If not a diesel, then what would you daily drive...

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
rollin in my two point oh, panoramic back so my hair can blow
Price out a 2017 Bolt versus a 2017 Cruze with similar mileage. I'm not saying electrics are without merit. I believe they have merit. What I am saying is, cost savings and greeniality are not their strongest merits. Even thought those are the two people tend to think of.

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (sold); 2012 Tesla Model S
Price out a 2017 Bolt versus a 2017 Cruze with similar mileage. I'm not saying electrics are without merit. I believe they have merit. What I am saying is, cost savings and greeniality are not their strongest merits. Even thought those are the two people tend to think of.
A used '17 cruz is ~$3k less than a '17 Bolt. You're gonna make up that difference in fuel and maintenance in < 3 years if you drive ~15k miles/yr.

And a Bolt can reduce how much surplus wind or solar energy is wasted... can't get any greener than that :)

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
Well if that is true I agree with you.

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
The point stands for new electrics. Often you get 5000 to 10000 discounted due to rebates, but the insured value and registration cost are based on the higher number.

I think the recall problems the Bolt had may have skewed the numbers to favor a used Bolt. Which is great if you're looking for one. I figured you could find a Cruze for about half of what a Bolt should be selling for. I guess I was mistaken about that.

On the thread topic.. I think 1.8t is hard to beat for a performance/economy compromise. Or the 1.4t if you're just on the economy side.. its basically a TDI by the mpg numbers. And power/torque/accel numbers.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
'91 Jetta, '91 GTI, '04 Touareg
I'm stating that EVs use 70% less energy per mile. 70% less energy is 70% less energy.

How 'green' they are is going to vary wildly depending on energy source. From close to the same emissions at the wrong time of day in West Virginia to effectively zero emissions if they're charged during a period of renewable curtailment. Can't get any 'greener' then using wind or solar that would have been wasted because it had no where to go. :)
Saved :) a bunch of typing. As for the bolt, I've seen only two since it's release to the public.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
:unsure:
So not only are people not comparing apples to apples, but they are also not even looking at all costs involved..... I guess negating the initial purchase price is somewhat understandable, but I can't follow how you get free home chargers\solar panels\wind mills\hydro dams, etc..... or am I the only one around who doesn't just have these (free) powerplants "kicking around"?

EVs are the future for sure... and they have potential.... and they can be great.... but until infrastructure\incentives\rebates\tax breaks\prices bring the costs down to probably 50% of what they are now, they will take FOR EVER to yield savings when all things are considered.

Now, if we were in Norway or some other place that really got their $h1t together like that to support EVs, then it would be a totally different discussion.

Enough barking for now..... @nwdiver - how's your battery degradation after almost a decade and that kind of milage? Will your battery last another decade? What's a battery replacement cost (if\when required)? Also, are you saying that your ownership cost has been free outside of charging and replacing tires unlike those of us driving oil burners who need to do additional fluid\filter changes, clutches, brakes, etc.?

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
So not only are people not comparing apples to apples, but they are also not even looking at all costs involved..... I guess negating the initial purchase price is somewhat understandable, but I can't follow how you get free home chargers\solar panels\wind mills\hydro dams, etc..... or am I the only one around who doesn't just have these (free) powerplants "kicking around"?

EVs are the future for sure... and they have potential.... and they can be great.... but until infrastructure\incentives\rebates\tax breaks\prices bring the costs down to probably 50% of what they are now, they will take FOR EVER to yield savings when all things are considered.

Now, if we were in Norway or some other place that really got their $h1t together like that to support EVs, then it would be a totally different discussion.

Enough barking for now..... @nwdiver - how's your battery degradation after almost a decade and that kind of milage? Will your battery last another decade? What's a battery replacement cost (if\when required)? Also, are you saying that your ownership cost has been free outside of charging and replacing tires unlike those of us driving oil burners who need to do additional fluid\filter changes, clutches, brakes, etc.?
Folks are writing off EV's as this savior of our planet when it is the low hanging fruit vs. much severe constants of negative C02 emission contributors. I see EV's as a capitalist marketing gag. Private jets should be grounded asap until everyone is clear of a collective solution.

If you truly care about the environment, then purchasing used vehicles creates a positive charge in containing the issue. Currently out of 600+ car manufacturers, only 46 have made the move to greener manufacturing protocols.

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
People overwhelmingly charge their cars at night. Not that it necessarily would be that tough to change this behavior but that is where its at.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
People overwhelmingly charge their cars at night. Not that it necessarily would be that tough to change this behavior but that is where its at.
See above about infrastructure and such.... it's hard to charge your EV at work, while shopping, during the day, etc. due to sparsity of charging network, long charge times due to weak chargers, time-of-use rates, yaddi, yaddy, yadda....

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
Exactly what I meant, I know first hand. I have access to Bolt Volt Tesla in my local family so I use them and am familiar with them all. I think its somewhat solvable since "work" usually means 6+ hours of a car sitting around during sun hours. And typical commute distances are low. Unless you're talking rural areas or delivery work or something. But as it is now there is no motive to even get people to want to charge during the day. Let alone infrastructure existent to handle it.

But that 1.4 TSI is something isn't it? Have you guys seen the numbers people are throwing down with those thigns?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Have no fear, the EV charging infrastructure will grow in direct correlation to EV adoption. There's a substantial infrastructure bill in progress right now. Change can be scary, but we all benefit from a cleaner environment and reduced carbon emissions.

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (sold); 2012 Tesla Model S

You've got the free energy in Ontario. Just have to use it. There aren't many things that can soak up surplus kWh at 2am. EVs are one of them.

Ontario Wasted More Than $1 Billion Worth of Clean Energy in 2016

My battery has degraded < 10% in 8 years and ~190k miles. I fully expect it will be will still be viable after another 10 years.

Also, are you saying that your ownership cost has been free outside of charging and replacing tires unlike those of us driving oil burners who need to do additional fluid\filter changes, clutches, brakes, etc.?
No. I also have to replace my windshield wipers and top up the washer fluid every year or so ;)

But that 1.4 TSI is something isn't it? Have you guys seen the numbers people are throwing down with those thigns?
But at what cost? If a used Bolt is ~$15k I can't see how a used 1.4TSI for >$10k is a better deal. The other great thing about EVs is that there's just a lot less that can go wrong. I had a friend at work wary about a used battery for some reason. Wouldn't an ICE be a lot easier to abuse than a battery? I know a lot of people that think changing oil is just a recommendation...

Last edited:

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah I'm not arguing that a used 1.4t manual wagon is a "better deal" than a used Bolt. Personally I'd rather have the wagon but I'm not here to tell anybody what the "better deal" is. I have logged many thousands of miles in Bolts FYI. Its a great car.

Its actually uncanny how close the 1.4t performance figures are to the TDI's. Look at 0-60, peak tq, peak hp, epa mpg... they all line up. That is what I am getting at, it seemed like the right thread topic to bring it up.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The torque figures don't really line up. The TDIs have about 30% more twist for a given power output. Quite a noticeable difference when you drive them back to back.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
I drove a brand new '13 VW JSW TDI 6M home - IIRC, I stalled it several times.
We all know (or should) about the emissions issue and VW. I liked how VW handled my situation.
They wrote me a check for what I paid the dealer (Tax, license and dork fee not included).

I got a 1.4/5M Jetta - brand new again - for a very, very LOW price.
It was a pleasant experience with this dealer - the sales guy came back from speaking to his
manager and told me "You have the highest credit score I've ever seen".......how bad is that?

Regret my babbling - but this little 1.4 has just captivated me since the summer of 2017.... Reliability, fuel numbers to die for........
My sole ***** is the selling dealer charges ridiculous prices for scheduled maintenance.....................

Sometime I do wish I'd waited for the 2019 1.4 wagon - then I say to myself: STFU - you DUMBASS!!

Ez

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My next will be a Ferrari SF90 Stradale. Or a Model S Plaid. Whichever I can get first. Just need to cash in my Dogecoin next week, lol.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
My next will be a Ferrari SF90 Stradale. Or a Model S Plaid. Whichever I can get first. Just need to cash in my Dogecoin next week, lol.
Very speed. Much wow...

For your future purchase, I have to make a case for the R8. While I don't think I could ever find myself to spend that type of money in a car even if I had it, I do see how Audi has created an absolute winner. They look so much better than cars twice the price. Then the duality of V10 performance and daily driver capabilities, it's worth it if you got the mula.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'd love to have a R8, but I couldn't bring myself to buy a new pure internal combustion vehicle. I was kidding about the Ferrari too, that's definitely not in my budget. But the Model S Plaid is within reach. With 1000 hp and acceleration on par with the SF90, it's tempting.

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
2022 Polestar 2 BEV - Current, 2021 Q5 55e PHEV - Retired, 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI - Retired, 2013 Golf TDI - Retired
I'd love to have a R8, but I couldn't bring myself to buy a new pure internal combustion vehicle. I was kidding about the Ferrari too, that's definitely not in my budget. But the Model S Plaid is within reach. With 1000 hp and acceleration on par with the SF90, it's tempting.
The model S plaid is a fast car. It is battery electric and fairly efficient. I would just caution you on the performance numbers. The ones on the site are basically a disingenuous as they dont count the first foot on the 0-60 like motor trend does on drag race numbers. The plad says < 1.99s but engineering explained says it's likely closer to 2.2s. That's stupidly fast still. Just buy knowing the overmarketing... like the EPA range numbers are supposed to be a bit inflated, but even so they are still more than other manufacturers. I like to read between the lines.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's an insanely fast car. Like hypercar fast. 2 seconds, 2.1 seconds- who cares? You almost need barf bags in the car at that rate of acceleration. 1/4 mile in 9.23s, top speed 200 mph. Demand for the plaid is going to be through the roof.

I don't see anything disingenuous on the site. There's an asterisk next to the 1.99s 0-60 figure that references the deducted rollout.

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
2022 Polestar 2 BEV - Current, 2021 Q5 55e PHEV - Retired, 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI - Retired, 2013 Golf TDI - Retired
It's an insanely fast car. Like hypercar fast. 2 seconds, 2.1 seconds- who cares? You almost need barf bags in the car at that rate of acceleration. 1/4 mile in 9.23s, top speed 200 mph. Demand for the plaid is going to be through the roof.

I don't see anything disingenuous on the site. There's an asterisk next to the 1.99s 0-60 figure that references the deducted rollout.
That's more or less what I said. I will clarify just incase. Showing 0-60 with subtracted rollout is disingenuous. Does literally any other mainstream vehicle manufacturer do that? No. That is the definition of deceptive marketing. You know where that asterix does not exist on the build page. But before Engineering Explains video. They infact DIDNT have the asterix btw. Because when the video came out I checked the site because my thought was "Clearly there is an error, Tesla wasn't trying to mislead people into believing they are getting the first sub 2s 0-60 vehicle right?". But I did and still say it's a stupid fast car, and just the fact that it is a new p100d top variant it will sell crazy well.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Even if it's 3 sec to 60, who needs that? How often will you use that? I am repeatedly surprised at how quickly I can move along my 100 HP (with tune) Passat or 119 HP Mercedes. None of my cars are "fast" by current standards (except maybe the 335d), but I rarely drive them flat out.

In response to the thread question, I'd probably grab a 1.4T Golf with a manual before they go away. That's as much, if not more, car than I can use.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
Even if it's 3 sec to 60, who needs that? How often will you use that? I am repeatedly surprised at how quickly I can move along my 100 HP (with tune) Passat or 119 HP Mercedes. None of my cars are "fast" by current standards (except maybe the 335d), but I rarely drive them flat out.

In response to the thread question, I'd probably grab a 1.4T Golf with a manual before they go away. That's as much, if not more, car than I can use.
Numbers and bragging rights sell has been selling since the vehicle was invented. Then there's the offhand lambo stuck in traffic and I just don't get why someone would trade their comfortability and the visual aspect of driving for the cause of making a statement. So in those regards Tesla's do make a lot of sense. I have less of a problem with EV's now that I know battery production will be handled nationally.

As for the t'reg, I have to retract it as my go to daily driver. Its just too heavy and wastes so much gas: The downfall of this pothole conquistador.

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
Numbers and bragging rights sell has been selling since the vehicle was invented. Then there's the offhand lambo stuck in traffic and I just don't get why someone would trade their comfortability and the visual aspect of driving for the cause of making a statement. So in those regards Tesla's do make a lot of sense. I have less of a problem with EV's now that I know battery production will be handled nationally.

As for the t'reg, I have to retract it as my go to daily driver. Its just too heavy and wastes so much gas: The downfall of this pothole conquistador.
Agree on both. That's why I got the q5 55e. 0-60 in 4.82s tested by most journalists. Way more than fast enough. I dont know... I could always get something quicker or longer range. But it meets my needs just fine. Thing is you only get the full performance in dynamic. In the other modes it's more like 6s, 7s but it also gets crazy mileage for what it is. I have many trips over 300mpg, or no mileage at all because I dont use the gas at all. We did a long trip this weekend and the highway mileage came out at 31mpg... with 20" summer tires... so I'll take it....Haha. I will say this vehicle is making me dislike full electrics less... I figured there would be no noise or drama and refused. But the phev is doing what its supposed to... potential stepping stone...

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'd also agree, bragging rights sells cars. That kind of hypercar performance is good for rollercoaster like thrills, but there is no practical use for it outside the race track or drag strip. I think bragging rights mean a lot in the $100k+ luxury & sports car markets, especially. For those who want hypercar killing performance and cutting edge tech at 1/5 the hypercar cost- the plaid Model S is an attractive proposition.

The entire car sales industry is disingenuous at times. Let's not forget why new TDIs are no longer available here. I'd say that little episode was many orders of magnitude more disingenuous than a missing asterisk.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
I want to do an LS3 into a 911 swap.
Whoa. Never thought of that or knew that was a thing to do with 911's.

Before I go down that rabbit hole, I wanted to mention that in NYC there are now more 20-30mph speed cams on the roads than yellow cabs. I've yet to see a Tesla burn down the road here but it's good to know if the owner wanted to, they could 😐

Last edited:

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Whoa. Never thought of that or knew that was a thing to do with 911's.

Before I go down that rabbit hole, I wanted to mention that in NYC there are now more 20-30mph speed cams on the roads than yellow cabs. I've yet to see a Tesla burn down the road here but it's good to know if the owner wanted to, they could 😐
Speaking of burning down the road... Have you heard about putting out a fire in an electric vehicle? It takes approximately 30,000 gallons of water to extinguish and cool down a Tesla, unlike a internal combusted vehicle that takes maybe 1000 gallons.