I want to find a way to mount these lights....

Timpackman

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI - 5spd, 2011 JSW 6spd Manual
Hey folks,

Does anyone know if these would fit in the factory foglight position if I fabricated a mount?

Or

Does anyone know of a small light bar for the JSW?

Thanks
Tim

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
You could probably find someone selling a set of OEM fogs on Vortex.

Otherwise, as others have said, there's no good/easy way to mount those. I suppose you could fab up a bracket to mount them on top of the bumper in front of the grill, but they'd look even tackier there.

StaceyS

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
I could see them being mounted in the main center grill, either side of the license plate (sorta like what Ford did on their Superduty trucks), but I think you'd have quite a bit of fab work to integrate them into the factory location.

Biggest challenge - at the factory location, the front of the car is not perpedicular to the line of travel, its closer to 35 degrees off to either side. So, you either need to mount these way back inside the housing and have a big hole (or fab a clear cover), or an edge will stick out.

I wouldn't consider these DRLs either. These are more like LED powered auxiliary lights. You'll want to be very careful about aiming these to prevent blinding on-coming traffic.

I had some rectangular Hella off-road lights that fit the factory location of the Bosch fog lights my previous Volvo had. I ended up not using them much because they were too bright. I could really only comfortably use them in the middle of nowhere, otherwise I was just blinding everyone around. It would be a bummer to put all the effort into getting these mounted nicely only to discover that you're pissing everyone off with them.

StaceyS

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
Tim, what's your goal here? DRLs or turning night into day?

If I had to choose, I'd probably look at the 6" or shorter light bars, and I'd get them with a narrow, confined beam so I'm not blinding people, and I'd use them only in adverse conditions, not as DRLs.

Slo, maybe gut the factory fog, use its lens and mount to match up with the factory grill insert...

m_skena

Veteran Member
TDI
Not Any More!
Maybe you should put a brush guard on. Put all the lights you want on there. Give it a lift too, that might look cool? Maybe some Mickeys on 33s?

BMLO13

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Sportwagon
Maybe you should put a brush guard on. Put all the lights you want on there. Give it a lift too, that might look cool? Maybe some Mickeys on 33s?
Mickeys on 33s? Might want to rethink that.