I want hear the turbo

Teedeeiii

TDI
2.0tdi
Hi all!
Maybe a fun question...
I have a 2011 Crafter 2.0tdi with 109hp.
I have tooked away and deleted the dpf and egr.
And ecu is remapped.
Still I don't have almost any turbo whistling sound.
What is the easiest and simpliest way to make the turbo whistling sound louder?

I have also the LT35 2.5tdi (5cylinder) from 1998 and the turbo sound Is really nice and noticeable. But not in a Crafter...

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Run the exhaust through the hood? They're a small turbo they aren't going to make a whole lot of noise.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Turn the volume up to 11 and rip the knob off!

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
'91 Jetta, '91 GTI, '04 Touareg
Turbo whistles! They go in the exhaust tip 😄

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Hi all!
Maybe a fun question...
I have a 2011 Crafter 2.0tdi with 109hp.
I have tooked away and deleted the dpf and egr.
And ecu is remapped.
Still I don't have almost any turbo whistling sound.
What is the easiest and simpliest way to make the turbo whistling sound louder?

I have also the LT35 2.5tdi (5cylinder) from 1998 and the turbo sound Is really nice and noticeable. But not in a Crafter...
well too bad.
that sounds is due to very poor choices in performance, like a cold air intake with an open filter (trust me, thats about the worst thing you can do next to running with no hood on the car!
a strait exhaust will help with that sound but again, you are performing a widely regarded as illegal in most places. not sure on finland but usually places don't like it when you do this and its generally (unless your devoting your car to a track car that hardly ever sees miles, honestly a bad idea that does not actually gain much power (yes solves problematic issues but every car has those and keeping things in good maintenance honestly isnt a big deal. deleting the EGR and so forth is just well, it has its purpose but to get a better car out of it, no, not for a commuter.

The biggest issue you have here is that your turbo really isn't suited for that turbo sound you get from the fast and the furious movies. Its got mechanical stuffs inside that make is better than an ebay turbo and that chops up sound.
the only way to get that sound is to spend about 3 maybe 4 grand on a big turbo, and a massive tune and fueling to boot to make that turbo even spool up. whats your car worth? 5k? yea go soak that value in mods that basically make the car unsellable.

look. plain and simple, you want a car to go woosh, go buy a fox body mustang or a miata, or if you have class...... porsche boxster and throw an ebay turbo on it.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
I had a straight pipe in mine and that was all (completely stock). It was a pretty loud swoosh when you wanted it to be. People loved the car, and it was always turning heads and giving big smiles. Oddly enough my other beetle didn't have much turbo noise even with the same set up. it might just be something you have to try, and if it doesn't work go back to the way it was or how you like it best.

XxRoyaLPaynexX

TDI
2013 Jetta
I had a straight pipe in mine and that was all (completely stock). It was a pretty loud swoosh when you wanted it to be. People loved the car, and it was always turning heads and giving big smiles. Oddly enough my other beetle didn't have much turbo noise even with the same set up. it might just be something you have to try, and if it doesn't work go back to the way it was or how you like it best.
What exactly did you straight pipe? Im looking to hear more turbo noise on my '13 Jetta

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
What exactly did you straight pipe? Im looking to hear more turbo noise on my '13 Jetta
I removed the cat, and the muffler. First the cat because it rusted out. sounded good when idling or moving slow, but soon as you started going the whine was gone. Once i removed the muffler it was a lot better, and had a nice swoosh to it when i switched gears.

XxRoyaLPaynexX

TDI
2013 Jetta
I removed the cat, and the muffler. First the cat because it rusted out. sounded good when idling or moving slow, but soon as you started going the whine was gone. Once i removed the muffler it was a lot better, and had a nice swoosh to it when i switched gears.
Don't suppose you have a video of it?

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Think so. I'd have to figure out how to upload that. i'll give it a shot over the next couple days. I might just do a youtube link (think it might be easier).

keep in mind this is a 01 alh your running a newer car, might sound different

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
until then honestly sounds just like this. first 20 seconds are an accurate description. i also have a video of plain post turbo header dump driving around town (not quite by choice). it sounds really nice, but if you do a ton of highway driving droning can become a little annoying (at times) though it isn't all that bad/loud. over all i really enjoyed the mod. biodsl doesn't have this mod, but i enjoy it almost as much. the times it's the most fun is to build boost then dump it just after passing people on the side walk. I have never gotten a frown. everyone thought it was so funny to see a lifted lime green beetle making funny noises, and cruising about town. Always a good time in that car 😁