If I lift 2", really, what's needed?

TDI
2003 Jetta
JMan said:
I called Dynachrome directly and they do not sell thru to end users. They did say that Advance Auto Parts carries these, and I called my local store in Ft. Collins and sure enough, they do. They were roughly $6 for a pack of 4. I picked up 2 packs tonight. I would imagine that most Advance stores around the country will stock these.
:) Jeremy

Did you get them installed?

kirmet

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Galactic Blue
Is metal nerd te only making lift kits besides the rubber spring bumpers?

thermopylaetech

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Variant TDi/PD
Just a word of caution here, having used the dynachrome units. They are not really intended for what you guys are proposing. These units are intended to stiffen up a failing spring and run a VERY high risk of materialy failing due to questionable construction or comming free.

The better bet is to contact a spring vendor and have the correct rate spring wound up in a longer over coil height.

Relocating the suspension points lower in space will also achieve roughly the same result without degrading performance too much.

The ultimate answer of course is still to build a correctled rated spring and damper system to account for the rise in center of gravity and arc length of stroke.

That said I think I've finaly found a suitable theme for "The Deisel Weisel!" and may embark on just this type of project.

B100

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
thermopylaetech said:
Yeah that is strange.

Surely someone must know!
I heard back from MetalNerd. It seems the ESP sensors detect a sense of "tilt" when the arms and links are stretched out... this on installs by competent mechanics. Seems odd to me, the sensors should be good for the full travel of the suspension. I am really and truly bummed, for I love the ESP option, yet want a lifted car. Guess I'll just put the Panzer plate on and live with low clearance. :(

JMan

TDI
Jetta '03TDI Silver, Jetta '01 TDI Black
points said:
Did you get them installed?
Nope, no time to install them, but after thermopylaetech's message about the longevity and durability of the rubber stops, I am very skeptical to switch over. It's been about a month now using the MetalNerd 2" lift spacers, and it's a love/hate relationship. The rear of the car handles so much better, the rear Bilstein HD's really make a difference. The front KYB struts just don't cut it. The smallest bump or dip causes the car to clunk hard when the shock travel reaches the end. Dammmm ... I really want to put my front Bilstein HD's back on, while finding a solution that gives the 2" lift.

A different spring sounds like a good way to go. Anybody have any experience / luck with a longer spring that should give it more lift?

-Jeremy

Last edited:

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...
My spring helpers appear to be doing just fine. I am using 3 per spring and do recall the tdi weighing a bit less than a full sized pickup truck (that these were intended for).

mr.mindless

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Galactic Blue Jetta GLS
a taller spring will give you the same "topping" (as opposed to bottoming) problem you have with the lift's spacers. The "right" solution is a longer strut with a spacer or taller spring, or a means to space out the strut from either the mounting cup or knuckle. Either of these is easier said than done but anything else puts you very close to the edge of travel so you have drastically more compression availible than extension. Not ideal, to say the least.

I still have not had a chance to do my struts, and won't get a chance before tdifest, so sorry-but no report on the possibility of a mild lift of a wagon spring yet.

JMan

TDI
Good information. Seems like the right path is to somehow get those Bilstein HD's back in the front, as they are much stiffer and their range of travel is reduced overall (especially in a passenger car). The Bilstein HD's alone give about a 1" lift over stock. This implies removing the 2" lift spacers as the HD's don't work with that. Slave2school has had continued success with the rubber spring spacers, so maybe try adding those and see how that handles.

Hmmm... now to find someone locally that does suspension work that is willing to experiment ...

JMan

TDI
thermopylaetech said:
Just a word of caution here, having used the dynachrome units. They are not really intended for what you guys are proposing. These units are intended to stiffen up a failing spring and run a VERY high risk of materialy failing due to questionable construction or comming free.

The better bet is to contact a spring vendor and have the correct rate spring wound up in a longer over coil height.

Relocating the suspension points lower in space will also achieve roughly the same result without degrading performance too much.

The ultimate answer of course is still to build a correctled rated spring and damper system to account for the rise in center of gravity and arc length of stroke.

That said I think I've finaly found a suitable theme for "The Deisel Weisel!" and may embark on just this type of project.
Keep me posted on "The Deisel Weisel" project ... I'll be interested in what you can fab up! :cool::cool:

JungleDeath

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf_11 JSW
mr.mindless said:
I still have not had a chance to do my struts, and won't get a chance before tdifest, so sorry-but no report on the possibility of a mild lift of a wagon spring yet.
:( Bummer. I'm dyin' to see what happens.

I'm thinking by end October, early November I will go with a custom set of coil springs right before I get new tires. 1.5" up front and 1" in back.

Have fun at the Fest.

:)

mr.mindless

Veteran Member
TDI
what I'm dying for is seeing if my 245/45r18s are going to be too wide to fit or not. especially with the baldies I'm running now!

Oh well, I'll swap the good tires to the front for the autoX at the Fest and wipe those out too, and come back for some new shoes. I was hoping these would last me until snow tire season but no such luck...

thermopylaetech

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Variant TDi/PD
JMan said:
Keep me posted on "The Deisel Weisel" project ... I'll be interested in what you can fab up! :cool::cool:
Well after some real serious discussion, the AWD option is sidelined until I can go an get an AWD chassis. Thats big by large cash.

And with turbo failure being what it is right now I have no time or cash to direct towards it.

But... once things ease up i should be able to do some fun stuff.

KiTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2002 dark blue - Sold
Sorry for a newbie question. I am just wondering a coilover set, like the PSS9 or sth will be able to lift the car. I know for sure they can lower it (well, i have seem it). But in terms of lifting the car, would those coilover can do that?? How much can they lift?? B/c i am thinking this maybe the way to lift while maintaining the amount of travel.

How about the ppl who are really rallying. What kind of suspension they use?? I think they raise their car a bit for more ground clearance. Correct me if i am wrong.

Thanks

mr.mindless

Veteran Member
TDI
KiTDI said:
Sorry for a newbie question. I am just wondering a coilover set, like the PSS9 or sth will be able to lift the car. I know for sure they can lower it (well, i have seem it). But in terms of lifting the car, would those coilover can do that?? How much can they lift?? B/c
They are all geared toward dropping the vehicle. I investigated one setup and the highest it would go is about a 1/2" drop from stock. It's highly likely that something could be adapted though, but just like my desires for a longer strut - even though it's very likely out there it'll take research and investigation at least, if not some trial and error, to find it.

i am thinking this maybe the way to lift while maintaining the amount of travel.
agreed.

mel72349

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 New Beetle manual
Another approach - maybe

I've been interested for some time in improving the suspension on our 2K6 New Beetle TDI. Ideally, I want 1-2" more ground clearance, longer suspension travel and ride that's not too much firmer than OEM.

We do a 90 miles-per-day commute of mixed highway (70+ mph) and some pretty nasty urban cut-n-thrust, with a full assortment of crumbling asphalt, potholes, giant ripples, sharp ridges and the occasional chunk of rock. FYI, we have a Panzer Plate which has saved our oil pan more than once already.

I've found a source for longer custom springs and want to match them with a set of Koni FSDs. My question is, will the FSDs accommodate a 1-2" ride height increase? Any other issues I need to consider?

Appreciate your thoughts.

JMan

TDI
I am working with Kevin @Coilsprings.com to determine the correct custom front spring replacement that will give a 2" lift and stiffer handling. Unfortunately for a 2001 Jetta TDI sedan, there are 22 possible springs that VW shipped with for the fronts. It's all based off of the paint codes that are marked on the spring. My paint codes are 2 green marks followed by 2 pink marks. THey are very easy to see.

Kevin does not have a sample of this in house, and requires one in order to do some load/response testing of the spring in order to find a compatible match that gives the 2" lift and stiffer handling.

Either I take one off my vehicle and send it to him for analysis, or I pay $99 for him to buy one from VW and do the testing. So .... does anyone out there have a spare OEM spring (perhaps from doing a lowering kit) with 2 green marks followed by 2 pink ones? If so, would you be willing to let me borrow it for this experiment? I will pay for S/H to have this done.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Bora_Bora

TDI
'03 Jetta
Will the Bilstein TC VR6 set work with the MetalNerd 2" lift? I was considering ordering these from tdiparts.com Anyone with the VR6 TC and 2" lift have any comments about the handling?

mel72349

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 New Beetle manual
JMan said:
I am working with Kevin @Coilsprings.com to determine the correct custom front spring replacement that will give a 2" lift and stiffer handling. Jeremy
Hello JMan: This sounds encouraging and I'd be interested in buying both fronts and rears if Kevin develops them.

So for you, how firm is firm? Are you looking for a bit more than OEM, or something better suited for auto-cross? FYI, I don't mind a little firmer, but don't want a bone-jarring ride. :eek:

mr.mindless

Veteran Member
TDI
mel72349 said:
Hello JMan: This sounds encouraging and I'd be interested in buying both fronts and rears if Kevin develops them.

I would also seriously consider a pure spring solution depending on price, but proper damper length is critical and that, for me, is a question that must be answered first. (the rears would be very easy to cross reference, I'm certain)

JMan

TDI
I am looking for a bit stiffer than stock, but not super heavy duty. The key here is to get Kevin @coilsprings.com a set of front springs (and rears for those that are interested) so he can deliver the correct replacements. I'd volunteer my vehicle for this, but I cannot afford to be out a vehicle for a week or so, and that is why I am looking for someone that has a set of extra springs to send to Kevin for analysis. Not sure how much variation is out there, but my 2001 has 2 greens and 2 pinks for the fronts. Once he has a sample, he can easily deliver whatever lift you want, and whatever stiffness / softness over OEM you want.

Any volunteers? Anyone have spare springs to send Kevin for this experiment?

thanks,
Jeremy

JMan

TDI
Bora_Bora said:
Will the Bilstein TC VR6 set work with the MetalNerd 2" lift? I was considering ordering these from tdiparts.com Anyone with the VR6 TC and 2" lift have any comments about the handling?
I can tell you that the Bilstein TC's are compatible. In talking to Chuck @metalnerd.com, he said that most folks used the TC's and liked them. I personally don't have them and can't answer for their performance. My installer used KYB's, and I really dislike how soft they are. Full compression of the front end is too easily reached with the smallest of dips.

-jeremy

mr.mindless

Veteran Member
TDI
the 1.8t wagon springs I have are 2pink + 1purple and 3blue. I dont know what year car they are out of. I got hem hoping for a bit of extra height but have not yet tested even the rears.

If shipping could be covered I'd volunteer their use.

Bora_Bora

TDI
'03 Jetta
Whats the biggest size tire you can put on a 15" rim that wont rub the wheel wells in turns or hard bumps with the 2" lift. I would like to put a on/off road tire. Would hub spacers help?

mr.mindless

Veteran Member
TDI
mr.mindless said:
General Grabber AT2:
205/75r15 - untested
Diameter: 26.8"
Tread Width unlisted
Cross Section (on 5.5" rim): 8"
Tread Depth: 14/32"

Bridgestone Dueler A/T D693:
205/70r15 - untested
Diameter: 27.1"
Tread Width: 6.1"
Cross Section (on 5.5" rim): 7.9"
Tread Depth: 12/32"
Kumho Road Venture MT KL71:
235/75r15 - untested (probably NOT, bud damn I wanna try!)
Diameter: 27.7"
Tread Width: 8.5"
Cross Section not listed
Tread Depth: probably 15/32"

These would be my suggestions from much earlier in the thread (and I wonder why threads here get so long.... 'cause people never search but it's not acceptible to browbeat them for it.....)

JMan

TDI
Bora_Bora said:
If I get the Bilstein T/C, should I replace the stock coils I had with the 2" lift aswell?
My experience has been bad with the 2" Metalnerd spacer, stock coils, and KYB front struts. The lift looks great, but the travel is severely reduced to the point where small dips easily go beyond the limited travel. Perhaps the Bilstein T/C is a stiffer strut that will give better performance.

I want to pursue a pure coil solution for 2 reasons - (1) More travel for the strut, and (2) ability to put my Bilstein HD's on the front again.

In answer to your question, no - you should keep the stock coil if you want to go with the Metalnerd lift.

-Jeremy

mr.mindless

Veteran Member
TDI
is there something inherent with the MN lift that limits droop that a longer coil would circumvent? I can't imagine a solution that would result in that, and I thought it was just a spacer that effectively makes the coil taller at static height, but pictures of those lifts are famously absent...

JMan

TDI
mr.mindless said:
is there something inherent with the MN lift that limits droop that a longer coil would circumvent? I can't imagine a solution that would result in that, and I thought it was just a spacer that effectively makes the coil taller at static height, but pictures of those lifts are famously absent...
I admit to having very little working knowledge of suspensions. I will see if I can take a picture of what the front end looks like with the spacer in place. I don't know if a pure coil solution is better than the OEM coil plus spacer, but I do know that I'll be able to use my Bilstein HD's again with a coil-only solution.

-Jeremy