-Design is purely badge engineering, it has Sport suspension, but so does my Version 2, it has low ground effect body kit, and so does mine.
R does have blue gauges and some other interior differences, purely cosmetic.
One thing that my V2 does not have is R steering rack which is like 1/4 turn less than regular cars... not enough difference to even care.
Motor same in all, in US T5 was the only option, 2.5L i-5 turbo with 227hp
Simple stage one adds about 30hp, you can pay for factory Volvo Polestar tune (I was quoted $1400 by the dealer) but I went with Shark, Stage 1 was $700-ish?
After i went a bit nutty with mods I upgraded to stage 3, only $200 because they already have most of it done. Volvo tune is VIN specific and has to becwritten for each individual car based on VIN

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI

There is a gentlemen on the vvortex (the car lounge) who is letting go of his S60R in the same color combination as a the pic above. I was tempted at one point to negotiate but my love for older VW's is hard to deter. I had an '04 S60 awd (non R) 2.5T when I was out in the Midwest. From the minute I saw that car to the time I let it go of it makes for a pretty good csb...

Saw an ad for it on MN CL ($800). It was priced low because the kid hit a bank and went into a ditch, then blew one of the axles trying to get out. Even worse is when I turned the corner to his home and watched him jump a cement block in the parking lot which busted the antifreeze hose 🤨

Felt bad so handed him $600 and towed it back home. I purchased the car mainly as a just-in-case-emergency vehicle for traveling to NYC at the time. Overtime I fixed the axle, pcv, and other tidbits when I had a chance to pull it into the Indy shop where I was working. There was an upcoming interview back here in NYC which would inevitably become a hurdle I had to overcome living in MN. As suspected a 20ft-ft snow storm came a-brewin' deeming all aircrafts/airports worthless and leaving me to drive the Volvo for a 1300 mile road trip.

Dashing through Wisconsin the storm came into full effect to the point where the awd was deemed useless. Crawling at a 20mph pace the back slid in an incline and traded places with the front. The Volvo and I started making our way towards the interstate barrier in reverse with no bearing in sight. Being a master of all things on wheels, nonchalantly I drove through the rear windshield and somehow saved our ass with a handbrake maneuver I learned sometime back. Then there was an angel in a dually who followed close behind for the next 10 miles, making sure everything was OK until I found a truck stop. Had I not left that night for the interview, a date I have been waiting for 15 years of residing in this country regarding my legal status would have gone to chyt, possibly leading to deportation.

Believe it or not those S60's make for great road trips and I reached NY in no time. Can't say the same for my return back to MN. Passing through Indiana I had motor issues in on a part of the interstate which I can only describe as the asphalt equivalent of the Bermuda triangle...

Making way through that confusion which spreads asphalt thru three neighboring states, there was an immediate loss of power which left the Volvo for dead; no drama for effect as cars zoomed by at 90+ mph. Took a minute to sum up an idea on what went wrong-- interference engine and I forgot to do the timing belt at work 😖

After a few phone calls to tow truck companies which fell hours short of any help, I decided to find the nearest gas station. It was 4am deep when I sprinted across the triangle, riddled with the final answer as to why the chicken crossed the road. I jumped over the highway barrier and found myself in neverending darkness of uncut green. I made way with the smartphone in-hand; even had to cross over a stream and got drenched all over with God-knows-what. Then I hit some flat lands and felt better. That is until the simmering light drew out a silhouette outlining a pack of wild things taller than myself.

Great! My life cut down by a dang'ol timing belt 🙃

They turned out to be a pack of Impala's racing through the night... ...it was actually kind of beautiful.

Last edited:

MATPOC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5-speed
What a story...
I have a friend with V70R who is currently doing the motor because it's his favorite car in 30+ years of driving and money not an object when it comes to getting this car exactly the way he wants it, which in this case is reliable 400+ hp... Stock they are 300 at the crank, goal is 400 at the wheels...
I've had 740 turbo and pair of 850's 2.4 n/a and 2.5T, all of above wagons, was actually looking for V70, wanted the R but couldn't afford it (they are about $20k now with 6 speed) so I kept searching for unicorn, V70 T5 manual, came across C30 and test drove it. Came back with cash and low-ball offer of $3k, drove it home.
However I still needed a wagon for work and this is how I ended up here because I got MK4 TDI wagon and needed some help fixing it...

Mozambiquer

TDI
What a story...
I have a friend with V70R who is currently doing the motor because it's his favorite car in 30+ years of driving and money not an object when it comes to getting this car exactly the way he wants it, which in this case is reliable 400+ hp... Stock they are 300 at the crank, goal is 400 at the wheels...
I've had 740 turbo and pair of 850's 2.4 n/a and 2.5T, all of above wagons, was actually looking for V70, wanted the R but couldn't afford it (they are about $20k now with 6 speed) so I kept searching for unicorn, V70 T5 manual, came across C30 and test drove it. Came back with cash and low-ball offer of $3k, drove it home.
However I still needed a wagon for work and this is how I ended up here because I got MK4 TDI wagon and needed some help fixing it...
My coworker has an 850 that he just finished building. It was making around 500 up. Its a 5 speed manual, which was swapped in. Big turbo, cams, 850cc injectors, and a whole bunch I don't understand. He then wrecked it and just finished swapping the drivetrain into another 850. He also has a s60R that he got for cheap with a thrown rod. He's working on building an engine for it now.