If I lift 2", really, what's needed?

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Rescuefireman15 said:
If I may add my 2 cents. I just orders Bilstein HD's all around and will be ordering 2" lift from Kevin from Coilsprings @ ~$250 front and ~$250 rear. He doesn't have my set of springs on file so I will have to order one spring for the front and rear at ~$80 per. This is his cost wholesale for the exact spring on my car. I still think that part is a rip off, but when your spending over $1000.00 whats an extra 160 i guess. I can send before and after pics to whom ever needs them, but I won't be doing this for a few weeks. Let me know if anyone else has spec on file somewhere else for Jetta 03?
What specs do you need? Color codes and corresponding spring rates are posted elsewhere in this thread. I have my original springs, but they are off a 2000 New Beetle so I'm not sure that would help much. NB rear springs run a bit short from my understanding. Not sure about the fronts.

I would definitely be interested in seeing pics and to hear how the ride and handling is affected. Can I ask why you are going with longer springs rather than a Metalnerd lift kit?

vk_bigTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDi
I'm not looking to spent over 1000 plus 160,
With what I got right now I'm pretty much satisfied.

BEFORE

AFTER

And new self made hitch

Last edited:

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Metalnerd 2" lift is $300 with $100 deposit for alignment data after installation. So get it aligned (which you need anyways) and get $100 back. Lift cost: $200.

I got my VR6 springs for $50 on the vortex. The spendy part was the Koni Reds, but that was my choice and I needed new dampers anyways.

whalleyz

TDI
2003 Jetta GL Wagon Auto
2003 Jetta Wagon

My wagon has 85k miles and the original struts and shocks were tired. Combined with the OM1 auto-trans and Panzer plate the front was pretty low, wallowed around corners, and required a lot of care to avoid hard scrapes on city streets much less country roads. I read through a ton of posts and PM'd a few folks for advice and finally landed on a solution that provides a practical amount of clearance but not enough to ruin reliability of the stock geometry and parts. All told, I got about 1.125" more clearance from the suspension upgrade and I expect to get another 1" when the new tires (205/70r15) arrive next week.
Before

After

Parts
  • 1 x Bilstein HD strut/shock set
  • 2 x VR6 front springs
  • 2 x new strut mounts
  • 2 x 10mm VW spacers (for front struts)
  • 2 x Autotech 3/4" rear spring spacer
Thanks to...
  • the many folks who posted about their suspension and lift projects
  • krmason and rperks for sharing notes about their lift projects
Links
Here are some of the links I found most interesting/helpful during this project:
Keywords
jetta, a4, 2003, mk4, mkiv, bora, volkswagen, vw, wagon

Last edited:

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
Looking to raise my MK IV wagon as well! Thank you for all your posts and solutions.

Smokin Joe

TDI
2006 Beetle, 2013 Golf
I can tell you that the Bilstein TC's are compatible. In talking to Chuck @metalnerd.com, he said that most folks used the TC's and liked them. I personally don't have them and can't answer for their performance. My installer used KYB's, and I really dislike how soft they are. Full compression of the front end is too easily reached with the smallest of dips.

-jeremy

JMan (or anyone who knows): Are Bilstein HD's compatible with a spacer lift on the front? Apparently they are not compatible with the Metalnerd front spacer lift. Not sure why. Are they (Bilstein HD's) compatible with any spacer lift on the front? If not, why not (if anyone knows).

Thanks,

Smokin Joe