i

tam4

Veteran Member
Excellent pics!!!

I can't wait to read Ric's reply to documented evidence.

I noticed a considerable performance difference after I cleaned mine as well.

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf GLS, '03 Wagon GL
mbciii, thanks for posting the fine pics and rundown of mickey's IC procedure; together they make an excellent guide for truly a DIY job! Give yourselves a big pat on the back.

TDIsmokin

Veteran Member
I cant THANK YOU guys enough for posting those very clear pictures and explanations. WOW what a breeze and what an eye opener.
How often would you do this??
This is truly a great website full of greta advice.
Mickey's explanations were great but this is sooo nice to see it done.
Love it.
I might even try it myself in a few months. Now if I can just find a used hoist cheap for my garage???
Graet stuff. We need more stuff like this with photos as it is sometimes really hard to understand the way to do things that are suggested without photos for dummies.
TDIsmokin
Claude

BRUSSELS BELGIAN

Old Whig
TDI
1997 Passat TDI
Ladies and Gentleman: Observe closely the car on the far left, the 1997 Passat TDI. IF I decide to attend the GTG in Carolina, you are looking at the undisputed fuel economy AND performance champion (with a few modifications between now and September).

JLL

Veteran Member
There is a good chance Ric does not have a gunked up ic. Blow by from the rings are responsable for the gunk out of the PCV valve. Those that run their cars hard all the time are running higher cylinder pressure this leads to more blow by. Ric and other mileage kings and queens do not generate large amounts of blow by or gunk due to the low output needs of the engine.

S

SkyPup

Super nice story and pics showing how simple it is to keep your TDI in tip top shape.
Ric's TDI is 10 times more gunked up than this, I guarantee it due to the fact that he never changes his oil and depletes all the additives and therefore all the Novak volatility has burnt off it into the intercooler. Ric's intercooler is like a pig in a poke, covered with crap and loving every minute of it

Thanks alot for posting the pics of the intercooler clean up, alot of folks can easily do this themselves!

Ric Woodruff

BANNED, Ric went to Coventry.
Intercooler cleaning party?

------------------
Ric Woodruff

Braumeister von Sehr Gutem Bier
Since the Last Millennium

1998 Jetta TDI Sport

"A man who stands for nothing will fall for anything"

S

SkyPup

For Ric's intercooler cleaning party you will need a chisel and sledgehammer too, probably easier just to but a new unit and replace the contaiminated gunked up one.

Ric Woodruff

BANNED, Ric went to Coventry.
My soon-to-be-posted photos of an untouched intercooler with 70,000+ miles on it will be the proof-in-the-pudding.

S

SkyPup

You must be an EXPERT at Adobe PhotoShop to get your intercooler photos looking spic n' span after 80,000 of using crappy fuel and extended oil filter and oil changes. Does your PCV valve still work?

How is it that you are so certain that indeed your intercooler is super clean after 80,000 chugging miles when you have never even see it to begin with? Dumb logic?

valois

Banned
mbciii, I agree, beautiful pictures, I found the perfect use for the PCV port on the intake, propane injection point
, I now use propane as an intercooler cleaning agent. How could it be a party without naked women and HowardZ? Bring them rides down to Carolina, we need to setup a maintenance period. I'll check and see if I can talk a local garage into renting some bay time.

valois

Banned
Great picture! Looks like good "clean" fun to me.
But, sorry, it just ain't going to be a party without the ZMan.

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
Flame suit on.

Question: Does anyone know anything about cleaning the intercooler on the 1.8T engine? I assume that the PVC has to remain stock on the gasser, to pass emissions.)

My "friend" wanted to know.

------------------
Rob
2000 Golf GLS TDI (K&N air filter, MAF & airbox screens removed)
2000 Passat GLS Variant 1.8T

M

mickey

rgoetz: Just guessing here, but the procedure should be practically identical. And you CAN run with a disconnected PCV until you need to go in for an emissions test. Just make sure you have it hooked up any time a mechanic will be looking at your engine. Same thing goes for TDIs, too.

-mickey