Identifying a noise in a 2003 jetta wagon manual

Talon

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon ALH, 2013 tdi sportwagen
I was on a trip about 2000+ miles on the way home I started to hear a chugging noise while decelerating in gear on downhill stretchs. Thought it was a wheel bearing, got home and jacked it up but there is no sound while running in gear. Now I am unsure if it it a clutch/throw out or a cv joint. All the boots are in good shape so there is nothing to see but I get no play trying to turn them by hand while tires are off the ground. Help is appreciated.
Talon

Talon

TDI
Is there anything in the transmision that could cause a noise like a warped rotor while decelerating in gear, but not on the brakes.
Talon

Talon

TDI
No shaking of any kind just the noise. Just under 200k. I have no records for any work done prior to the last 7500 miles. Sound is loud when allowing engine braking, goes away when coasting in neutral.
Talon

Last edited:

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Inner CV joint? Try giving the car a load under reverse and see if you get the noise. It might be that someone swapped the CV joints, which places the bad race faces on the rear side: things are quieter going forward, but since those surfaces are now being engaged when going in reverse the noise will appear when going in reverse. My theory here is that backing off, "engine braking" as you put it, loads up the backsides of those races just like if you were in reverse. Worth a check/test.

Talon

TDI
I'll try the reverse test. As for the DMF I will say I do not recognize the acronym. Thank you all for the help. Talon

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I'll try the reverse test. As for the DMF I will say I do not recognize the acronym. Thank you all for the help. Talon
DMF = Dual Mass Flywheel