ID Parts Non Price Matching Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
I really like ID Parts and have bought from them for years and will do so again. But a recent experience left me unhappy.

I needed a window regulator and found that AutohauzAZ sold the same part as ID Parts did for about $5 less. I called and asked them to meet this price and was told that they don’t price match AutohauzAZ because their prices fluctuate so much.

For $5 it would have fostered better customer good will than refusing. If ID wants to have a price match policy, it should follow through and honor that policy.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Would you part with the $5 for a vendor that supports Fred's, creates how-to videos for TDIs, will offer advice on parts and maintenace by phone or email, and can answer TDI questions specific to your model and situation?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I wasn’t aware that idparts matched prices to begin with. It doesn’t matter to me if they don’t, they have earned my trust, certainly that’s worth $5 perhaps more. Why even bother calling and jacking someone up for such a small amount? Just buy it where you found it cheapest and be done with it.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
As I said, I’ve bought from Fred for years. Let’s circle the wagons, boys!

I did buy from AutohauzAZ and saved money. I’ll never really be able to compare prices since ID wouldn’t give me one.

You may now resume the petty bickering.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Would you part with the $5 for a vendor that supports Fred's, creates how-to videos for TDIs, will offer advice on parts and maintenace by phone or email, and can answer TDI questions specific to your model and situation?
No question that these add a ton of value. Some I didn’t know about. Still, ID Parts is generally a little more expensive than many vendors. I’m loyal in large measure, but I’m more loyal to my wallet.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
As I said, I’ve bought from Fred for years. Let’s circle the wagons, boys!

I did buy from AutohauzAZ and saved money. I’ll never really be able to compare prices since ID wouldn’t give me one.

You may now resume the petty bickering.
K- Your post is confusing. Petty bickering? I don't think there has been any bickering. Your first post was a legitimate concern about price matching. My response, and that of others, is simply that you some times pay for more than just the item you ordered. Your loyalty to your wallet is understandable, but how many times has Fred's (this site) or Peter (IDParts) helped you out? Honestly, when I see a thread where your name is the OP, I generally know it's going to be a question or a request for how-to instructions, from oil, to gelling, to coolant, sun visors, 3rd brake light, POR15, belly pans, wet carpet, bulbs, wipers, etc. How much help have you received from the club or vendors that support Fred's? Is it worth a little extra to have that support? It doesn't mean you need to buy every item from these vendors, but if it's a matter of a few bucks, I wonder if those vendors and Fred's hasn't already paid that forward?

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You raise at least a couple of good points. Like I said, I didn’t know that Fred and Co. provided all this information. I don’t think I’ve ever asked them for any. I’ve gotten lots of amazing help from other TDIClub members who were not identified as vendors. I’ve even offered advice to others. This is, after all, a huge part of why this site exists.

Yes, ID Parts deserves support. No, their prices aren’t excessively higher than many. I have bought lots of things from them so I can’t be accused of not being supportive. And no doubt I will again. But I saved money buying somewhere else. Strong beliefs and ideology are wonderful. And perhaps you’re less financially stressed than me. I hope so. But money talks, as the saying goes. I regret that you have an issue with me getting the best price I can find.

Status
Not open for further replies.