If I didn't have bad luck....

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
As the title says, and hopefully it is true that bad luck only comes in 3's, I figured I would fill everyone in on my escapades of the past couple weeks.

So the first event started on Friday 7/24. While driving at lunch the CEL lit up. Took it in on Monday and had it scanned and found the code for the AdBlue heater failure. Sigh :( I figured it would happen sooner or later but at least I made it 175,000 miles before it bit the dust. Well it isn't going to freeze anytime soon so I can push this off for awhile.

Things seem to be going ok but on the way home on Thursday 7/30 I suddenly had a vibration and thumping sound. Thought it might be a tire that popped so got off the interstate and looked. Nope, all tires are fine. So got back on the road and the vibration was gone but I had a scrapping sound when the car would "bottom out" on bumps. Checked it out and found the belly pan under the engine had come off on one side and was hanging down. Naturally it had gotten broken up by this time but with the help of a friend we zip-tied it back up so it would be ok until the next service time when I could replace it.

But things really went south the next day when on my way home I heard a little psstt and then went into limp mode with the flashing glowplug light. Crap! Towed the car into the shop over the weekend and they checked it out. Naturally it was the turbo - ARGH!!:mad:

So ended up having them replace the turbo and belly pan. The AdBlue heater can wait some more. So $3,700 later and I'm back on the road. Been driving it some this past week and everything seems to be working ok.

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
I'm actually grateful to see a turbo replacement was that reasonable. If I can't get away from this car fast enough I've got at least one benchmark for cost on the turbo, thanks.

TheGrove

TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
I'm not deleting the DPF as I am not going to run an illegal car on the highway. Besides the DPF has nothing to do with the AdBlue system.

The turbo by itself was $918. VW Tech Line also recommended replacing the oil pump in these cases so that added another $370. Add in some various oil tubes and a sensor, don't forget they had to replace the belly tray ($259) the parts total came to $2,373.

Yes 175,000 is pretty good. I used to do more when I commuted 5 days a week (250 miles/day). But now I only commute 4 days so it saves about 10,000 miles/year.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
You sure are getting a lot of use out of your Passat. I'm glad to hear that it's back on the road. :cool:

gncc600

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Passat SE DSG
Good benchmark for the DSG. Assuming regular 40K services only and no issues?

TheGrove

TDI
Yes maintenance done at the proper intervals. Oilhammer has done all of the 40k/dsg service intervals plus the timing belt at 120K. Only other issue was last summer when the wiring harness chafed thru and I had to get it replaced.

I'm not complaining, I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

Random_Vibration

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI (6MT, LP, Driver Assist)
175,000 miles....I would think your luck has been rather decent. At that mileage, expect other things to wear or fail in the near future.

TheGrove

TDI
Oh no doubt :) I'm already on my 4th set of tires, replaced the rear brakes at 170k figure the fronts will be anytime now. DEF heater is bad - waiting until Thanksgiving to fix. I have a headrest where the leather has cracked, oh well. And I'm sure other things that I either haven't noticed or am just not caring about. Hopefully I'll get as many miles out of this one as I did my B5.5 which was 270k before I wrecked it.