I want a simple, effective tune.

willydiesel

TDI
2003 golf 2 door
I've done all the research, I usually start inching for the KermaTDI tune but always get talked out of it.

I have a stock alh wagon, I'm planning on doing a VNT17, 3 bar map, 2.5 down pipe, nozzles, what should I use for a controller? I want one with as much user interface as possible, and one that I can, if need be, adjust if I do further enhancements. I got talked out of the Kerma Qpro because I could apparently get a better tune for cheaper, I would rather pay extra coin for better reliability and user interface. Advice?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Well unless you plan on doing the file modification yourself, you're going to be better off with an ecm flasher like what the tuner vendors offer. Really the only options they offer is to copy the ecm image, or write an image file to the ecm, there isn't any 'make changes on the fly' settings in them.
I have a wagon myself and went with exactly the hardware you're thinking of, and very happy with it, but I went with Malone for a tune, and used a local vendor to install the tune for me. I didn't want the hastle of a flasher giving me headaches.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
A bigger turbo-VNT-17, bigger nozzles, 3 bar MAP sensor, and a 2.5" down pipe will make a HUGE difference. This setup would generally be a Stage 4 Tune with a max boost pressure of 24 PSI. A set of .216 nozzles will be more than enough for this type of tune. I have .216 nozzles, a hybrid turbo with a max boost of 24 PSI, a 3 bar MAP sensor and stock exhaust. My Jetta hauls a$$ and doesn't eat too much fuel either. I had Mike at TDTuning.com do my tune and I could not be happier. This is the third custom tune Mike has written for me, as I have changed hardware a couple of times since I bought my car.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
What are your goals for the car? I bought my '02 Wagon new, and have done and undone a lot of mods over the years. Wore out one engine, replaced it with a new long block 120K miles ago. I've had an Upsolute tune (how's that for ancient history?), Rocketchip Stages 3, 4, 5, 6, and now 3+. Used a stock turbo and, for years, a 17/22. Right now am running a stock turbo with RC3+, PP357 injectors, 11mm pump, stock internals in the engine, PD150 breathing mods, 2" downpipe with no cat and stock exhaust. Car has plenty of power (about 140/260 at the wheels) and is getting 50+ MPG, even runing at 80-90 on the highway. Taller 5th, too.

Why am I sharing this? Because, it's important to know what you're looking for before selecting hardware upgrades and a tune. I love the stock turbo because it spools RIGHT NOW, unlike any other I've tried. I get boost in 4th at 1000 RPM. No smoke, great FE. And enough power, for me at least. The fueling mods I have are the right combo for the turbo, and deliver adequate power with great economy. I like this setup better for the street than the 17/22, PP502s, and RC6 I ran for years, although that setup was killer on the track.

I don't usually make recommendations, but you should have Jeff at Rocketchip tune your car. My suggestion is to buy another ECU (just get the exact same part number) and send it to him. (Or you can send him your ecu if it's ok to have the car down for a few days). He can delete the immobilizer so it'll work, and ask him for an ASV base tune. The Euro base tune is much more responsive than the ALH one. And I assume you're deleting the EGR, which the ASV doesn't include. He'll tailor the tune the turbo and fueling mods you select.

Jeff will get the tune right the first time. You won't need to adjust it. He's only re-tuned my car (first tune was in 2004) when I've made changes. I've been driving on my current tune for 5 years and have zero issues. My .02.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
A second recommendation for Rocketchip, I've played with my IQ a bit as I've made mods with intakes and intercoolers.
But the tune is rock solid, and get the immobiliser removed whichever way you go with the ECU.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Knowing what I know now, I don't believe I would have gone through all the hardware changes that I have; I look at it his way: with Indigo Blue Wagon having all of the "cool parts" available to him at discounted prices, and an almost unlimited combination of go fast parts available. He chose to use a stock turbo, small nozzles and an 11mm pump, and has nothing but great things to say about it, I may have followed his lead and saved a bunch of time and money.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
To add to the above post, when I had Mike's Stage 3 tune using the stock turbo and .205 nozzles, I got great FE and plenty of oomph too. I live at 4600' and writing a tune to boost correctly at altitude (18PSI) and at Sea Level also 18PSI works flawlessly. I tried a different tuner to see if they had any tricks, they did not. I wanted a Stage 4 tune, and they wrote a Stage 3 tune, based on elevation that had 15 or 16 PSI at WOT instead. I did not have a good experience, got part of my money back and end of story.