If not a diesel, then what would you daily drive...

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
'91 Jetta, '91 GTI, '04 Touareg
Battery degradation depends largely on charging habits- For longevity you should drain no less than 20% and peak charge should be halted at 90%.

Most people don't read the manual.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
I can see that if in a household you have two cars have one diesel for the highway and one EV for the city. This of any metropolitan are in the US, what percentage of passenger vehicles do up to 99 miles per day at least 99% of the time? There you have it, a good choice for a three year old used eGolf, used Bolt, used Soul EV, used Leaf. Why not? Most likely in the $13K range average price give or take.

A diesel has still some strengths if you are concerned of an emergency evacuation situation (hurricanes, forest fires, come to mind) where the gasoline supplies will be depleted quickly while diesel fuel will be still be available. You might be stuck a long time in your vehicle with the AC on and the diesel will help you greatly in those dire situations.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
If you want one car a plug in hybrid seems to be the best solution. And maybe if the anti-diesel stigma ever passes (not sure it will) a plug in diesel hybrid would be ideal. Best motive power for conditions, where each type of power does best. EV for low speed, stop and go, and diesel for high speed, long distance.

As an aside, Ford is pre-launch teasing its new pickup, called the Lightning (seems they're recycling their well-known brands for EVs). One line in the release caught my attention, saying it could power your house during a storm. Around here a running joke is everyone fills up their cars with gas before a blizzard. (The joke is where are you going to go if the roads are impassable?). I guess that what Ford doesn't consider is if you use the truck to power your house, it won't have any range left to go anywhere when the snow stops. Oops.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Speaking of burning down the road... Have you heard about putting out a fire in an electric vehicle? It takes approximately 30,000 gallons of water to extinguish and cool down a Tesla, unlike a internal combusted vehicle that takes maybe 1000 gallons.
Yes and no. The one fire reported that is took an estimated 3000 gallons of water (IIRC) but that particular station house was not equipped with foam supression system. They need to smoother the fire and adding water to a melting lithium fire just increases the reaction. It's forcing many fire departments and businesses that have their own first repsonders to evaluate their equipment. They also have the rare circumstance that the battery system is arcing.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
.... like you said... 'There are use cases which favor one or the other for sure.'

If the Bolt didn't fit your needs then try a Model Y or the Mach-E. The Model Y can tow 3500lbs and easily travel ~200 miles at 85mph then recharge enough for another ~200 miles in ~20 minutes. Of course a new Y is going to be more expensive than a used TDI but the only way to get used cars is to build new ones. Would have been nice if were had done what we're doing now ~15 years ago. Then there would be all sorts of great used EV options out there....
Not sure that a Model Y can tow a 3500 pound trailer for 200 miles at 85 mph. Even my truck drops from mid20s to mid teens when towing.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Yes and no. The one fire reported that is took an estimated 3000 gallons of water (IIRC) but that particular station house was not equipped with foam supression system. They need to smoother the fire and adding water to a melting lithium fire just increases the reaction. It's forcing many fire departments and businesses that have their own first repsonders to evaluate their equipment. They also have the rare circumstance that the battery system is arcing.
Todays EVs have little to no metallic lithium in the battery pack. The lithium is in the form of salts that do not react with water in the way that metallic lithium does. Ideally, a fire involving an EV would be allowed to burn itself out. Since that is impractical in many/most instances, the use of large volumes of water is recommended. At some point fire departments will probably be equipped with dumpster like bins that the vehicle can be hoisted into and submerged in sand, water, etc.

nkgagne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagen 6M, 2006 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Looks like it's going to be a hybrid Sienna for the next "main" family vehicle (possibly with a 2.Slo or 2.5 mk4-5 beater for me if I end up back in the office).
I love amazing fuel economy and good torque which has been the allure of TDI as well as the driving feel of a VW, but now with regens I'm wasting a bunch of time (and some fuel) "to save the environment." Well since 90% of our trips are too short (and regens always start during the shortest possible one anyway because of Murphy's Law), I'm forever leaving it idling for an extra 10-20 minutes so it can finish blowtorching itself and then cool off for a few more minutes. I think not feeling forced to sit and idle at the least convenient times, and recouping some energy from all of the stopping/braking around town will be far more in line with our usual driving habits, plus we get the added space of a van and a bit better towing capacity. The hybrid system is a big liability as far as complexity over time, but the same goes with a newer TDI (HPFP anyone?).

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
rollin in my two point oh, panoramic back so my hair can blow
Would have been nice if were had done what we're doing now ~15 years ago. Then there would be all sorts of great used EV options out there....
Yes again I agree with what you are saying, but that doesn't help one bit TODAY for used car shoppers.

For the record on Bolt.. Performance tires can reduce range 10-15%. Rated to tow zero pounds. Want a blast 100mph down the straight of your local circuit.. you can't. It won't let you. Driving at 85mph will reduce range 30% or more from the "230" total. High heat setting on climate, up to 40% reduction. Heavy A/C use can reduce range drastically too. The guy who said do not top off over 80% or go down below 20% for best battery life is correct. So I'll leave it up to anybody reading this post to combine multiple factors and do the math on your real world range here..

IMO 9 of 10 people could get by with it no problem, but your bias is causing you to be disingenuous with your posts. Which is why I'm responding with the above as devil's advocate. Getting back to the proper thread topic.. I think a 2.0 mazda 3 could serve as a good contender for TDI Golf hatchback replacement. Good power, and over 30mpg combined. All without getting a turbo involved.

Last edited:

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (sold); 2012 Tesla Model S
Yes again I agree with what you are saying, but that doesn't help one bit TODAY for used car shoppers.
My point is let's not make the same mistake today we did 15 years ago. We get good affordable used EVs tomorrow by buying new ones today. Garbage today, Garbage tomorrow... let's stop manufacturing garbage today.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
If it wasn't for a TDI golf, I'd maybe do what I built for my sister, a 2006 mazda 3 hatch which had a 2.3 and 5 speed, but the engine was bad. I put a newer 2.5 liter engine in and it improved the power and fuel economy, my sister gets around 35-40 mpg and it'll scoot right along.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The Mazda 3s used to be quite attractive vehicles, imo. When I looked at the latest generation a few weeks ago I was disappointed. Maybe the driving dynamics are still great, but it looked bulbous and unappealing. That's one area where VW really nailed it. All of the Golfs have what I would call timeless good design.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My point is let's not make the same mistake today we did 15 years ago. We get good affordable used EVs tomorrow by buying new ones today. Garbage today, Garbage tomorrow... let's stop manufacturing garbage today.
You just have to be the person willing to take the hit on value by buying it new. Someone else will come along and reap the benefits.

Another

TDI
MK4 golf BEW + wagon ALH
I'd drive something converted on propane. I think an 2.5 rabbit would drive nice on propane but in Canada an conversion kit costs too much...
And i don't understend why the propane conversion here in N/A is as costly.
Few years back in Europe i had an MK2 k-jetronic converted on propane...i really miss that car wich i had for 15years...
So my answer: natural aspired engine on propane

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
Of all the cars I've owned and driven, a 2.5T awd Volvo S60 and a '93 saturn sw2 wagon are still fresh in memory.

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
The Mazda 3s used to be quite attractive vehicles, imo. When I looked at the latest generation a few weeks ago I was disappointed. Maybe the driving dynamics are still great, but it looked bulbous and unappealing. That's one area where VW really nailed it. All of the Golfs have what I would call timeless good design.
The skyactiv motors are much nicer than the older '01-13 mzr. Better torque power and economy. On cold start they almost sound like a diesel, which makes some sense given their 13:1 compression ratio. 2014 2016 is the sweet spot iirc for picking up an affordable 3. Earlier the engines suck like moz said. Later the styling gets more.. modern.

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
Last edited:

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
I found the public awareness drone of the Fisker Karma eerily awesome.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't think you'd want to retrofit an actual '66 Cobra. There'd be some really pissed blue oval guys if you did that (they don't give them away either). Fortunately, there are some really good Cobra kit cars available. I think you can even get one with a stamped metal body.

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
Supply v Demand. IMO its about time some of the classic 80's models start pulling high dollars. Muscle schmuscle.

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
Just wait a few years, in 2027 when every performance car is a battery laden behemoth with 800 foot pounds of torque and a 0-60 time of 3 seconds... What do you think is going to appeal to people's nostalgia more? A heavy torquey 1970's musclecar? OR a nimble little 84 GTI?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just wait a few years, in 2027 when every performance car is a battery laden behemoth with 800 foot pounds of torque and a 0-60 time of 3 seconds... What do you think is going to appeal to people's nostalgia more? A heavy torquey 1970's musclecar? OR a nimble little 84 GTI?
A new Camry/Accord is already quicker than most of the 70's muscle cars. I imagine there will always be greater nostalgia for classic Mustangs, Camaros, Roadrunners, etc. in this country. A mk1 or mk2 gti appeals to my nostalgia largely because that's what half the cars in my high school parking lot were back in the day.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
A number of cars that people now want as classics, I had an opportunity to test drive and consider buying when they were new: '84 GTI, Corrado, '04 R32 are three of the VWs. Didn't decide to buy them then, and I don't know that my opinion has changed. But maybe if I could find a pristine G60 Corrado I'd reconsider.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
Since we're on the subject of nostalgic VW's, I may become the most grateful owner of a rabbit pickup sometime next week. Finding one in decent condition and at justified price is becoming limited with every passing day 😇